Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raw Food Diet for Rambo is going GREAT

Bulldog(s) Names
    Rambo
    Likes (Received)

Default Raw Food Diet for Rambo is going GREAT

Just as the title says, its going great! Darn dog eats better than I do though haha
    He just has one tiny problem, his front teeth suck with tearing haha poor baby has a hard time with skin and fats.

Today he had a 3 pound turkey leg! thing was massive, and i think he got full and tired of chewing, it was his breakfast and dinner haha
    The one thing I really dont like about feeding turkey legs and such, is the bone. The turkey bone splinters so badly and Rambo doesnt seem to chew and break down the bone since his mouth is so big he just gulps it lol So I dont think he'll be getting turkey anymore, for that factor.

Other than that, his coat is amazing and his poop is the best its ever been! its great only having to clean up so little!!!!
    Today he got a bath and you can tell so much what feeding raw has done to help with him. his coat has always been soft, but my goodness its like a baby right now haha

He sends out his love to all his secret girlfriends out there!
    -298209_10150317077011622_578361621_8061708_628879372_n-jpg

Bulldog Vet in Training karenben's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Hilda
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Raw Food Diet for Rambo is going GREAT

well done ,mine wont touch turkey !!!,but then shes off all white meat at the moment,i think there is just too much sodium in it,it makes her itchy!!!,do you soak the chicken/turkey ,unless its free range it can be loaded with sodium so be careful,their coats do become very soft on raw though,karen

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Woohoo! That's fantastic to hear. I stopped giving turkey legs as well. But they do eat the wings and neck. I actually bought three 15lb utility turkeys (not the butterball kinds!) a couple of weeks ago, they were on sale because Thanksgiving here passed. And, oh man, it was a work out preparing them to put in individual baggies. But I did get a considerable about of meat, only threw out the leg and back bones.
    "I am normally not a praying man, but if you really are up there, please save me Superman!'' - Homer J. Simpson

Bulldog(s) Names
    Rambo
    Likes (Received)

you know, we dont rinse off the chicken or turkey, I'll have to talk to my fiance about the sodium, I know he does look into what he buys with the meat. Both my dogs are on raw, my other dog is an american/pitt mix, and she has no problem with the turkey legs, she learned herself she needs to crush up the bone so she has no problem with it, but rambo just has to much of a hard time with it, so he'll stick to the necks and such.

and as for the amounts, we try not to give to much chicken in rambos diet just because he was allergic to it with the cooked process, so we dont want him to form an allergy to it if we feed to much. BUT theres a HUGE sale going on at Safeway for chicken quarters, 69 cents a pound!!!!!!!
    yeah, we are stocking up haha just like we did with the whole chickens when they sold those for 89 cents a pound!

but yeah other than all that, rambo is doing pretty good, his only problem is tearing it up, he hasnt quite learned to use his paws yet, so Chad has to help him out sometime haha, and as for my other dog diamond, shes done with her food eatting bone and all so fast! she has the teeth for it though haha

Do any of you like to feed a certain food on raw?

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I give chicken and turkey more than any other only because they're the cheapest. But I do try to feed the more grassfed meat, such as venison and goat. Their week usually consists of, in no particular order:

Day 1 - chicken quarter + some sort of boneless meat such as tripe or ground beef muscle
    Day 2 - turkey neck and venison
    Day 3 - chicken quarter + some sort of boneless meat such as tripe or ground beef muscle
    Day 4 - goat
    Day 5 - lamb or venison + turkey neck if necessary
    Day 6 - chicken quarter + some sort of boneless meat such as tripe or ground beef muscle
    Day 7 - turkey

My rule is that they eat chicken 3x a week the most so they won't develop an allergy like you said. Can't risk having to avoid the cheapest protein available. I sneak in duck, rabbit, fish and organs here and there. We also monitor the amount of beef and pork they eat because those are the ones that are given the most hormones. Unless they're organic, of course.
    "I am normally not a praying man, but if you really are up there, please save me Superman!'' - Homer J. Simpson

Bulldog(s) Names
    Rambo
    Likes (Received)

we try and give my dogs variety with each meal, so we bounce from chicken, to turkey, to pork, and sometimes beef. We dont give ground beef. and along with their meat source we usually give them a little organ, so this morning they had chicken with a side of beef kidney. We like to feed them different organs from different animals, we have beef heart in the freezer that they'll get sometime haha its a whole lot of heart, gotta love those butchers haha

We really like ribs to feed them, we find the ones with good meat to bone ratio, but we notice that even rambo takes a lot of time on the bone, he savors them haha so when it came to beef bone, he wanted to keep it for the next day haha we throw in some little fishies once and a while too. I so want to buy a whole crab for them both just to see how long it would take for them to eat it haha

Bulldog(s) Names
    Poppy, Bunk
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Danielle Cope View Post
    we try and give my dogs variety with each meal, so we bounce from chicken, to turkey, to pork, and sometimes beef. We dont give ground beef. and along with their meat source we usually give them a little organ, so this morning they had chicken with a side of beef kidney. We like to feed them different organs from different animals, we have beef heart in the freezer that they'll get sometime haha its a whole lot of heart, gotta love those butchers haha

We really like ribs to feed them, we find the ones with good meat to bone ratio, but we notice that even rambo takes a lot of time on the bone, he savors them haha so when it came to beef bone, he wanted to keep it for the next day haha we throw in some little fishies once and a while too. I so want to buy a whole crab for them both just to see how long it would take for them to eat it haha
    Heart is considered muscle meat not organ.. It's my dogs main protein at the moment since it's so cheap!

Bulldog Vet in Training karenben's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Hilda
    Likes (Received)

ox heart is annie main meat its a great omega source too ,any grass fed meat is the best meat too feed,karen

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston
    Likes (Received)

Have any of you tried Darwin's raw food? That is what I am currently feeding Winston and he loves it.

Real Name
    Amanda
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank & Zeus
    Likes (Received)

Hi, y'all! I'm new and into starting raw diets,.. Just not quite sure on how to start.. any help would be great,. And as you can tell I haven't figured out how to creat my own conversation thing lol

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Akgvine View Post
    Hi, y'all! I'm new and into starting raw diets,.. Just not quite sure on how to start.. any help would be great,. And as you can tell I haven't figured out how to creat my own conversation thing lol

Well first we must say to the family. Next, I just started raw feeding last Friday, so today is day 7. what a difference. Since I have multiples, I'm grinding my own food. Chicken. Most raw feeders start out with chicken. Just give them a raw Chicken leg quarter. But my hubs won't have any of that, so it's grinding for me. Bone and all after a few weeks , then I will introduce one meat at a time.
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

Real Name
    Amanda
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank & Zeus
    Likes (Received)

Did you stop cold turkey from kibble? And... Are you doing just raw meat or are you throwing in fruits veg.. Ect..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads