Bulldog Spoiler
Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Moore, OK
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda A.K.A Sassy Pants & Mighty Mack A.K.A. Fat Peanut
Ok, hubby has decided to let me try. How do i start? Matilda is 10 months and weighs 45 or 50 pounds.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
You need [MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION] ..[MENTION=2242]karenben[/MENTION].. [MENTION=1906]GatorRay[/MENTION]..(mia)... I'm sure there are others..but my brain is tired! :ROFL:

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I'll pm you the Yahoo rawfeeding group. If you search the archives, they have a lot of tips for newbs. :)

Stig and Punkin both started with a chicken back and some ground green tripe, weighing 1lb total. I think [MENTION=1906]GatorRay[/MENTION]'s clan started with a chicken leg quarter. Our first goal was to ease them into the diet and figure out how much bone to give at first to avoid canon butt. After that, we tried a different meat, then organs, etc etc.

Remember to read everything you can on starting and don't be shy about asking questions. Gluck!

Last edited:
OP
Mack-N-MatildasMommy

Mack-N-MatildasMommy

Bulldog Spoiler
Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Moore, OK
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I'll pm you the Yahoo rawfeeding group. If you search the archives, they have a lot of tips for newbs. :)

Stig and Punkin both started with a chicken back and some ground green tripe, weighing 1lb total. I think @GatorRay 's clan started with a chicken leg quarter. Our first goal was to ease them into the diet and figure out how much bone to give at first to avoid canon butt. After that, we tried a different meat, then organs, etc etc.

Remember to read everything you can on starting and don't be shy about asking questions. Gluck!

I got it!!! Thank you. Waiting on acceptance.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
well i switched annie back to kibble out of desperation and guess what after almost 3 weeks of kibble feeding ive gone back to raw!!!!,annies face is just a real mess,was advised to try kibble again after 8 months on raw but i have to say she is worse,just when i think shes getting better boom it starts again,oh well back to the drawing board lol,as said above feed 1 protien for a few weeks same for bone content ,remember sloppy poops up the bone ,too hard poops less bone,the key is patience which a lot of us havnt got when it comes to these dogs lol,good luck and if you need advice us raw feeders here can help,i use ***link removed***http://dogfoodchat.com/forum/they are fantastic and have been raw feeding years,well done for feeding raw and gooid luck,karen

Last edited by a moderator:

Bully Ma

Oct 11, 2011
Massachusetts
Bulldog(s) Names
Lamb Chop
Im thinking about switching back to raw as well. Why did you switch back to raw?
Lamby is getting really bad tear stains. Im not sure if that is related to the heat she is in now?
She is a year old now, I had her on Orijen as a young puppy and switched her to raw once and then back to Orijen in the summer becaue no on will board her on a raw diet.
Im concerned about switching her back because Im afraid Im not giving her everything she needs. vitamine and mineral wise. I was doing chicken and some beef and supplementing with fishi oil and the "Barf" supplement. Im wondering if the supplement is enough to fill in the missing gaps of nutrition?

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
dont worry too much regarding supplements ,just get your bully transitioned onto raw,most raw feeders dont do supplements unless there is a health issue .just chicken for a few weeks then very slowly other meats,leave the organs till the very last unless like my bulldog they have a cast iron stomache!!!,the site that i posted above is fantastic and they have a barf section too now,thats if you want to include veggies and stuff,just remember to take it slow and be patient ,ive raw fed for 9 months but have to admit to going back to kibble as annie has allergies ,the kibble lasted 2 weeks lol,her chin was a mess and the amount of poops was crazy and she smelt terrible ,i dont mean farting it was her whole body yuk,i think i need to put her in a bubble as we know wool is a culprit but cannot trace what else is making her itch,perhaps its humans which is not un heard of !!,good luck and enjoy raw feeding ,karen

Bully Ma

Oct 11, 2011
Massachusetts
Bulldog(s) Names
Lamb Chop
Thanks! She was fine on the Orijen until a week or two before her heat then she got tear staning really back and ear infections. yuck!

Dante

Jul 20, 2011
I started feeding chicken quartes. After he got used to it i bought whole chickens which i take appart. I feed my 45lb puppy about 1.5- 1.8lbs a day. Three days a week i supplement the chicken with kidneys and a tbs of plain yogurt. Two times a week i also put a whole raw egg with shell and everything as an appetizer, he loves it! To supplement, i give him GNC puppy chewable vitamins i bought from petsmart. When i was feeding orijin, I was spending about $140 a month plus the vet visits due to allergies and other simptoms. After switching to raw I'm spending only about $35 dollars a month! My dog loves it, he has lots of energy, doesn't smell, drinks little water, and the poop is odorless and dry. In my oppinion swiching to raw was the best thing I ever did for my dog.
IMG_0664.jpgIMG_0666.jpgIMG_0667.jpg

OP
Mack-N-MatildasMommy

Mack-N-MatildasMommy

Bulldog Spoiler
Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Moore, OK
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
@Dante Well, I am glad Matilda is not the only one who stands up while she eats.

It has been 15 days of raw and I :heart: the benefits!! No smell what so ever, poop is awesome and she is very happy.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
once your dogs get onto the red meats,beef,heart and the like ,i would then cut down on the supplements,if the beef is grass fed then there will be plenty of omega and trace minerals that they need,unless your dogs have any healtrh issues,and watch the bone content its early days and constipation may rear its ugly head if that happens then just cut back on bone for a few days,well done for going raw your both doing well and your bullys will be happy and content ,karen

breelbosley

Aug 31, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Butter
Hello, I was given a recipe for the barf diet of chicken, grains, carrots and olive oil. However, she still has the constant itching, liking of paws and horrible oder. Does anyone have any advice on what I can feed her?

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Barf diet doesn't consist any kind of grains. I would ditch the grains. Even a lot of kibble is grain free. How long have you been feeding him like that? After the start you need to feed at least 3 different sources of protein.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.