My basset hound and Molly

Miss Molly

Feb 18, 2011
Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
Got my rescue hound Saturday. Now, I am had been in process of adopting him before I found out about Molly. But had planned to get two dogs eventually anyway. He is older, they think around 8, and they had told me he does better around older, adult females.

Well, I of course just couldn't pass up Molly. So when they did the home visit, they brought a different basset along (Stretch was in a different state), and they thought Molly did great around that basset, and it wouldn't be a big deal for Stretch.

Well, he does seem to like her at times. But sometimes he gets a little cranky and will growl or bark at her to put her in her place. I can see that happening at first, to show her what he will not tolerate, but sometimes he does it if she is just walking close by or just sitting close by, not even bugging him.

I am hoping this will lessen soon (it's only been two days). I just wonder how much I should let that keep happening. Sometimes she just has this look on her face, like: what did I do? Poor girl.

But Stretch is a VERY sweet guy. I'm sure he's just nervous, he had been in his foster home since July. And they said his arthritis was probably sore from the long car ride when he was transported to Iowa.

Anyone know of anything I can do to help lessen the little spats?

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
That is how my baby bully and Boston were. Belly just wanted to play all the time and Gunner (13 years old) was so used to Cass who only played sporadically then wanted to nap all day. He was very snappy with her and hated her being close to him. He'd snarl his lip at her all the time. The trainer I talked to said to let him do it so the puppy learned her place in the pack. It took some time ( 2-3 weeks) and they actually lay close now and I'm not worried all the time he will try and bite her face off!
064.jpg
I wouldn't say they are pals just yet, but we're working on it. Give them time to get used to each other and I bet in time they will tolerate each other if not be buds!

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Awww a bassett, I love bassetts! So awesome that you rescued one! Well I know older dogs tend to get cranky and with arthritis I am sure there is some degree of pain experienced daily so that would make him a bit cranky as well. I'm sure it will be fine, they need some time to adjust and for Molly to learn her limits. Hope to see pics of the 2, I bet they make an adorable little pair! Oh also keep in mind bassetts are vocal dogs so maybe he is using that as his way of communicating to Molly. I have a beagle which is another vocal dog and she uses little growls to tell other dogs when they are bothering her. She isn't aggressive, it's never caused a problem between her and another dog.

OP
Miss Molly

Miss Molly

Feb 18, 2011
Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
Thanks guys! That makes me feel so much better. I know Stretch is not aggressive. It's not in his nature, and I know he is just being vocal. I will just let them work it out between themselves then. I am not worried about any actual biting or fights. I do think he likes her at times, it just is on his own terms. And definitely not when he is trying to nap! :)

I can wait for the day when hopefully I can get a pic of them snoozing together. Today was kind of close. Stretch was sleeping on a bed, and Molly laid down by his bed on the floor and took a little nap. :)

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
Awww! She has a big brother now!! I would keep an eye on them for now,just be on the safe side. I find that younger bulldogs looooveee to play with other dogs and get very exited to the point of crossing boundries sometimes. Mocha sometimes doesnt know when enough is enough:angel:!! But they will grow close soon enough!! Good luck!!!Bassets are so adorable!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online