Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kitty Health Problem Mystery

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Norman, LeRoy and China
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Kitty Health Problem Mystery

My sister had a cat that got the feline AIDS. He lived with it until he was 15 (I think). He ended up losing so much weight, his teeth started falling out. Has he been checked for that?
    Ask the experimenters why they experiment on animals, and the answer is: "Because the animals are like us." Ask the experimenters why it is morally okay to experiment on animals, and the answer is: "Because the animals are not like us." Animal experimentation rests on a logical contradiction. ~Charles R. Magel

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog family View Post
    My sister had a cat that got the feline AIDS. He lived with it until he was 15 (I think). He ended up losing so much weight, his teeth started falling out. Has he been checked for that?
    No, not yet since I wouldn't treat him for it since he's old. The vet didn't lean toward that because he is in excellent shape other than the weight.

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive."
    Bentley (5.24.04 - 6.26.10) & Linus (1.10.06 - 7.31.13)

Delilah's Personal Slave Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lauren
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Delilah
    Likes (Received)

@sheshistory how is Buddy doing?? any more weight gain?

When I worked at a Vet Clinic, we had a clinic cat named Kitty. She was about 16 years old and was a beautiful Siamese mix..weighed about 10 lbs or so. She started getting mild diarrhea..then throwing up constantly, then having bloody diarrhea..it was just awful. She ended up getting down to about 2 lbs. They ran every test imaginable on her and tried their best to help her but we just couldn't figure anything out. We ended up putting her down because she was just so miserable and couldn't move and it was not a good life for her anymore. It was so sad; I bawled like a baby..I'd been working there for three years so I got quite attached to her. Cats are just so hard to treat and diagnose and it's so tough to watch them fall.

I really hope Buddy gets better and pulls through!

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

Sorry I have been so slow to respond!

Buddy is doing okay. He has put on a few ounces and his horrendous behavior as a result of his appetite has improved.

I very much appreciate everyone's advice regarding the difficulties in diagnosing a older cat's medical issues. This is my first major issue with a cat and I sort of don't know where to go next with things but I feel better after reading everyone's great advice and feel I am on the right track in terms of providing practical solutions to hard to determine problems!

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive."
    Bentley (5.24.04 - 6.26.10) & Linus (1.10.06 - 7.31.13)

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Thanks so much for the update @sheshistory. I've been wondering but figured you would let us know. Nothing like a kitty..especially a senior..to create mysteries! At least he's eating and not losing weight!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank
    Likes (Received)

Maggie (one of my cats) had this issue also only she is almost 3. She kept losing weight like crazy and we did a battery of tests also and things kept coming back fine. then she ended up starting to puke as soon as she ate or get diarrhea found out she has food allergies and has ibs. we switched her food and she has improved greatly. she weighs 7lbs (shes little) the vet said he wants her up to 10lbs and said it can take a while for cats to get back where they need to be espicially if they are active like her.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads