Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 29

Thread: Cushings disease...

  1. #1
    EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    ddnene's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Posts
    12,722
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)
    5562

    Default Cushings disease...

    The vet called yesterday, and told me that Roxie's blood test confirms that she is more than likely suffering from cushings disease… since the holiday is upon us, we are scheduling her testing for Monday. The test for cushings is an 8 hour test...

    I'm curious if anyone has dealt w/cushings disease?!! Any advice or insight?!! I did some research last night, and Roxie DOES suffer from several of the symptoms. It's seems like something very common in older dogs, especially boxers. It can be controlled w/medication, so for that I'm grateful. I just want to do what I can to make her feel better

    Oh and on a side note… we have a NEW pet food center that just opened up, and I went in yesterday to get Roxie some new food. The staff there was amazing, and very educated about pet food (surprisingly)… Todd I saw that Honest Kitchen. How is Harlea doing on that?!! I ended up getting Roxie some raw patties (Nature's Variety) for now while I'm gone, and I think I'm going to try Merrick to see if she can tolerate it. Of course they didn't carry Fromm's… Lol

    Thanks guys

    "What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

  2. #2
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,140
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11479

    Default Re: Cushings disease...

    Poor Roxie... at least you are getting to the bottom of what is bothering her. I have no direct experience with Cushings, but I knew a guy that had a Pug with it... her name was Kisses and she lived with that and being blind till she was 12 yrs old. She was a pistol too - she was on a daily med and lots of bathing to control odor

    sending lots of love and hugs to you both
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  3. #3
    The New Casper Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Marine91's Avatar
    Real Name
    Todd
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Blips and Chitz
    Posts
    8,479
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harlea
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    2584

    Default Re: Cushings disease...

    Poor baby. At least they are starting to figure out whay is going on.

    As for Harlea being on The Honest Kitchen...... She is doing great on it. It has really given us a chance to work towards finding out whay proteins she is sensitive to. We are currently mixing it with 1/8 cup of kangaroo right now and she loves it. If she breaks out we just cut out the animal protein and she clears up in a day or two.
    Bulldogs are like potato chips. You just can't stop with one.

  4. #4
    BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    JennieS's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Florence, KY
    Posts
    3,259
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruthie & Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    1308

    Default Re: Cushings disease...

    OH POOR ROXIE

    I've heard of Cushings but don't know anything about it. i'm going to check it out. At least you are finding what is going on with her! i can't believe she has to go for an 8 hr test.

  5. #5
    Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Posts
    11,226
    Bulldog(s) Names
    7
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    2232

    Default Re: Cushings disease...

    Im sorry to hear this but maybe now they can treat her properly cuz they know what she's up against. Hugs to Rox Wally and you.

  6. #6
    Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    bullmama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    25,361
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    2311
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Cushings disease...

    I know nothing about cushings disease, I'm going to google it now. I hope that now she can get the right medication to help her feel better. Big hugs to all of you!

    Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

  7. #7
    Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    brutus77's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Long Island NY
    Posts
    6,959
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)
    2790

    Default Re: Cushings disease...

    Quote Originally Posted by ddnene View Post
    The vet called yesterday, and told me that Roxie's blood test confirms that she is more than likely suffering from cushings disease… since the holiday is upon us, we are scheduling her testing for Monday. The test for cushings is an 8 hour test...

    I'm curious if anyone has dealt w/cushings disease?!! Any advice or insight?!! I did some research last night, and Roxie DOES suffer from several of the symptoms. It's seems like something very common in older dogs, especially boxers. It can be controlled w/medication, so for that I'm grateful. I just want to do what I can to make her feel better

    Oh and on a side note… we have a NEW pet food center that just opened up, and I went in yesterday to get Roxie some new food. The staff there was amazing, and very educated about pet food (surprisingly)… Todd I saw that Honest Kitchen. How is Harlea doing on that?!! I ended up getting Roxie some raw patties (Nature's Variety) for now while I'm gone, and I think I'm going to try Merrick to see if she can tolerate it. Of course they didn't carry Fromm's… Lol

