ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Ok so last night I gave Roxie 2 of the 1mg melatoninsā€¦ I was determined to get some sleep last night. Well she DID sleep thru the night, of course I woke up around 4am just waiting for the whining to start, but she was silent :babysleep: and luckily I was able to fall back asleep. SO this morning when the alarm went off at 530am, I turn on the light to see her PEEING ON THE BEDROOM RUG!!! :blink: I know that she JUST woke upā€¦ so all this time I thought that Walter was peeing in the house because it was TOO cold outside, it was actually ROXIE doing it!!!

So NOW my question isā€¦ could this be a side effect of the thyroid med, or is this just a coincidence of her age?!! I can get pee padsā€¦ I'm not too concerned about that, it just seems weird that ALL of this started when she started taking the meds.

I'm seriously losing my mind w/this dogā€¦ :crazy:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So glad you both got some sleep... I have no experience with the meds she is on and hope that is is all.

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
So glad you both got some sleep... I have no experience with the meds she is on and hope that is is all.

I feel bad I kept thinking it was Walter because he kept refusing to go outside in the coldā€¦ I need a hidden camera around here, I'm losing my mind!!!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Tracey, I don't have experience with this either, but would think it's probably a combination of both age and medication.
Medications can cause so many different side effects, but she may not be able to hold her bladder as long now that she's older. Pee pads will help, but then she may get used to peeing in the house. Maybe going back to a puppy schedule and taking her out for more frequent potty breaks might help as well. Good luck Hun, and I'm glad you got more sleep

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Sorry to hear this Tracey. I didn't know that she was keeping you up at night(didn't see a post...) Is she back on two thyroid pills? I am sure you know that the bigger the dog, the shorter the life span. I am sure you have had her checked for a UTI, and that would be my first thought. Maybe she is drinking more since she is on meds? Some bigger dogs live a pretty long time-I hate to say but most of mine were 9 or 10. Maybe she is just getting a little "forgetful" and sometimes can't hold it like she used to.
Maybe she needs to go out one more time during the night. As we get older, our bladders get weaker(the muscles) Wish I had a better answer for you.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Tracey, I'm thinking that Roxie's age has more to do with her peeing inside, not necessarily the thyroid medication. I did read somewhere that hyperthyroidism can contribute to urinary incontinence though. Did the vet check her levels recently? Age in female dogs, like in humans, brings along a weakened bladder sphincter. But definitely do rule out the bladder infxn or UTI, as well as diabetes b/c this will cause increase in thirst and increased urination.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I'm glad she slept. I don't think the peeing is a result of the meds, but I will google it. Were you letting her out when she gets up in the middle of the night? I go through this with my old girl molly. I can't let her sleep in the living room with her buddy Brutus because she will sleep too long (because she is super comfy on the couch) and pee all over everytime. I really think it is old age. They can't hold it anymore.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I feel bad I kept thinking it was Walter because he kept refusing to go outside in the coldā€¦ I need a hidden camera around here, I'm losing my mind!!!
Ok I googled it and it said it is highly unlikely to be directly related to the thyroid BUT if her dose is too high it will increase her thirst which will make her pee more. It also said to have her checked for diabetes and renal disease. I think it may be related to dosage though because you have mentioned she was having trouble adjusting.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Tracey, I lost my boxer Lily in August. I almost hate to post this--I'm sure it's not Roxie's problem, but Lily's first symptom of the tumor in her spine was peeing in the house. Of course we didn't know it was cancer at first, we just thought she was getting older. Had her tested for UTI and she did have some bacteria in her urine, so we gave her antibiotics. Anyway, she began slowly losing bladder control and her back left foot was pointing in. We took her for digital x-Rays which showed a little arthritis in her back. Bladder control worsened, then bowel control started going. Then an MRI showed the tumor inside her spine. We finally ended up putting her to sleep, because there was no chance of her getting any better (she was having a lot of trouble walking on her back legs by this time). I miss her every day.

