ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
The vet called yesterday, and told me that Roxie's blood test confirms that she is more than likely suffering from cushings diseaseā€¦ since the holiday is upon us, we are scheduling her testing for Monday. The test for cushings is an 8 hour test...

I'm curious if anyone has dealt w/cushings disease?!! Any advice or insight?!! I did some research last night, and Roxie DOES suffer from several of the symptoms. It's seems like something very common in older dogs, especially boxers. It can be controlled w/medication, so for that I'm grateful. I just want to do what I can to make her feel better :(

Oh and on a side noteā€¦ we have a NEW pet food center that just opened up, and I went in yesterday to get Roxie some new food. The staff there was amazing, and very educated about pet food (surprisingly)ā€¦ Todd I saw that Honest Kitchen. How is Harlea doing on that?!! I ended up getting Roxie some raw patties (Nature's Variety) for now while I'm gone, and I think I'm going to try Merrick to see if she can tolerate it. Of course they didn't carry Fromm'sā€¦ Lol

Thanks guys ;)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Poor Roxie... at least you are getting to the bottom of what is bothering her. I have no direct experience with Cushings, but I knew a guy that had a Pug with it... her name was Kisses and she lived with that and being blind till she was 12 yrs old. She was a pistol too - she was on a daily med and lots of bathing to control odor

sending lots of love and hugs to you both

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Poor baby. At least they are starting to figure out whay is going on.

As for Harlea being on The Honest Kitchen...... She is doing great on it. It has really given us a chance to work towards finding out whay proteins she is sensitive to. We are currently mixing it with 1/8 cup of kangaroo right now and she loves it. If she breaks out we just cut out the animal protein and she clears up in a day or two.

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
OH POOR ROXIE :(

I've heard of Cushings but don't know anything about it. i'm going to check it out. At least you are finding what is going on with her! i can't believe she has to go for an 8 hr test.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Im sorry to hear this but maybe now they can treat her properly cuz they know what she's up against. Hugs to Rox Wally and you.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I know nothing about cushings disease, I'm going to google it now. I hope that now she can get the right medication to help her feel better. Big hugs to all of you! :hug:

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
The vet called yesterday, and told me that Roxie's blood test confirms that she is more than likely suffering from cushings diseaseā€¦ since the holiday is upon us, we are scheduling her testing for Monday. The test for cushings is an 8 hour test...

I'm curious if anyone has dealt w/cushings disease?!! Any advice or insight?!! I did some research last night, and Roxie DOES suffer from several of the symptoms. It's seems like something very common in older dogs, especially boxers. It can be controlled w/medication, so for that I'm grateful. I just want to do what I can to make her feel better :(

Oh and on a side noteā€¦ we have a NEW pet food center that just opened up, and I went in yesterday to get Roxie some new food. The staff there was amazing, and very educated about pet food (surprisingly)ā€¦ Todd I saw that Honest Kitchen. How is Harlea doing on that?!! I ended up getting Roxie some raw patties (Nature's Variety) for now while I'm gone, and I think I'm going to try Merrick to see if she can tolerate it. Of course they didn't carry Fromm'sā€¦ Lol

Thanks guys ;)
Frankie was just ruled out for Cushings disease when he was in the hospital. He was ruled out with a urine test because my vet said it is easier to rule them out for it then to confirm it. I was told it is more common in older dogs. Tracey, honestly, I would think about this and have an in depth talk with my vet because I was told this is a very grueling test that does take eight hours for a series of blood work that is to be done in stages. I do also believe the dog is sedated for it. If it is confirmed that Roxie has cushings, what is going to be her treatment? How much will the treatment improve her health? I would want to know all these answers before I started putting her through tests or treatment. If it will help her live another great, healthy, handful of years, then go for it, if not, I think I would really think twice about putting her through such a rigorous test. I'm sorry you guys are going through this.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
SysmƤ
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Poor Roxie, but from what I read most of the symptoms go away quickly after starting with the meds.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Tracey, I hope that Roxie does not have it-I would take Rosalie's advice and ask your vet about the urine test to eliminate that possibiility. I had a pony with Cushings-but no dog. Prayers for Roxie-and you,who worries more than she does!

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Poor baby. At least they are starting to figure out whay is going on.

As for Harlea being on The Honest Kitchen...... She is doing great on it. It has really given us a chance to work towards finding out whay proteins she is sensitive to. We are currently mixing it with 1/8 cup of kangaroo right now and she loves it. If she breaks out we just cut out the animal protein and she clears up in a day or two.

The Honest Kitchen that I saw had different proteins in itā€¦ is that something different?!!

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
This is tough for you and for Roxie but it's good that they came up with a diagnosis for her and it's a treatable illness.

I recently started giving the boys Merrick (buffalo/sweet potatoe, grain free), and they're doing very well on it. They also LOVE the food b/c whenever I open up the dog food cannister, both of them stick their faces into it, eagerly awaiting their feast!

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frankie was just ruled out for Cushings disease when he was in the hospital. He was ruled out with a urine test because my vet said it is easier to rule them out for it then to confirm it. I was told it is more common in older dogs. Tracey, honestly, I would think about this and have an in depth talk with my vet because I was told this is a very grueling test that does take eight hours for a series of blood work that is to be done in stages. I do also believe the dog is sedated for it. If it is confirmed that Roxie has cushings, what is going to be her treatment? How much will the treatment improve her health? I would want to know all these answers before I started putting her through tests or treatment. If it will help her live another great, healthy, handful of years, then go for it, if not, I think I would really think twice about putting her through such a rigorous test. I'm sorry you guys are going through this.

When I talked to the vet about it she told me there were 3 routes of treatmentā€¦ one was surgery of course, which at 10 years wouldn't even be an option for Roxie. The other two are medications that she would need to take dailyā€¦ she has several patients that have cushings and they are doing fine. I honestly haven't looked up the testing, I just googled cushings in generalā€¦ she did one blood test already on her, and she came up borderline. When I looked at the symptoms, it does seem like she may seriously have thisā€¦ it's more common in dogs 9-10yrs and up and of course Boxers was one of the top breeds. NOW you have me worried about the testingā€¦ Roxie has been sedated before, she was spayed years ago. I sent a text to the vet so hopefully she will answer me back soon :(

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tracey, I hope that Roxie does not have it-I would take Rosalie's advice and ask your vet about the urine test to eliminate that possibiility. I had a pony with Cushings-but no dog. Prayers for Roxie-and you,who worries more than she does!

She did the initial urine test on Friday, and it came up borderlineā€¦ the blood test is to confirm cushings. Was it really difficult for your pony?!!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
The Honest Kitchen that I saw had different proteins in itā€¦ is that something different?!!
Yes. they have several that already have like chicken, beef or fish in it and then they have 3 base mixes that have no animal proteins in them. We are currently using the Preference Base mix.

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
This is tough for you and for Roxie but it's good that they came up with a diagnosis for her and it's a treatable illness.

I recently started giving the boys Merrick (buffalo/sweet potatoe, grain free), and they're doing very well on it. They also LOVE the food b/c whenever I open up the dog food cannister, both of them stick their faces into it, eagerly awaiting their feast!

Oh that's great to hear about the foodā€¦ I got Roxie some Raw Nature's Variety and for 12 patties it was $40 :eek: I'm going to start the transition once we get back from Thanksgiving...

I'm glad that at least we may KNOW what is going on, of course I will worry until she starts to feeling better :(

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online