So I stopped raw feeding Tyson

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
I tried , I followed all the advice I read about slow introduction of new proteins, bone to meat ratio organ meats how much to feed ect. Well his :poo: never did become normal.We gave it a month but he struggled between constipation and diarrhea every day . We are just gonna stick with a good dog food and hope that works out better for him.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
His system may just can't handle it, good luck with the dry. Let us know how it goes.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
thats a shame but you have to do whats best for you and your dog,he probably had poo problems if you fed different protiens and organs so early into raw feeding ,usually at least a month on 1 protien usually chicken and no organs for at least until other protiens have been fed and the dog has got used to the diet,never mind at least you were open minded enough to try,karen

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
You and Tyson will be fine..you tried and I'm sure like everything else with these guys..there isn't a perfect answer for every dog! Don't feel guilty or sad..I'm proud of you that you tried it! Tyson will thrive..because you :love: him...

OP
dozersmama

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
[MENTION=2242]karenben[/MENTION] , we stuck with chicken and I added in chicken liver on occasion because of advice I got to help ease constipation. If you ideas i'm totally open to them. I am disappointed about having to switch him.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
[MENTION=1665]dozersmama[/MENTION] i have no experience with raw feeding so cant add to that but you do what you have to do. maybe one of the others who do raw can help with your problem. i know its the best way to go if you can do it. if not there are plenty of kibble to choose from for tyson. he will be ok either way im sure.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I give you big Kuddos for trying!! I know it is good for the bully's and I have done everything in my power to help Vegas with his allergies, this is where I have to draw the line, I am funny about meat as it is, I would :barf: If I fed Vegas raw. I think it is a great idea, but it is personal for me, I applaud all that do!!!! He will do fine when you find the right food. That is the problem...finding the right food...I hated the trial and error stage we had to go through!!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
aweeee [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] I know you must be disappointed, It's not easy with this breed,,,ever. don't beat yourself up for trying. I admire the fact that you tried. Wish I could get on board with my pack.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I agree, dont beat yourself up my gosh. I think of it like breast feeding. Yes it is better for the baby obviously, unless the parent doesnt eat the best maybe? BUT not everyone can for their own reasons. In the end formula is just as good as breast millk and the babies will thrive on either. Same for you. I hope the search to find the right food is not so long.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
@karenben , we stuck with chicken and I added in chicken liver on occasion because of advice I got to help ease constipation. If you ideas i'm totally open to them. I am disappointed about having to switch him.
all i can say is that if you still want to feed raw then only feed him chicken backs/frames for 2 weeks,yes he will loose some weight but that will not hurt him in the long term,this is how i started annie off,any organs must only be fed after he has fully got used to other protiens some dogs can take a fast transition some cant,in the begining if annie got constipated i gave her ground pumpkin seeds and that always shifted her,she never got loose poops as her stomache is cast iron lol, without hijacking this thread i must tell you what problems im having with annie,as you know i started raw feed 8 months ago after i started her on a high protien f4d ,thats when the itching started,well her itching has gone off the scale this past 2 weeks so i phoned another breeder to have a chat and between us we came up with the idea of perhaps annie cannot take too much protien!!!,well im a great fan of raw feed i think its the best way to feed a dog BUT sometimes it doesnt always suit so i have discontinued raw for a couple of months and put her on the original food which was james wellbeloved which is lower protien with no cereal or additives or so they say!!!,well i have to admit that her itching is reducing and her belly and pits not so red and angry,so who knows perhaps the very high protien levels are way too much for her and causing her problems,i am loathed to stop raw feed but have to try and do whats best for my dog and not for me,so you see dozersmama raw may not always be the answer but ALWAYS worth trying,karen

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online