EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Cushings disease...

Quote Originally Posted by Manydogs View Post
    Tracey, I hope that Roxie does not have it-I would take Rosalie's advice and ask your vet about the urine test to eliminate that possibiility. I had a pony with Cushings-but no dog. Prayers for Roxie-and you,who worries more than she does!
    She did the initial urine test on Friday, and it came up borderline… the blood test is to confirm cushings. Was it really difficult for your pony?!!

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

The New Casper Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Todd
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harlea
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ddnene View Post
    The Honest Kitchen that I saw had different proteins in it… is that something different?!!
    Yes. they have several that already have like chicken, beef or fish in it and then they have 3 base mixes that have no animal proteins in them. We are currently using the Preference Base mix.
    Bulldogs are like potato chips. You just can't stop with one.

Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cali baker View Post
    This is tough for you and for Roxie but it's good that they came up with a diagnosis for her and it's a treatable illness.

I recently started giving the boys Merrick (buffalo/sweet potatoe, grain free), and they're doing very well on it. They also LOVE the food b/c whenever I open up the dog food cannister, both of them stick their faces into it, eagerly awaiting their feast!
    Oh that's great to hear about the food… I got Roxie some Raw Nature's Variety and for 12 patties it was $40 I'm going to start the transition once we get back from Thanksgiving...

I'm glad that at least we may KNOW what is going on, of course I will worry until she starts to feeling better

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller

Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Marine91 View Post
    Yes. they have several that already have like chicken, beef or fish in it and then they have 3 base mixes that have no animal proteins in them. We are currently using the Preference Base mix.
    Oh okay… well I was looking at it for Roxie, but I got some Raw Nature's Variety patties for now, and then I'm going to start her on Merrick. That is unless I have to change her food because of the cushings… Ugh

Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

@brutus77

Vet just sent me a text… she said that Roxie doesn't have to be sedated, and the only reason she is there for 8 hours is because they draw blood initially then twice at every 4 hour intervals. I guess it tells them how much the pituitary gland is being affected by the tumor.

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)

When I talked to the vet about it she told me there were 3 routes of treatment… one was surgery of course, which at 10 years wouldn't even be an option for Roxie. The other two are medications that she would need to take daily… she has several patients that have cushings and they are doing fine. I honestly haven't looked up the testing, I just googled cushings in general… she did one blood test already on her, and she came up borderline. When I looked at the symptoms, it does seem like she may seriously have this… it's more common in dogs 9-10yrs and up and of course Boxers was one of the top breeds. NOW you have me worried about the testing… Roxie has been sedated before, she was spayed years ago. I sent a text to the vet so hopefully she will answer me back soon
    I don't want you to worry, I just want you to be informed. I'm glad she would not have to be sedated. If it is a simple fix with meds that is the best scenario.
    My smooshy face boy!

Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by brutus77 View Post
    I don't want you to worry, I just want you to be informed. I'm glad she would not have to be sedated. If it is a simple fix with meds that is the best scenario.
    NO I'm glad you told me… I want to be informed, because I don't always have the time to research EVERY little thing. I'm worn out…

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jim B.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chumley and Hershey
    Likes (Received)

Tracey..my cousin who worked with Long Island bulldog rescue and found Chumley for me is somewhat of an expert on cushings. I'll pm you her info.

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

My pony had meds-for her cushings which I can't remember- Pergolide or something like that,but she lived for many years, foundered a couple of times but that is common with ponies.
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Goob
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

The vet called yesterday, and told me that Roxie's blood test confirms that she is more than likely suffering from cushings disease… since the holiday is upon us, we are scheduling her testing for Monday. The test for cushings is an 8 hour test...

I'm curious if anyone has dealt w/cushings disease?!! Any advice or insight?!! I did some research last night, and Roxie DOES suffer from several of the symptoms. It's seems like something very common in older dogs, especially boxers. It can be controlled w/medication, so for that I'm grateful. I just want to do what I can to make her feel better

Oh and on a side note… we have a NEW pet food center that just opened up, and I went in yesterday to get Roxie some new food. The staff there was amazing, and very educated about pet food (surprisingly)… Todd I saw that Honest Kitchen. How is Harlea doing on that?!! I ended up getting Roxie some raw patties (Nature's Variety) for now while I'm gone, and I think I'm going to try Merrick to see if she can tolerate it. Of course they didn't carry Fromm's… Lol

Thanks guys
    We had a lab with cushings when I was younger. My mom dealt with all the ins and outs of the situation but what I DO know is that it CAN be managed with medicine. Our dog was about 7 or 8 when he got sick. Vet 1 didn't know what to do/ didnt know what was causing his sickness. He deteriorated VERY quickly and my mom was told she was going to have to put him down. BUT, she went for a second opinion. This new vet diagnosed him (not sure if it was the same 8 hour process) and put him on medication. He was "healed" within that month. He still had cushings but didn't show any symptoms of the disease. He got his coat back, his stomach wasn't as droopy, and he was much more energetic! He lived for another 4+ years on that medication.

I know that the medicine was pricey because my mom told me that she was so glad that, "the Lord blessed us with good jobs or else we wouldn't have been able to save McKenna." I don't know the name but if you would like more info I can get some more details from her and reply back to you. I was a young teen at the time and I didn't even know how sick he was until almost 10 years later.

Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Goob14 View Post
    We had a lab with cushings when I was younger. My mom dealt with all the ins and outs of the situation but what I DO know is that it CAN be managed with medicine. Our dog was about 7 or 8 when he got sick. Vet 1 didn't know what to do/ didnt know what was causing his sickness. He deteriorated VERY quickly and my mom was told she was going to have to put him down. BUT, she went for a second opinion. This new vet diagnosed him (not sure if it was the same 8 hour process) and put him on medication. He was "healed" within that month. He still had cushings but didn't show any symptoms of the disease. He got his coat back, his stomach wasn't as droopy, and he was much more energetic! He lived for another 4+ years on that medication.

I know that the medicine was pricey because my mom told me that she was so glad that, "the Lord blessed us with good jobs or else we wouldn't have been able to save McKenna." I don't know the name but if you would like more info I can get some more details from her and reply back to you. I was a young teen at the time and I didn't even know how sick he was until almost 10 years later.
    Thanks for the info… I've been warned that this could be pricey. I have a pretty large PET nest egg, and in fact the hubby makes fun of me that if the dogs could get transplants that I would DO IT (and he would be right… Lol). My pets are my kids, and there is NOTHING that I wouldn't do for them if they needed it.

Real Name
    Andrea
    Country
    Australia
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bazza
    Likes (Received)

@ddnene, Man I hope they figure it out, does that mean Roxie no longer needs the Thyroid Meds??? I am not sure what Crushing Disease is ??? I will try and search it, I hope it is not what Bazza has. I feel stressed just giving Bazza Meds everyday and not knowing if they are working or not. We are going to the vet earlier next year when he has been on meds for a few months to check his bloods again. Hope you get answer, it is so stressful. Thinking of Roxie and you xx
    I have found that when you are deeply troubled, there are things you get from the devoted companionship of a dog that you can get from no other source

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads