Hardest decision I've ever made...

OP
momtodozer

momtodozer

Yesterday was one of the most heart wrenching days I've ever experienced. After watching her fall a number of times in and around the house I called the vet. The kids got to say their goodbyes and thanked her for her wonderful companionship and protection throughout their lives. I was able to be with her and hold her head until the end. She went very peaceful and when I watched the life drain out of her eyes I knew that she would never suffer again. The pain I felt on the other hand was like nothing I have experienced before. I know I will grieve her for sometime but I try to remember all the funny, crazy and humerous things she had done throughout our lives together. My kids and I laid on the bed and I told them stories about when she was a puppy and things that they wouldn't remember. It was a wonderful bonding time with them. I also have felt a lot of comfort having Dozer around. Although nothing could ever replace her, he has been a comfort for me. I would like to again thank you all for your kind words and thoughts. They meant a lot to me. It is one of the hardest decisions I've ever had to make but I feel a peace knowing that she will never suffer or hurt again and that she crossed the Bridge and is running with all those beautiful companions that have went before her!! RIP Lady girl!!!

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
tears are running down my face this morning for you!! I had to put my lab down 4 years ago and I still grieve. It does get easier, but I miss him everyday. I have his collar with all of his tags still on them hanging from my rear view mirror in my suv and everytime I get in and go somewhere I kiss my fingers, touch his collar and ask his help in getting me there safely. You know deep down you did the right thing for her and just think of the wonderful lesson you are teaching your children about compassion and love by sharing memories with them of her.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
You and your family are in our thoughts today. Very sorry for your loss.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
With teary eyes I'm sorry that you're suffering such grief but I'm relieved that she no longer feels any pain. These times are harder on the living but she left you with many wonderful memories and I'm sure her spirit will still be with you. I have a picture of my baby bully "Snowflake" (RIP) on my mantle which I touch and cherish everyday.

4caff1b1-754a-63cd.jpg

Last edited:
L

Lucy-licious

angel_bulldog.gif

Poem: Don't grieve too long for now I'm free -- Author Unknown

[SIZE=-1]Don't grieve too long for now I'm free[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]I've followed the path God set for me[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]I ran to Him when I heard His call[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]I swished my tail and left it all.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]I could not stay another day[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]To bark, to love, to romp or play[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Games left unplayed must stay that way[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]I found such peace, it made my day.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]My parting has left you with a void[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Please fill it with remembered joy[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]A friendship shared, your laugh, a kiss[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Oh yes, these things I too shall miss.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Be not burdened with times of sorrow[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]I wish you the sunshine of tomorrow[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]My life's been full, you've given so much[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Your time, your love and gentle touch.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Perhaps my time seemed all too brief[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Don't lengthen it now with undue grief[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Lift up your head and share with me[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]God wanted me, He set me free![/SIZE]

RIP Lady

Last edited:

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
‎"Don't let your eyes get use to darkness, The light is coming soon. Don't let your heart get used to sadness, put your hope in what is true. No matter how the wind may blow it cannot shake the sun. Lay your sorrows on the ground,it's time to come back home.
When the future seems uncertain, like the coming of a storm
Your loving Father carries his children when they can't walk anymore."

~JJ Heller~

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Dear "momtodozer",

My sincerest sympathy for the situation you are in. Over the years I am sure that most everyone has been faced with this situation with either an animal or loved one. The decision on when will be based on the pain and suffering for your pet as well as for you also. I can empathize with you and know that the pain of the loss and the amount of crying will be severe.

This will happen and your support around you needs to be ready. Understanding who will cry or respond the hardest, you might end up being the support for someone else as well as for yourself.

This is even hard for me to write the response because of so many times dealing with this situation in my family over the years.

The joy of the memories will last forever in your heart and you thoughts. Spend EVERY available moment that you can NOW. This won’t last so even if this means missing days of work or not visiting with friends or family.

May God welcome all of our departed upon their arrival to Heaven.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
So sorry for your loss. Just cherish her memory and know she is not suffering any more, and know Dozer is there to help with your sorrow. Rest in Peace Lady girl.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Really, they are. Just remember the wonderful times and that she had a good life. Take care.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i found this thread to late to give words or encouragement before but as i sit here with tears in reading what i have i want to tell you that we all here share in your pain and i so hope that soon you will be able to remember without tears. that the pain will turn to good thoughts. lots of hugs from sarah and i. she was such a big comfort to me when we lost 2 dogs last year. i had other dogs but it was her that helped me make it through as im sure yours will to. many sorrows for your loss.

deegary

Jul 8, 2011
southport
Bulldog(s) Names
walter
my heart gos out to you both, iam crying my eyes out just reading the messages.... you will know what is right for your Lady..bless you both:hug:

Most Reactions