ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Roxie's vet called me yesterday w/her blood work results...

Her thyroid level was a 6… and for her she should be at 20!!! She wants to start her out on thyroid medicine twice a day, and then in 8 weeks I need to bring her in for more blood work… she wants to make sure that we have the correct dosage of thyroid medicine.

I was curious if anyone has used thyroid medicine for their dogs… how long did it take to see the effects from the meds? Any advice?!! I'm just hoping that this will help her to feel like her "old self" again… Thanks for your help!!!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
My dogs don't need it, but I do. I'm on thyroid medicine and I felt the affect in few days. If I forget to take my Thyroxin I feel the affects the same day. It is the same medicine for dogs and people, thyroxin.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I'm sure you are going to see a difference quickly. A low thyroid causes all kinds of problems!

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
My dogs don't need it, but I do. I'm on thyroid medicine and I felt the affect in few days. If I forget to take my Thyroxin I feel the affects the same day. It is the same medicine for dogs and people, thyroxin.

I take thyroid medicine as well, I'm on synthroid… I'm not sure what Roxie will be taking, I haven't picked it up yet. I have to take mine once a day on an empty stomach, but she will be taking her's twice a day w/or w/out food. I was just curious to see if it works on dogs as quickly as it does on humans. I feel horrid if I don't take my meds...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
No experience with this at all.... Best of luck to you and Roxie hope it works

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
My mom's also on synthroid (she had cancer of the thyroid 20 or so years ago and had it removed). If she misses a day, she feels it right away as well.

I'm betting it works the same way on dogs.

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My mom's also on synthroid (she had cancer of the thyroid 20 or so years ago and had it removed). If she misses a day, she feels it right away as well.

I'm betting it works the same way on dogs.

I think so too… it's weird that she will take it twice a day.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I think so too… it's weird that she will take it twice a day.

I'm wondering if that has to do with the speed at which dogs metabolize? Maybe their systems works much faster?

eta: just throwing it out there but I honestly have no idea..lol..

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm wondering if that has to do with the speed at which dogs metabolize? Maybe their systems works much faster?

eta: just throwing it out there but I honestly have no idea..lol..

That would be a question for the medicine expert [MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION] :ponder:

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
I don't know anything about thyroid meds but I hope Roxie is feeling back to normal soon!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
My Malanois, Moose, was taking thyroid meds. One of his symptoms before diagnosed was a very dry coat,no undercoat, and not feeling too bright. He started feeling better within the first week of his meds.He was about six years old at the time. Maybe your vet wants to get her up where she should be, and then maybe one pill a day may be all she needs.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
That would be a question for the medicine expert @cali baker :ponder:
[MENTION=7457]Blueberrys Mom[/MENTION] hit the nail on the head---dogs metabolize thyroid medications much faster than humans do and that's why they need to take it twice a day vs. once daily in humans. The half life for thyroid meds in dogs is around 12 hrs whereas in humans, it's 5-7 days.

Bazza

Jun 22, 2013
Melbourne Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Bazza
Roxie's vet called me yesterday w/her blood work results...

Her thyroid level was a 6… and for her she should be at 20!!! She wants to start her out on thyroid medicine twice a day, and then in 8 weeks I need to bring her in for more blood work… she wants to make sure that we have the correct dosage of thyroid medicine.

I was curious if anyone has used thyroid medicine for their dogs… how long did it take to see the effects from the meds? Any advice?!! I'm just hoping that this will help her to feel like her "old self" again… Thanks for your help!!!

Wow this is the same as Bazza he is on Thyroxine, he bloods came back I think it was something like 11 and needs to be 20ish. I was prescribe 2 tabs a day with or without food, he has an inactive thyroid. But don;t know if you remember he got really sick and we took him off them, vet thought it had nothing to do with the tablets, so when he got better, we went back on them 2 a day, second day diarrhea again !!! Vet has never heard of a dog reacting like this not once. So vet and us decided that we will do 1/2 a tablet for one week and build up to one tablet but our goal is to get him to two tablets, as he is losing alot of hair, and worried because is metabolism would be running very low at the moment. Crossing fingers that I will get him to one tab next week. Is Roxie on them Yet ??

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wow this is the same as Bazza he is on Thyroxine, he bloods came back I think it was something like 11 and needs to be 20ish. I was prescribe 2 tabs a day with or without food, he has an inactive thyroid. But don;t know if you remember he got really sick and we took him off them, vet thought it had nothing to do with the tablets, so when he got better, we went back on them 2 a day, second day diarrhea again !!! Vet has never heard of a dog reacting like this not once. So vet and us decided that we will do 1/2 a tablet for one week and build up to one tablet but our goal is to get him to two tablets, as he is losing alot of hair, and worried because is metabolism would be running very low at the moment. Crossing fingers that I will get him to one tab next week. Is Roxie on them Yet ??

Yes, she just started yesterday… she takes .6mg of Soloxine 2x a day. I remember all of that trouble you had w/Bazza… do you think it's because of the meds?!! I'm so sorry… your poor baby. I take Thyroid medicine myself and I know how HORRIBLE I felt before I started taking them. I really hope that he can start tolerating the meds, can he take something else?!!

Bazza

Jun 22, 2013
Melbourne Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Bazza
Yes, she just started yesterday… she takes .6mg of Soloxine 2x a day. I remember all of that trouble you had w/Bazza… do you think it's because of the meds?!! I'm so sorry… your poor baby. I take Thyroid medicine myself and I know how HORRIBLE I felt before I started taking them. I really hope that he can start tolerating the meds, can he take something else?!!

Bazza is meant to be on 0.4mg twice a day. I believe Soloxine and Thyroxine are pretty much the same just made by different manufacturers. They want him to go on 2 tabs until we see improvements and then to 1 a day. It could be a coincidence that he got diarrhea twice when taking the full dose. I will up it next week, but we are about to away for 4 days and my mum is looking after him so don't want to up it when we are not around. Worried about the hair loss a lot, but worried he might be bald before we get him on the correct does. I don' t think there is an alternative vet didn't know one on hand, I dont think she is convinced it is the tablets that are doing it.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online