ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Bazza is meant to be on 0.4mg twice a day. I believe Soloxine and Thyroxine are pretty much the same just made by different manufacturers. They want him to go on 2 tabs until we see improvements and then to 1 a day. It could be a coincidence that he got diarrhea twice when taking the full dose. I will up it next week, but we are about to away for 4 days and my mum is looking after him so don't want to up it when we are not around. Worried about the hair loss a lot, but worried he might be bald before we get him on the correct does. I don' t think there is an alternative vet didn't know one on hand, I dont think she is convinced it is the tablets that are doing it.

Roxie has had some hair loss, but it hasn't been too noticeable. What has been the biggest issue is her lethargy & depression... Just doesn't seem like her old self. I don't know of an alternative to Thyroid meds, I actually didn't realize that dogs had issues w/it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Bazza

Jun 22, 2013
Melbourne Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Bazza
Roxie has had some hair loss, but it hasn't been too noticeable. What has been the biggest issue is her lethargy & depression... Just doesn't seem like her old self. I don't know of an alternative to Thyroid meds, I actually didn't realize that dogs had issues w/it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The vet says the same thing, once he gets on the tabs we will see a "new" dog, she was saying also that he would be lethargic and depressed too ! But maybe because Bazza is nearly 3 years so we thought he was settling down alot when infact he could be lethargic but I have not noticed all these symtoms, he seems depressed (sulks) when my hubby leaves because he is his number one fan. The first things we noticed was all of a sudden he was losing hair ! And he has lost a lot. Good luck with Roxy I will have to keep updated with Roxy and you to see how it goes with her ! x :D

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Soloxine is a pet thyroid.

Synthroid, Armour thyroid, Levoxyl and Levothyroxine are human meds that are (atleast the Levothyroxine is) given to pets.

Right now I know that Soloxine 0.8mg is hard for us to get. Before Costco started selling pet meds....Drs were putting dogs on Levothyroxine.

Just so you know.....Levothyroxine is a way better deal for the pocket book. (Tracey....I know you don't have a Costco, but there is always Costco.com)

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
The vet says the same thing, once he gets on the tabs we will see a "new" dog, she was saying also that he would be lethargic and depressed too ! But maybe because Bazza is nearly 3 years so we thought he was settling down alot when infact he could be lethargic but I have not noticed all these symtoms, he seems depressed (sulks) when my hubby leaves because he is his number one fan. The first things we noticed was all of a sudden he was losing hair ! And he has lost a lot. Good luck with Roxy I will have to keep updated with Roxy and you to see how it goes with her ! x :D

Roxie just turned 10 this summer so I was expecting a slow-down, but this was pretty drastic… My biggest issue is getting Ms. Thing to take her pills, I've had to hide it in peanut butter. She will actually nibble on treats to find a pill to spit it out… Lol Good luck w/Bazza, and I really hope you can find a med that works for him.

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Soloxine is a pet thyroid.

Synthroid, Armour thyroid, Levoxyl and Levothyroxine are human meds that are (atleast the Levothyroxine is) given to pets.

Right now I know that Soloxine 0.8mg is hard for us to get. Before Costco started selling pet meds....Drs were putting dogs on Levothyroxine.

Just so you know.....Levothyroxine is a way better deal for the pocket book. (Tracey....I know you don't have a Costco, but there is always Costco.com)

Hmm… Thanks for this info Cheryl, I was curious to see what they would put Roxie on. I actually haven't seen a bill for the pills yet, my vet had me pick them up at her house. She lives close to me, but her office is 45 min away and I'm assuming she will send me the bill.

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I'll tell you what the Soloxine .6 is when I get to work. how many pills did you get? I'll do you compare price from Costco

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I'll tell you what the Soloxine .6 is when I get to work. how many pills did you get? I'll do you compare price from Costco

She gave her 120 pills, but I haven't gotten a bill yet...

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion

$25.37

Costco member price is $20.89

Most Reactions