I have had 6 boxers through the years and have lost 4 of them to cancer, so cancer is the thing I worry about the most. I think the stat is 49% of boxers die of cancer.

Well, like I said, I'm sure this isn't what Roxie has, but it may be a thing to watch out for. I hope Roxie gets better soon. Boxers are angels on earth!
image.jpg

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] [MENTION=6311]Vikinggirl[/MENTION] [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] [MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION] [MENTION=9370]brutus77[/MENTION]

Thanks so much for the info guys, I've had a crazy morning!!!
I have not had a chance to take her to the vet today, I'm going to schedule something for tomorrow. I'm thinking maybe a UTI OR you are right Rosalie her meds may be too highā€¦ I feel so bad, I was yelling at Walter about peeing in the house and the whole time it was his sister :blush2:

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
OH NOOO!!!
Poor Roxie.

I'm glad to hear the melatonin helped. I'm gonna get some this weekend for Sydney.

I'm sorry to hear about the other problems, i would assume its old age. uggghhh, that sucks.

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
OH NOOO!!!
Poor Roxie.

I'm glad to hear the melatonin helped. I'm gonna get some this weekend for Sydney.

I'm sorry to hear about the other problems, i would assume its old age. uggghhh, that sucks.

I'm waiting for a call from the vetā€¦ I have TOO much on my plate right nowā€¦ UGH!!! Yes the melatonin worked, she told me to start her out w/1mg.

Bazza

Jun 22, 2013
Melbourne Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Bazza
[MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] sorry to hear about Roxie. How many tablets for the Thyroid is she having now?? We have had to take it really slow with Bazza, I googled about thyroid tabs and could not find bad reactions.
But I disagree with that, When on two tabs, Baz was a different dog and diarrhea , I do believe it was the meds. So we did 1/2 tab only , then 1/2 tab morn and night, NOW we are up to 1/2 tab in morning and 1 full tab at night. All going well. Except his fur is quite bad, big bald patches everywhere.

It is harder for you because Roxie is so much older and things will effect them in different ways, Bazza is not even 3 years old.

How is she going now ??

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
SysmƤ
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
So sorry for poor Roxie. Hopefully it's nothing serious.

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tracey, I lost my boxer Lily in August. I almost hate to post this--I'm sure it's not Roxie's problem, but Lily's first symptom of the tumor in her spine was peeing in the house. Of course we didn't know it was cancer at first, we just thought she was getting older. Had her tested for UTI and she did have some bacteria in her urine, so we gave her antibiotics. Anyway, she began slowly losing bladder control and her back left foot was pointing in. We took her for digital x-Rays which showed a little arthritis in her back. Bladder control worsened, then bowel control started going. Then an MRI showed the tumor inside her spine. We finally ended up putting her to sleep, because there was no chance of her getting any better (she was having a lot of trouble walking on her back legs by this time). I miss her every day.

I have had 6 boxers through the years and have lost 4 of them to cancer, so cancer is the thing I worry about the most. I think the stat is 49% of boxers die of cancer.

Well, like I said, I'm sure this isn't what Roxie has, but it may be a thing to watch out for. I hope Roxie gets better soon. Boxers are angels on earth!
View attachment 80684

Sorry I must of missed this post yesterdayā€¦ I'm very well aware of the cancer issues w/boxers, and PLEASE don't be afraid to say anything in regards to this. I'm a realist, and I know how things may end up w/herā€¦ I'm very sorry to hear about your Lily :( The vet had done a senior panel on her a couple of weeks ago just to see how her blood looks, and she said that everything was fine except of course her thyroid was extremely low. I'm sure an x-ray will be our next step if this gets worse, or if she doesn't show up w/a UTI.

Boxers are amazing dogsā€¦ you are super lucky to have had so many of them!!! Hugs to you and your family :angelheart:

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.