Hardest decision I've ever made...

momtodozer

Our boxer Lady is 11.5. Her health has begun to decline quickly. After multiple tests, xrays, blood work they have ruled out spreading to the chest area of her mammory tumor and kidney failure. Her rear end has literally given out on her and she is struggling just to get up and walk. She took a fall down our deck steps last Fri and since then she has barely been able to get around. The ER vet gave her some pain meds and said to watch her for a few days. My regular vet said to give it a week and if she is still not able to get around then I needed to make a decision on her quality of life. My heart is broken. I have had her since she was 8 weeks old and I cannot even begin to express my love for her. I keep looking into her big eyes and wondering if she is hurting and if keeping her around is unfair to her. But I'm not able to make the final decision. I keep praying that she improves but she seems to be getting worse and not better even on the pain meds. I am struggling with the decision of putting her down too soon if it is just an injury that needs to heal or if the decline in health and her ability to even get around will continue to get worse. I know I need to wait a few days but watching her stumble, fall and just lay there is breaking my heart. I know there are probably others out there that have dealth with this same decision and I wondered on your thoughts or advice. Thanks for listening.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Oh I'm so very sorry. Yes..unfortunately we have been in this horrible place too many times over our 38 years of marriage. It is absolutely the hardest thing we've EVER had to do...and it NEVER gets easier. Just last year we lost 2 of the best dogs ever. The pain is still there and when I read your post..I felt like I was back there..making that decision all over again. What you have to focus on is how much you love her..how much she's given to you and this is actually a way to pay her back for all those years together. I just believe we owe our critters as pain free existence as possible. Her quality of life is what you should come to term with. There are really no words that I can pass on to you to ease what you have before you. It's the hardest part of loving an animal and living up to their love for you. Try to keep her pain free and use these last days together to love her..and prepare to let her go. In time you will look back on all the joy she gave you and your heart won't feel so heavy. I'm so sorry...:hug:I also want to add..this..I believe..is one of the biggest of life's lessons we learn from our animals. They teach us many..many things..and while by far the very hardest...it's another one.

Last edited:

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] said it well. I can't offer advice just pass along a :hug:.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Oh dear, I too am so very sorry for the position you are in. I know of your pain. I wish I could reach out and give you a great big hug. My eyes fill with tears. My mom and dad are going through the exact same thing at this moment. You too will know when the time is right. So sorry dear.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I'm so sorry! [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] your comment is so true, it made me cry :cry:
Writing it made me cry too..and brought back all those sweet critters we have sent to the bridge. [MENTION=2888]momtodozer[/MENTION]...we are all in this together. [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] is correct..you will know.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
So sorry for you and I'm like everyone in that you will know when it is time.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I am sorry you are going through this. All you can do is keep her as comfortable as possible and spend as much time with her as you can. *hugs*

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
No advice here either. I do agree with [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] and you will know in your heart when the time has come. The fact that you are asking tells me your gut is kicking in. I am so sorry. So unfair for us to deal with this but I am thankful that at least we are able to help our babies to the bridge when they are hurting. I really wish we could do the same with our loved ones when necessary.

flbarbie04

Jul 28, 2010
Evansville, IN
Bulldog(s) Names
Maddison Jane and Meat Head
I am so sad to read about your Boxer Baby Lady.

I too had to make that same decision in Feb of this year with my Boxer Dozer. He was only 2 years old and suddenly developed multiple cancers...different types and ALL over his body. I tried with everything I had and everything I could to "save" him..I was being selfish too because I didn't want to let him go. My Bullies gave me strength and love during that time and everyday still. Not a day goes by that I don't think of him and miss him terribly. I am crying as I sit here and type this , wishing I could tell you something more comforting and positive.

The only advice I can give is to follow your heart...give her all the love and attention you can.
My heart truly breaks for you.

We will see them again at the Rainbow Bridge, they will be happy and healthy waiting there for us.

Take care..sending love and prayers your way.

L

Lucy-licious

I feel for you :hug: I believe Lady will help you to make this difficult choice as much as I know that Shep helped me when his time came.
I'm sorry for you and send you both a big :hug: Thinking of you both

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
You will know when it is time... My sons dog was so old and not able to stand, see or mentally function. I had to take her to the vet to be put down cause he couldn't handle the grief and drive. He did give her a long and tearful hug goodbye and told her she was a great dog.

4caff1b1-df04-30e3.jpg

OP
momtodozer

momtodozer

Bless you all for your words of comfort. It is so hard to make the decision. She got up this morning a little better and although I had to carry her down our deck steps she is moving around a bit easier today. I am just taking it day by day (sometimes hour by hour) I am loving on her and sharing tears and laughter with her over past memories. I know she can barely hear but I know she feels the love we have for her. But knowing that others are out there that have been through this and feeling your thoughts and prayers mean the world. I am so glad that I found this site and truly look forward to making so many new wonderful friends!!!

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Aaww my heart breaks for you, I have been there with a doberman that had cancer so bad he could not stand, It is such a hard decision and it is your decision you will know. Prayers of strength coming your way!

SunDog

Mar 26, 2011
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Lupe (or Lulu)
I am so sorry for you. I went through it with my 16 year old shepherd. People said I "would know" but honestly at the time I doubted myself and I kept procrastinating. Just one more week, I kept telling myself. Only on that day when I finally called the vet did I realize I was absolutely doing the right thing. When I held her head and thanked her for being such a great dog I could feel her thanking me for helping her find relief. Good luck and stay strong.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.