Jack and heartworm treatment

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
My sweet Jack just got his first injection for heartworm treatment last Thursday. So far he is doing really well. He hasn't been terribly sore, which is pretty common for the deep muscle injection--he doesn't seem to be sore at all. I haven't even had to confine him to his crate too much (I do when Winnie goes on her wild tears around the house because she wants Jack to join her!), since he's pretty calm normally. He's not supposed to run, jump, or play for 4 weeks! In a month, he will have the final 2 injections 24 hours apart, then another 4 to 6 weeks of inactivity.

I think everyone here takes excellent care of their dogs. But a word of warning: missing one single dose of heartworm preventative can result in your dog having an infestation. Jack was rescued from the shelter and was exposed before we adopted him. I've learned more about heartworms than I ever wanted to know. This treatment is hard on Jack and Winnie and me and this treatment is costing about $1,800, without any complications. I'm glad we didn't know he was heartworm positive, or we probably wouldn't have adopted him. He's such a wonderful dog and we're lucky to have him under any circumstances.

Anyway, so far so good! Keep your fingers crossed for no complications!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Poor fella! Sending you lots of love and prayers that all continues to go well

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm hoping everything turns out well, poor Jack, please let us know what happens.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I hope that everything goes well, Thanks for rescuing that sweet baby!!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.