Kitty Health Problem Mystery

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I am hoping someone can help me. I have a 12-13 year old kitty that has, in the last 6-8 months, lost almost half of his body weight. He always seems starving, despite eating his normal amount.

I just took him to the vet and had a battery of tests run. The most common issues for a cat his age are hyperthyroidism and kidney failure. With the constant hunger and weight loss, I thought for sure it was hyperthyroidism but the test came up normal, as did all other body function tests.

Short of running more invasive (and expensive) tests on an older cat, does any have any guesses or experience with this? I am going to try changing foods to something better quality to see if that helps but I am at a loss.

My kitty, Buddy, is down to 5.8 pounds from a normal of 10 pounds or so.

Thank you!

L

Lucy-licious

Oh dear poor boy, I am at a loss my cats are 9 and 5 hrs old although my mums cat is now 18 yes old, he is thinner than he was younger but nothing like you describe. I really hope the food change works for him :hug:

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Have you tried FortiFlora? My two youngest cats had digestion issues when they were kittens and have been on this supplement for the last two years. Just use a teeny sprinkle now but I think it keeps them in good health. I also give them Viralys. Ask your vet to be sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Our kitty smokey did this....he ended up having cancer. The indicator we had at the beginning was when we had some urine tested for a bladder infection and it had a really high white cell count. I sure hope that isn't the case with your cat. Keep us posted.

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

I might try that supplement with his food and if that doesn't make a difference, I will have the urine test to see what happens. I don't think it's EPI since his stools are normal and he hasn't had a problem in the last 13 years or so.

I know this sounds terrible but Buddy is 13 years old. If he did have something bad, like cancer, I wouldn't go to heroic measures to keep him alive.

Well, I will see how the diet and supplement thing goes. I'm also trying to feed him when I feed the dogs so I can get a better sense of how much he's eating - instead of letting him graze.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I am the queen of old kitty problems..my old guy..who had every health problem a cat could get..just died a couple months ago. He was once a strapping 26 lbs and in perfect health. A few years ago he started losing weight and we found out he had a digestive disease..and had to be placed on hypoallergenic kibble. His body just wouldn't process his food correctly and ALL the nutrients were being disposed of. We were able to stabilize his weight and shortly after that he was found to be diabetic. He did well on insulin and actually put on a few pounds. Then in January..he once again started losing weight. He had an abscessed tooth and a huge cyst started growing almost overnight. His cyst was lanced and drained and he was given a super antibiotic. It was a horrible experience and now I wish I wouldn't have done it. The whole draining part was so hard on him and I now feel it was a mistake. He wasn't a candidate for surgery and his weight dropped to 6 lbs. We never knew his exact age..since he found us after being left behind by a**hat owners when they moved. Once a kitty gets so low in weight it is very hard to rescue their systems from totally shutting down. Iam so sorry [MENTION=860]sheshistory[/MENTION].. know how hard it is to go through this. I can only tell you what my vet said to me..cats are extremely difficult to diagnose and sometimes they accidentally happen upon a diagnosis..and most of the time a true diagnosis doesn't happen. I learned through my sweet Georges' experience..there is a limit to what they should endure. I once had a cat..Kizzy..live to be 20 years old..she was healthy all her life and in the end cancer whittled her down to 5 lbs. I currently have a 13 year old cat who 7 years ago was diagnosed with cancer from her immunizations. Apparently a common problem with cats..we did an extremely aggressive surgery on her and she survived. I was old it comes back 9 out of 10 times..and I know I would never do it again! I was not prepared for the extent of her surgery and she was young. You are correct,in my opinion..to think of your cats age before you proceed. They deserve that from us. Good luck. I know how you feel.

Last edited:
OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Thanks everyone and especially [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] for your response and PM - I really appreciate all the insights.

It's been a week since the diet change and new eating plan and I think Buddy is putting on weight. I am going to weigh him later today on a scale that measures ounces and see if he's put anything on over the past 7 days and will update you all!

Thank you!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Thanks everyone and especially [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] for your response and PM - I really appreciate all the insights.

It's been a week since the diet change and new eating plan and I think Buddy is putting on weight. I am going to weigh him later today on a scale that measures ounces and see if he's put anything on over the past 7 days and will update you all!

Thank you!

Crossing my fingers...Buddy is a lucky kitty..:hug:

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
My sister had a cat that got the feline AIDS. He lived with it until he was 15 (I think). He ended up losing so much weight, his teeth started falling out. Has he been checked for that?

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
My sister had a cat that got the feline AIDS. He lived with it until he was 15 (I think). He ended up losing so much weight, his teeth started falling out. Has he been checked for that?

No, not yet since I wouldn't treat him for it since he's old. The vet didn't lean toward that because he is in excellent shape other than the weight.

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
[MENTION=860]sheshistory[/MENTION] how is Buddy doing?? any more weight gain?

When I worked at a Vet Clinic, we had a clinic cat named Kitty. She was about 16 years old and was a beautiful Siamese mix..weighed about 10 lbs or so. She started getting mild diarrhea..then throwing up constantly, then having bloody diarrhea..it was just awful. She ended up getting down to about 2 lbs. :( They ran every test imaginable on her and tried their best to help her but we just couldn't figure anything out. We ended up putting her down because she was just so miserable and couldn't move and it was not a good life for her anymore. It was so sad; I bawled like a baby..I'd been working there for three years so I got quite attached to her. Cats are just so hard to treat and diagnose and it's so tough to watch them fall.

I really hope Buddy gets better and pulls through!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.