Absolutely hearbroken....

OliviaB

Feb 18, 2015
Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Belle
I just received a devastating phone call from my parents. They have a farm about 2 hours away and my horse lives with them. I've had Bleu for 14 years, and sadly he's really feeling his age and going downhill fast. I got him when he was estimated to be 9. He was severely abused and starved by his previous owner but I have never known a sweeter soul. It took about a year of patient kind handling and then he blossomed into the most amazing horse I've ever known. Bleu has been with me through high school and he went away to another state with me when I moved for college. I spent many quiet nights in the pasture with him while other kids where partying and getting drunk. Bleu kept me out of trouble and listened to my problems. He was there when I got married, and he taught my babies how to ride. I'm crying as I type this because I can't imagine my life without him. He is my soul mate in horse form. For a long time, I was the only person he trusted and it forged an incredible bond between us. He is so amazingly wise and intelligent. I cannot fathom saying goodbye to him but realistically he is about 25 years old now and is hurting and losing weight rapidly. I don't know how to do this. He's my best friend...all I can do is cry. These are some pictures of us taken last summer.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I'm so sorry for what you are going through. Bleu has known a loving happy life because of you. My prayers to you and Bleu.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
My prayers are with you and bleu. I know how you feel. I had an Arabian Mare, whom I bought when she was 6 month old. Her Dam was brought over here with her foal, when General Patton rescued horses in WW2. That baby was my mare's mother,My girl lived to be 32 years old.She travelled with us whenever we moved. She was best friend. She would do anything I asked her to do. My sympathiies arre with you. It is very sad to lose a friend like that.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
A love like yours is a loss deeper than any words can describe
but your post is so beautifully eloquent I feel that love in my
heart. The pictures of the two of you together say it too...as
you say...Soul mates.

My sincere condolences as you gather courage to say goodbye
to Bleu. Thank you for rescuing him and giving Bleu such a long,
amazing & fabulous life with you & your family. GOD will take care
of Bleu as he waits for you in your time to arrive in Heaven.

Praying for you, Bleu & your parents that you receive GOD's comfort
& assurances of love, mercy & life everlasting with peace & joy. Amen.

OP
OliviaB

OliviaB

Feb 18, 2015
Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Belle
Thank you, everyone. I stayed up all night crying and going over old pictures of us. I know that he's still here and could hang on for awhile, but my gut tells me that he's nearing the end. He's always been a ridiculously easy keeper...like me he could look at food and gain weight. My dad also said it's obvious that he's hurting a lot with his arthritis. We are starting him on stronger pain meds and supplements to hopefully get his weight up, but I won't make him suffer. Selfishly I want him here as long as possible, but I have always promised him that he would never endure another day of pain from a human again. He went through enough abuse before I got him....his needs always come first no matter how much it kills me. I guess I've just been in denial about his age. He's always been extremely healthy so I haven't had to even imagine losing him. Now that it's a reality my heart feels like it's breaking. Here are some of my favorite pictures of him over the years...he's always been so big and beautiful.

He brings us his feed bucket when it's dinner time...smart boy :yes: And his favorite one is the pink one LOL...

My favorite picture of us ever...this is the bond I was talking about. I love him so much :cry:

OP
OliviaB

OliviaB

Feb 18, 2015
Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Belle
A love like yours is a loss deeper than any words can describe
but your post is so beautifully eloquent I feel that love in my
heart. The pictures of the two of you together say it too...as
you say...Soul mates.

My sincere condolences as you gather courage to say goodbye
to Bleu. Thank you for rescuing him and giving Bleu such a long,
amazing & fabulous life with you & your family. GOD will take care
of Bleu as he waits for you in your time to arrive in Heaven.

Praying for you, Bleu & your parents that you receive GOD's comfort
& assurances of love, mercy & life everlasting with peace & joy. Amen.

Thank you for your kind words. I've always told Bleu that when I get to Heaven he better be the first one there waiting on me.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
This breaks my heart. Im so sorry :(

You showed him what love is and you should be very proud of that. Your pictures are phenomenal, he is a very blessed soul to have you. ♡

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:cry: What a beautiful story and relationship... love the pictures and you can see the love and trust he has for you in his eyes! hugs and prayers to you all... enjoy your time with him and love those memories

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I know I posted before, but your pics are truly beautiful. God bless Bleu on his journey.

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
Wow how beautiful those pictures are of the two of you. You can just tell by them that you mean as much to Bleu as he does to you. Praying for you both during this very difficult time.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm so very heartbroken for you… I have never owned a horse, but I do understand the deep close connections that we are sometimes lucky enough to have w/animals. I have been fortunate enough to have those types of relationships, and you DO carry that love w/you the rest of your life. Your pictures are absolutely beautiful… sending hugs and prayers to you and your family :hug:

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
My heart goes out to you, he's in your heart forever.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Prayers to you during this difficult time. I couldn't agree anymore with you on being selfish. A lot of times we hold on to benefit us, and our feelings, my hearts breaks for you, but it's full for life & love you gave him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OliviaB

OliviaB

Feb 18, 2015
Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Belle
Prayers to you during this difficult time. I couldn't agree anymore with you on being selfish. A lot of times we hold on to benefit us, and our feelings, my hearts breaks for you, but it's full for life & love you gave him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a long talk with my father this afternoon. We both agree that his quality of life is rapidly declining although today he did eat better and was walking more normally. We are going to give him 2 weeks to see how the new meds work but Dad knows that I won't make him suffer. I will let him fight for as long as he wants to, but I won't make him hurt for my sake. I trust him and I know that he will tell me when he's ready to go....I just pray somehow we get more time :(

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online