ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I just got the call from the vet, Roxie does have cushings disease...

This website gives details on the disease, symptoms and treatments...
Treating Cushing's Disease in Dogs

Her vet wants to use Vetoryl to treat it, it's been used for years overseas and now approved here by the FDA. It has very mild side effects, so we are hopeful that she will be able to tolerate it. The downside of course, it's expensive... $143 a month, and that doesn't include the blood testing that is essential to make sure she has the correct dosage. Of course I told her we don't care about the cost, I just want my baby to feel better :(

I want to THANK you guys for all the prayers and support… it means the world to me and my family!!! :heartsign:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks for the update! Sweet Roxie... so happy you found out what is going on and can treat it.... hugs to you both.

I think itold you... I knew a Pug that lived with it till the age of 14

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Aww Tracey, I'm so sorry about Roxie's diagnosis, but glad that the vet was able to figure out what was wrong with her, and that it is treatable. It's such a worry when our babies get sick, and we want the best for them and so we don't care what the treatments cost, we just want them feeling better, and having their quality of life back, so we make it work. I know some medications can be very expensive. Sometimes you can get the same medications from the drugstore, rather than through your vet. The vet can write a prescription for you, and you can tak it to a drugstore to have it filled, it's usually a lot cheaper to buy drugs this way. Is this something you can do with your vet? It's worth looking into to, and see if you can get Roxie's medication at a cheaper rate.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
It's good know though and it's treatable, so hopefully you find the right dosage soon and she will be on the road to recovery:hug:

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
These babies are priceless, happy they diagnosed it. It's taken a while and hopefully she can get some relief.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Well at least you got an answer, now on to the road to recovery!! Or at least feeling a ton better!!

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
Roxie will be okay now that you know what's going on and can treat it! Good luck Tracey!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Thank goodness the waiting is over! Sobering news but happy you know
the enemy & it's treatable, hoping she gets on the correct dosage & feels
great, asap! GOD continue to bless & favor you & family, dear Tracey <3

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Happy that you finally know what is going on and can get to making Roxie feel like her new self!

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
Sweet Roxie! You give her lots and lots of lovins from me, ruthie and brutus. she deserves it. i hope she turns around and is back to her old self in no time! sending love and prayers!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
smartpak...1-800-461-8898.we searched everywhere for the best price.our milo has been on vetoryl since january.we pay 44.95 for 10mg-30 capsules 2 boxes;57.95 for 30mg-30 capsules 2 boxes and shipping is FREE.the are quick kind and courtious.located in plymouth,MA.it actually carries stuff for horses ,but they do have the medication our pups need. [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION]

OP
ddnene

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
smartpak...1-800-461-8898.we searched everywhere for the best price.our milo has been on vetoryl since january.we pay 44.95 for 10mg-30 capsules 2 boxes;57.95 for 30mg-30 capsules 2 boxes and shipping is FREE.the are quick kind and courtious.located in plymouth,MA.it actually carries stuff for horses ,but they do have the medication our pups need. @ddnene

Thanks Lynn, I still haven't heard from the vet yet so I'm not sure what dosage she will be on. Is there anything I should look out for as far as side effects? Did you change dog food?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
At least now you know the demons you're up against and have the chance to make her feel better! And yes, check around for better pricing on your meds- you can save big this way. Just be sure it's the exact med you require, and not some knock off that may be compounded differently.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Actually [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] that was not my dog-but someones quote on a Cushing's site. I do get catalogs from SmartPack for horses, so I know they are legitimate.
Just thought it might give you an option, as to price if that is the meds. you need. I should have stated that in my post-sorry.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Tracey, I'm sorry that Roxie has Cushings--I read the link you posted. Thank goodness it's been diagnosed and is treatable! I hope she will feel better as soon as she starts her meds. Hugs to you and Roxie!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online