ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Well after doing some extensive research on dog foods for Roxie, I decided on Orijen senior dog foodā€¦ I actually went to the Boxer forums, and from what I gathered most of them recommend Taste of the Wild. They didn't have a senior food, and I'm just curious to see if maybe that would be a good choice for her. Seniors seem to have more stomach issues, and Roxie does get sick at her stomach more often now...

I would appreciate any feedbackā€¦ this dog food jungle is overwhelmingā€¦ :crazy:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Gonna be watching for status and feedback, as I am thinking this might be an issue for Banks now.

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Gonna be watching for status and feedback, as I am thinking this might be an issue for Banks now.

I paid the $19.99 fee on dogfoodadvisor.com to get his TOP PICKSā€¦ which BTW Fromms was on there (WOO HOO!!!) I can put out the list if anyone is interested, I just don't have the time to sit here and research food all day long. I'm really starting to question if Roxie has a "sensitive stomach"ā€¦ I'm so bummed, she had done so well on Earthborne.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
You know Sally's been on the Fromm senior food now (grain) and she's seems to be doing wonderful so far. No more throwing up and her stools are back to being firm again. It's only been a few days since she started on it but her changes were instant.

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
You know Sally's been on the Fromm senior food now (grain) and she's seems to be doing wonderful so far. No more throwing up and her stools are back to being firm again. It's only been a few days since she started on it but her changes were instant.

WOW that's awesome Jeannie!!! I never had Roxie on Fromms at all, I guess that would of made sense because Wally's on itā€¦ I didn't even look to them for a senior food. I guess the senior foods is easier for older dogs to tolerate.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
WOW that's awesome Jeannie!!! I never had Roxie on Fromms at all, I guess that would of made sense because Wally's on itā€¦ I didn't even look to them for a senior food. I guess the senior foods is easier for older dogs to tolerate.

what is different about the senior food.... less of something?

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
what is different about the senior food.... less of something?

You know I'm honestly not sureā€¦ they list it as for "sensitive stomach" so I'm wondering if it's less protein.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
So far so good still. Her poops are definitely different looking, a lost more solid with a lot more texture to them. I'm a poop watcher, lol. Ewwww. She has some mild itching but very very mild that I'm contributing to the food since she recently had a bath but that's it. :clap:

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
You know I'm honestly not sureā€¦ they list it as for "sensitive stomach" so I'm wondering if it's less protein.

From what I've read, a senior dog food is generally lower in calories. Reason being is their metabolism slows down and they're prone to gaining weight. It could also be a higher fiber food
to help with digestion. I've also read that a senior food can have less protein but I don't understand why and haven't seen anything that explains it.

I guess I would look for a lower calorie formula. One that also has extra supplements for joint health.

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
From what I've read, a senior dog food is generally lower in calories. Reason being is their metabolism slows down and they're prone to gaining weight. It could also be a higher fiber food
to help with digestion. I've also read that a senior food can have less protein but I don't understand why and haven't seen anything that explains it.

I guess I would look for a lower calorie formula. One that also has extra supplements for joint health.

I give her the NuVet supplement and NuJoint for her arthritis daily. She also gets adequan injections for her neck spur and hips every two weeks. I also give her greek yogurt, coconut oil and NOW pepcid. Good grief, I can't even keep up w/it allā€¦ Lol

- - - Updated - - -

So far so good still. Her poops are definitely different looking, a lost more solid with a lot more texture to them. I'm a poop watcher, lol. Ewwww. She has some mild itching but very very mild that I'm contributing to the food since she recently had a bath but that's it. :clap:

That's good to hearā€¦ I'm on the poop watch too, I know my neighbors think I'm completely mental :blink:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.