ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Roxie started her Vetoryl a couple of days ago, and at first the only thing that we have noticed is very slight shaking… the vet has been contacting me daily, and this is normal w/this medication initially. One of the most common side effects of this med is gastric upset, and I've noticed the last two mornings that as soon as Roxie eats she will run outside to throw up some of her meal… sigh :( I had JUST transitioned her to the Merrick Grain-Free Chicken, and she seemed to be doing fine on it until we started this damn med which is for life BTW.

My question is this… should I just keep her on the raw patties and say forget it w/dry kibble?!! I'm assuming that raw is easier to digest… my biggest drawback was the expense, but I guess it doesn't matter at this point anyway. I'm just tired of going thru the food trials w/her and everything else that she has going on. She was doing fine on the raw patties… I was just trying to save some money, but at this point I don't care.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I'm sure you can guess my opinion...

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm sure you can guess my opinion...

Oh I know… Lol ;)
Well I'm NOT going to try to make the raw myself, I found the Natural Instinct Raw Patties in the freezer section of our local pet stores. Do you think that the raw is easier for dogs to digest?!! I mean it does make sense… it's more of a natural source of nutrition for them. I'm just trying to justify the cost in my mind… LMAO!!!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Well, in my opinion the less food, for dogs or for people, is manufactured the better it is. Kibble, no matter how good, needs to stay edible for, I don't know how long...year or two...in room temperature. It's like the german kiwi cakes where the best by date can be in about ten years from now....Think if you would only eat some meal-replacement....Freezed food is almost like fress.

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Well, in my opinion the less food, for dogs or for people, is manufactured the better it is. Kibble, no matter how good, needs to stay edible for, I don't know how long...year or two...in room temperature. It's like the german kiwi cakes where the best by date can be in about ten years from now....Think if you would only eat some meal-replacement....Freezed food is almost like fress.

You are right… and it does make sense :yes:

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] You could try soaking her food first, and see if that makes any difference. I have had some dogs that had to have their food soaked to make it soft. Nothing to do with med. though.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
i would go back to the patties... like you said she is going through a lot and if it helps or makes it easier... it is even less stress for you too

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
i would go back to the patties... like you said she is going through a lot and if it helps or makes it easier... it is even less stress for you too

I bought her more today, and it was $10.00 cheaper at the Pet Food Center :w00t: At least that makes me feel a little better about it… Lol

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I bought her more today, and it was $10.00 cheaper at the Pet Food Center :w00t: At least that makes me feel a little better about it… Lol

SWEET!

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington

Tracey, is this the Nature's Variety Instinct food you are getting her? if you subscribe to their email updates, you can get coupons. Not sure of the patties but I get coupons for "freeze dried raw meal"...is that something you can use?

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I think raw is better too. But, for an older dog that's been on cooked kibble her entire life.. i dunno..
I'd probably do a cooked protein for her and add in honest kitchen so she gets all her nutrients. Yeah, like [MENTION=8859]Marine91[/MENTION] does.

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tracey, is this the Nature's Variety Instinct food you are getting her? if you subscribe to their email updates, you can get coupons. Not sure of the patties but I get coupons for "freeze dried raw meal"...is that something you can use?

Yes it it, and THANKS for the info… I will definitely check that out. I get her the patties, I have never tried the raw meal...

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I think raw is better too. But, for an older dog that's been on cooked kibble her entire life.. i dunno..
I'd probably do a cooked protein for her and add in honest kitchen so she gets all her nutrients. Yeah, like @Marine91 does.

I'm going to look into the honest kitchen, but I went back to the patties and of course she stopped vomiting. As soon as she gets settled w/the meds I'm going to look into a food change. It's funny… most of the people on the cushings forums said they are giving raw to their senior/cushings dogs… I guess it's easier to digest.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
[MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] Since they have the experience, I'd probably listen to them then.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online