Our new baby tortoises

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Just saw this thread!! I love desert tortoises! I want one so bad..whenever someone finds one or what they THINK is one..they bring it to me or call me to come see! But..alas..so far the rightful owners have come forth..and in one case..my hubby was driving down the street and found a huge ..what he thought was a desert tortoise..in the gutter! He brought it home...:hmm:...(again it's him!) after a day of treating it like a desert tortoise..we found out it was a red slider..very old and needed water..like a beautiful pond..[MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION]...so after much research we found a rescuer for him..and drove that turtle 2 hours away to it's new home!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] that's funny.... those tortoises are totally cool. Love your habitat set up for them. NICE job. ! you can almost see the happiness on their little faces. :)

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] my grandma raises desert tortoises. In fact if I remember correctly her girl just laid 5 eggs but you never know what will hatch correctly. I could get one for you if you really want. And if she has these to give to someone already there is always the next season. You arent that far from me if I remember correctly so it wouldnt be such a big deal. ;) Just putting that out there for you. :D

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
[MENTION=2156]Rosiesmom[/MENTION]..Your son is right! They do look like little grenades! :lmao:Cute little grenades.

Telly03

Community Veteran
Mar 31, 2010
Maryland
Bulldog(s) Names
Moses
I got into a conversation about tortoises at work and I mentioned yours... Well a coworker claimed he could get me one, I guess they are pretty popular here since you can let them roam the yard year round. He claims his neighbor never has to cut his grass with a single tortoise... So maybe soon.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Those are too neat! That's quite a living area Chip made for them. They do look like grenades, :hmm: never thought about that before.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Very cute.... I had a pet tortoise or maybe a turtle when I was two..... my sisters tell me I loved him, -- I have no memory of it other than the picture I have.

BTW... are you working on building a personal zoo?

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
How cute, do the dogs bother them? and do they ever eat those plants/flowers? We have them in our yard, can't remember the name.

Lantana - it's an annual here but down south it's probably a perennial. The butterflies LOVE it!

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
Lantana - it's an annual here but down south it's probably a perennial. The butterflies LOVE it!

That's it, yes, they are wild around here. I just chopped a mass down in the backyard. They were over my head and bushy. I chop them down to about knee level yearly. They grow like weeds.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
That's it, yes, they are wild around here. I just chopped a mass down in the backyard. They were over my head and bushy. I chop them down to about knee level yearly. They grow like weeds.

This will make you laugh: last year, I paid 3.59 for EACH tiny lantana plant for my front garden. Yes. And they died at the end of the season. hahahahahahaha I didn't buy any this year. It's really too cool for lantana do do anything phenomenal in Western WA weather.

I'm jealous! I love the stuff and the butterflies ---- and hummingbirds ----here adore it.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online