ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)

Checking up on Roxie...sending you loving hugs of comfort, dear Tracey <3

Thanks hon… she is doing better, at least she stopped throwing up. I can't understand it thought, she keeps waking up at 4 am… I'm about to lose my mind!!! Lol

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Thanks hon… she is doing better, at least she stopped throwing up. I can't understand it thought, she keeps waking up at 4 am… I'm about to lose my mind!!! Lol
[MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION]
Tracey , maybe you can ask the vet about anxiety. My labs are old and they get very anxious at night. My vet said it is kinda like when older people sundown at night. They get very confused. Mine would wake up in the middle of the night and pace the entire house for hours driving me insane. My vet said to give them a 3 or 5 mg melatonin at bed time and lo and behold it calms them right down and they sleep all night.

OP
ddnene

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
[MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION]
Tracey , maybe you can ask the vet about anxiety. My labs are old and they get very anxious at night. My vet said it is kinda like when older people sundown at night. They get very confused. Mine would wake up in the middle of the night and pace the entire house for hours driving me insane. My vet said to give them a 3 or 5 mg melatonin at bed time and lo and behold it calms them right down and they sleep all night.

Thanks for the tip Rosalie, I use melatonin myself nightly... I'm gonna give Roxie some tonight & see if it helps. She has gotten up at 4am for a week now & it's driving me crazy, I can't fall back asleep!!! Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
The Use Of Melatonin In Dogs, Dose Rate, Info, Side Effects.

What is Melatonin? What is it used for in the dog? This article will cover dose rates for Melatonin, give you some basic information about Melatonin and also list some it's potential side effects.

1. Melatonin is a class of drug called a neuro-hormone, it has a number of potential veterinary uses such as sedative properties, may act as an anti-convulsant, and it can help regulate your dog's body rhythms and reproductive cycles. But it also appears to have uses as an antioxidant which will combat free radicals which may be important in some disease conditions. This drug is available over the counter in a number of countries in the world but is not specifically licensed for animal use, that said many vets have found it to be of use in the following specific situations.

A. Melatonin has been used in the treatment of separation anxiety in dogs.

B. It is also used to treat other stressful conditions, such as noise anxieties related to fireworks etc.

C. Melatonin has been used to help sleep patterns in pets that are very active at night and not sleeping at the right time. This can sometimes occur in older dogs ( sundowner syndrome ) Basically it helps re-sets the animal's biological clock.

D. It has been used to treat various other behavioral problems in dogs and it has sedative properties.

2. Dose rates for Melatonin in the dog : While this is an over the counter drug it is used in some complex situations, you would therefor be wise to get your vet involved rather than self treat on your own. That said for small dogs, Melatonin is given at up to 1 mg per dog three times a day orally. For medium sized dogs a dose of up to 3 mg per dog three times a day has been used orally. And in larger dogs consider a dose rate of up to 9 mg dog orally again given three times a day. The duration of the course would depend on the response to treatment and any side effects which may occur. This drug has often been safely used in dogs when given for long periods of time.

3. Side effects : This drug is generally considered to be safe and few side effects have been noted, but like any drug hypersensitivity reactions are possible in a very small number of individuals. Other side effects have been related to drug interaction with medications which the dog is already taking such as sedatives, steroids and monoamine oxidase inhibitors. With some individuals you may see excessive lethargy or paradoxically nervous behaviour. Lastly it can interfere with your female dog's reproductive cycle.

4. Melatonin is being recommended by more and more vets for the treatment of Canine Cushings disease. Click this link to get melatonin for dogs.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.