    Thanks guys
    Frankie was just ruled out for Cushings disease when he was in the hospital. He was ruled out with a urine test because my vet said it is easier to rule them out for it then to confirm it. I was told it is more common in older dogs. Tracey, honestly, I would think about this and have an in depth talk with my vet because I was told this is a very grueling test that does take eight hours for a series of blood work that is to be done in stages. I do also believe the dog is sedated for it. If it is confirmed that Roxie has cushings, what is going to be her treatment? How much will the treatment improve her health? I would want to know all these answers before I started putting her through tests or treatment. If it will help her live another great, healthy, handful of years, then go for it, if not, I think I would really think twice about putting her through such a rigorous test. I'm sorry you guys are going through this.
    My smooshy face boy!

  8. #8
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    RiiSi's Avatar
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Location
    Sysmä
    Posts
    4,709
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)
    2625

    Default Re: Cushings disease...

    Poor Roxie, but from what I read most of the symptoms go away quickly after starting with the meds.

  9. #9
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Manydogs's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    10,641
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)
    6666

    Default Re: Cushings disease...

    Tracey, I hope that Roxie does not have it-I would take Rosalie's advice and ask your vet about the urine test to eliminate that possibiility. I had a pony with Cushings-but no dog. Prayers for Roxie-and you,who worries more than she does!
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

  10. #10
    EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    ddnene's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Posts
    12,722
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)
    5562

    Default Re: Cushings disease...

    Quote Originally Posted by Marine91 View Post
    Poor baby. At least they are starting to figure out whay is going on.

    As for Harlea being on The Honest Kitchen...... She is doing great on it. It has really given us a chance to work towards finding out whay proteins she is sensitive to. We are currently mixing it with 1/8 cup of kangaroo right now and she loves it. If she breaks out we just cut out the animal protein and she clears up in a day or two.
    The Honest Kitchen that I saw had different proteins in it… is that something different?!!

    "What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

  11. #11
    Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    cali baker's Avatar
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Location
    The Crown City (Pasadena)
    Posts
    9,013
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    1479
    Blog Entries
    32

    Default Re: Cushings disease...

    This is tough for you and for Roxie but it's good that they came up with a diagnosis for her and it's a treatable illness.

    I recently started giving the boys Merrick (buffalo/sweet potatoe, grain free), and they're doing very well on it. They also LOVE the food b/c whenever I open up the dog food cannister, both of them stick their faces into it, eagerly awaiting their feast!




  12. #12
    EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    ddnene's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Posts
    12,722
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)
    5562

    Default Re: Cushings disease...

    Quote Originally Posted by brutus77 View Post
    Frankie was just ruled out for Cushings disease when he was in the hospital. He was ruled out with a urine test because my vet said it is easier to rule them out for it then to confirm it. I was told it is more common in older dogs. Tracey, honestly, I would think about this and have an in depth talk with my vet because I was told this is a very grueling test that does take eight hours for a series of blood work that is to be done in stages. I do also believe the dog is sedated for it. If it is confirmed that Roxie has cushings, what is going to be her treatment? How much will the treatment improve her health? I would want to know all these answers before I started putting her through tests or treatment. If it will help her live another great, healthy, handful of years, then go for it, if not, I think I would really think twice about putting her through such a rigorous test. I'm sorry you guys are going through this.
    When I talked to the vet about it she told me there were 3 routes of treatment… one was surgery of course, which at 10 years wouldn't even be an option for Roxie. The other two are medications that she would need to take daily… she has several patients that have cushings and they are doing fine. I honestly haven't looked up the testing, I just googled cushings in general… she did one blood test already on her, and she came up borderline. When I looked at the symptoms, it does seem like she may seriously have this… it's more common in dogs 9-10yrs and up and of course Boxers was one of the top breeds. NOW you have me worried about the testing… Roxie has been sedated before, she was spayed years ago. I sent a text to the vet so hopefully she will answer me back soon

    "What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •