ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Yes. they have several that already have like chicken, beef or fish in it and then they have 3 base mixes that have no animal proteins in them. We are currently using the Preference Base mix.

Oh okay… well I was looking at it for Roxie, but I got some Raw Nature's Variety patties for now, and then I'm going to start her on Merrick. That is unless I have to change her food because of the cushings… Ugh :(

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
[MENTION=9370]brutus77[/MENTION]

Vet just sent me a text… she said that Roxie doesn't have to be sedated, and the only reason she is there for 8 hours is because they draw blood initially then twice at every 4 hour intervals. I guess it tells them how much the pituitary gland is being affected by the tumor.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
When I talked to the vet about it she told me there were 3 routes of treatment… one was surgery of course, which at 10 years wouldn't even be an option for Roxie. The other two are medications that she would need to take daily… she has several patients that have cushings and they are doing fine. I honestly haven't looked up the testing, I just googled cushings in general… she did one blood test already on her, and she came up borderline. When I looked at the symptoms, it does seem like she may seriously have this… it's more common in dogs 9-10yrs and up and of course Boxers was one of the top breeds. NOW you have me worried about the testing… Roxie has been sedated before, she was spayed years ago. I sent a text to the vet so hopefully she will answer me back soon :(
I don't want you to worry, I just want you to be informed. I'm glad she would not have to be sedated. If it is a simple fix with meds that is the best scenario.

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I don't want you to worry, I just want you to be informed. I'm glad she would not have to be sedated. If it is a simple fix with meds that is the best scenario.

NO I'm glad you told me… I want to be informed, because I don't always have the time to research EVERY little thing. I'm worn out…

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
Tracey..my cousin who worked with Long Island bulldog rescue and found Chumley for me is somewhat of an expert on cushings. I'll pm you her info.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
My pony had meds-for her cushings which I can't remember- Pergolide or something like that,but she lived for many years, foundered a couple of times but that is common with ponies.

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
The vet called yesterday, and told me that Roxie's blood test confirms that she is more than likely suffering from cushings disease… since the holiday is upon us, we are scheduling her testing for Monday. The test for cushings is an 8 hour test...

I'm curious if anyone has dealt w/cushings disease?!! Any advice or insight?!! I did some research last night, and Roxie DOES suffer from several of the symptoms. It's seems like something very common in older dogs, especially boxers. It can be controlled w/medication, so for that I'm grateful. I just want to do what I can to make her feel better :(

Oh and on a side note… we have a NEW pet food center that just opened up, and I went in yesterday to get Roxie some new food. The staff there was amazing, and very educated about pet food (surprisingly)… Todd I saw that Honest Kitchen. How is Harlea doing on that?!! I ended up getting Roxie some raw patties (Nature's Variety) for now while I'm gone, and I think I'm going to try Merrick to see if she can tolerate it. Of course they didn't carry Fromm's… Lol

Thanks guys ;)

We had a lab with cushings when I was younger. My mom dealt with all the ins and outs of the situation but what I DO know is that it CAN be managed with medicine. Our dog was about 7 or 8 when he got sick. Vet 1 didn't know what to do/ didnt know what was causing his sickness. He deteriorated VERY quickly and my mom was told she was going to have to put him down. BUT, she went for a second opinion. This new vet diagnosed him (not sure if it was the same 8 hour process) and put him on medication. He was "healed" within that month. He still had cushings but didn't show any symptoms of the disease. He got his coat back, his stomach wasn't as droopy, and he was much more energetic! He lived for another 4+ years on that medication.

I know that the medicine was pricey because my mom told me that she was so glad that, "the Lord blessed us with good jobs or else we wouldn't have been able to save McKenna." I don't know the name but if you would like more info I can get some more details from her and reply back to you. I was a young teen at the time and I didn't even know how sick he was until almost 10 years later.

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
We had a lab with cushings when I was younger. My mom dealt with all the ins and outs of the situation but what I DO know is that it CAN be managed with medicine. Our dog was about 7 or 8 when he got sick. Vet 1 didn't know what to do/ didnt know what was causing his sickness. He deteriorated VERY quickly and my mom was told she was going to have to put him down. BUT, she went for a second opinion. This new vet diagnosed him (not sure if it was the same 8 hour process) and put him on medication. He was "healed" within that month. He still had cushings but didn't show any symptoms of the disease. He got his coat back, his stomach wasn't as droopy, and he was much more energetic! He lived for another 4+ years on that medication.

I know that the medicine was pricey because my mom told me that she was so glad that, "the Lord blessed us with good jobs or else we wouldn't have been able to save McKenna." I don't know the name but if you would like more info I can get some more details from her and reply back to you. I was a young teen at the time and I didn't even know how sick he was until almost 10 years later.

Thanks for the info… I've been warned that this could be pricey. I have a pretty large PET nest egg, and in fact the hubby makes fun of me that if the dogs could get transplants that I would DO IT (and he would be right… Lol). My pets are my kids, and there is NOTHING that I wouldn't do for them if they needed it.

Bazza

Jun 22, 2013
Melbourne Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Bazza
@ddnene, Man I hope they figure it out, does that mean Roxie no longer needs the Thyroid Meds??? I am not sure what Crushing Disease is ??? I will try and search it, I hope it is not what Bazza has. I feel stressed just giving Bazza Meds everyday and not knowing if they are working or not. We are going to the vet earlier next year when he has been on meds for a few months to check his bloods again. Hope you get answer, it is so stressful. Thinking of Roxie and you xx

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
Prayers and Positive Thoughts are coming your way Roxie. Get well Sweet Baby.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
I'm so glad your vet is moving toward a firm diagnosis! I don't know anything about Cushings. Thank goodness I can be controlled with meds. That's a big thing to be grateful for today! Love and positive thoughts to you and Roxie!

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
@ddnene, Man I hope they figure it out, does that mean Roxie no longer needs the Thyroid Meds??? I am not sure what Crushing Disease is ??? I will try and search it, I hope it is not what Bazza has. I feel stressed just giving Bazza Meds everyday and not knowing if they are working or not. We are going to the vet earlier next year when he has been on meds for a few months to check his bloods again. Hope you get answer, it is so stressful. Thinking of Roxie and you xx

From the research that I have seen, YES it could be that she would NOT need thyroid medicine… I'm going to have to pick the brain of my vet tomorrow. I guess that this tumor could be causing havoc on her entire endocrine system :fie: Hopefully by tomorrow I will get some answers...

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Thanks for the info… I've been warned that this could be pricey. I have a pretty large PET nest egg, and in fact the hubby makes fun of me that if the dogs could get transplants that I would DO IT (and he would be right… Lol). My pets are my kids, and there is NOTHING that I wouldn't do for them if they needed it.

Costco has Vetoryl. I know you don't have a Costco close by, but the mail order thing might be an option for you.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Valley vet supply also has it. You can compare prices.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.