Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Raw Food Diet for Rambo is going GREAT

Quote Originally Posted by Akgvine View Post
    Did you stop cold turkey from kibble? And... Are you doing just raw meat or are you throwing in fruits veg.. Ect..

Cold turkey, I'm going to pm you a video. only thing different is I don't give a whole drum, I grind it all
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

Bulldog Vet in Training anatess's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

Hi @Akgvine. Welcome! If you put Prey-Model Raw on a google search, you'll find tons of information on it. There's also another method called BARF (Biologically Appropriate Raw Food) which is a different method to PMR. But here's the basics on PMR: 80% muscle meat, 10% bone, 5% liver, 5% other secreting organs. Heart, gizzards, tongue, tripe are organs but count as muscle meat as far as raw dog food is concerned. Kidneys, pancreas, spleen - these are counted as organs. The BARF method differs slightly from PMR due to the addition of a little bit of fruits, veggies, and supplements that PMR method only consider non-essential extras.

Okay, depending on the size and activity level of your dog, you would want to start out at around 2-3% of his ideal adult weight. More for active dogs, less for not-so-active dogs. So, a 50lb dog can start out at 1-1.5lbs of raw food per day.

To switch from kibble, if you have an adult dog, you can go and fast him for 24 hours. Give him plenty of water which can be ice-cube treats if your dog likes that. Then you start with one type of raw meaty bones without organs. At this stage you can have a higher bone to meat ratio just to start off with to alleviate loose stools. Most people start with chicken because the bone is softer than other type of meaty bones and it is cheap. So, this would be my schedule:

For a 50lb dog, you need 2 whole chicken (around 4-5 lbs each) for week 1. Chicken is about 30% bone to meat ratio. Whole chicken from the regular grocery are usually packaged without organs. This is how I cut up the chicken: 1.) Cut off both legs at the thighs to give 2 pieces of meat. Separate the back from the breast. Cut the breast down the center so that your breast will have wings attached.
    Day 1 - Chicken back. Yes, this will be a small bony meal. This is good while your dog is in transition.
    Day 2 - Both of the chicken thighs (if you have a small dog, you can separate the drumstick from the thigh, if you have a 50lb dog, the entire thigh will be safer for him to crunch as he won't be able to swallow the thing whole and choke on it).
    Day 3 - One breast and wing
    Day 4 - Another breast and wing
    Day 5 - The chicken thighs of the second chicken
    Day 6 - One breast and wing of the second chicken
    Day 7 - One breast and wing of the second chicken

If the dog is getting loose stool, give him the 2nd chicken back for the next meal. Notice there is no organs on this yet. Organs are very rich and dogs tend to get loose stool with organs.

Do this for week 2 as well. On week 3 you can introduce another meat source. I suggest either pork or beef. Boneless pork butts are fairly cheap. Beef is a little bit more expensive. Stick with the same meat source for a week. Weight bearing bone on pork and beef will be too dense for your dog to crunch, so I would avoid them. You can introduce a different meat source on week 4 or you can just stick with the 2 meat sources for now. By week 5 your dog should be ready for organs. I would start with just 1 ounce of liver for one meal then no organs again for the next 2 meals and see how he does. If no problems, you can start increasing the amount of liver. You can either feed organs 1 day a week to constitute the 5% liver and 5% organs for the entire week or you can spread this out into a daily serving. It's up to you. Oh, and don't forget fish. Your dog needs the good oils - Omega 3 especially, to balance out the Omega 6's he's getting from the meat fat. If you're feeding grass fed beef or free range chicken (expensive!) then it has a more balanced Omega 3 to Omega 6. Also, you can add Omega 3 fortified eggs - just drop one whole crushed egg in there shell and all.

After a few months of this, your dog should be ready for whole prey - like one whole rabbit, skin and all.
    Last edited by anatess; 02-21-2013 at 10:57 PM.

I got Bullied and loving it!
    Bella "Bullie" Rose, adopted on July 24, 2011

Real Name
    Amanda
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank & Zeus
    Likes (Received)

Wow thank you! That is a big help, I'm so excited )

agingermom's minion and cabana boy Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    jimmy
    Country
    Scotland .
    Bulldog(s) Names
    diesel - paisley & nula
    Likes (Received)

Does raw food make bulldogs fart more ??

Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjj View Post
    Does raw food make bulldogs fart more ??
    No. There's nothing special about raw food that would cause increased flatulence in your dog.

agingermom's minion and cabana boy Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    jimmy
    Country
    Scotland .
    Bulldog(s) Names
    diesel - paisley & nula
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by anatess View Post
    No. There's nothing special about raw food that would cause increased flatulence in your dog.
    Ahhh but then i have no one 2 blame

Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjj View Post
    Ahhh but then i have no one 2 blame
    Lol!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12