Anyone experienced with Bull Terriers?

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
Hello everyone!
Winslow is just about to hit 18 months now. Still tooonnnns of puppy left in him, but we definitely see he's lost some of that as well.

Anyway, it is no pressing matter but I am having a hard time finding good info (or an active forum :whistle:) on this breed. My husband's dream dog has always been a bull terrier (please don't tell this to Winslow!). If this goes this way, and that goes that way, maaaayyybbee we will start thinking of a new addition to our family. And, as much as I thought we'd only have bulldogs in our house, it will be a bull terrier.

So:
Health problems? I read that white ones are quite prone to deafness. Any other common issues? Allergies?
What causes the OCD they are sometimes known to have? Lack of structure, exercise, something else?
Could a bulldog keep up with one (we would rather an adult rescue but this is still only a thought)?

If you've got anything else, and I know there's tons I've missed, please let me know!

and just cause.... we all love pics :D

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I'm sorry I don't have any experience with Bull Terriers, but I just have to comment on Winston, he is so cute and Handsome. Love the pics, thanks for sharing.

OP
jenzaar

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
aww thank you [MENTION=6311]Vikinggirl[/MENTION] !!
He is such a good, and a total snuggler. :heart:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OH MY GOSH Winslow is a stud muffin.... handsome boy.

I do not have any direct experience with Bull Terriers, but I know they are more OCD than Bulldogs and have a much higher energy level. when I worked at a dog day care there was one that came in a few times, but he could not handle being there -- high anxiety, which can happen to any dog.

There are also two I see once in awhile at my vet office, pretty cool, but lots of energy - not sure how old they are. Next time I see them I try to get some info and post back to you

OP
jenzaar

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
OH MY GOSH Winslow is a stud muffin.... handsome boy.

I do not have any direct experience with Bull Terriers, but I know they are more OCD than Bulldogs and have a much higher energy level. when I worked at a dog day care there was one that came in a few times, but he could not handle being there -- high anxiety, which can happen to any dog.

There are also two I see once in awhile at my vet office, pretty cool, but lots of energy - not sure how old they are. Next time I see them I try to get some info and post back to you
Wow thanks so much!!
There is definitely time for me to get out there and find more resources and people to get some info. Seems to be a lot more EB people on the internet haha but i know BT parents have got to be just as crazy about their dogs! :p

High energy seems to be the consensus haha. Which is not a bad thing, but i dont know how that factors into compatibility. But you know, it's a totally individual thing as to whether they get along or not.

Anyway, i appreciate it! let me know if you do get in touch with those people. Don't go to any trouble!!! :D

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
You are asking about english bullterriers aka alfs ;-)
I had a pleasure fostering 3 "jaws of steel " fur babies ( 2 in PL and 1 ebt mix in UK)

1)Allergies and deafness are quite common with some of the white dogs - not just ebt
2) ocd? You are talking abot bully mad runs? Chewing ? -bull breeds in general are known for their "mad hours" -and they need structure and putting ground rules from day one -they can be destructive when bored or not having sufficient excursive -so crate training would be recommended
They have also bags of energy and are fantastic companions xx

3) it all depends on a individual dog -if your baby loves walking long distances and running yes of course ,i know (english) bulldogs that quite happily and fast keeping up with american bulldogs

I would speak to the rescue first , and let two of the dogs meet few times ,take them both on the walk and see how they get on -with 2 people holding a dog each just in case x

OP
jenzaar

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
You are asking about english bullterriers aka alfs ;-)
I had a pleasure fostering 3 "jaws of steel " fur babies ( 2 in PL and 1 ebt mix in UK)

1)Allergies and deafness are quite common with some of the white dogs - not just ebt
2) ocd? You are talking abot bully mad runs? Chewing ? -bull breeds in general are known for their "mad hours" -and they need structure and putting ground rules from day one -they can be destructive when bored or not having sufficient excursive -so crate training would be recommended
They have also bags of energy and are fantastic companions xx

3) it all depends on a individual dog -if your baby loves walking long distances and running yes of course ,i know (english) bulldogs that quite happily and fast keeping up with american bulldogs

I would speak to the rescue first , and let two of the dogs meet few times ,take them both on the walk and see how they get on -with 2 people holding a dog each just in case x

Alfs like.... alf? Oh my god hahahaha
(Or did i just miss completely what you meant ....)

Yes i was referring to chewing and I've heard of a bit of tail chasing too.

Winslow has got some long muscular legs on him, and he sure loves to use em! He is a playful boy for sure but an only child so i've gotta worry right? ;)

Thanks pati!

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
alf (there used to be tv show and i remember seeing ebt for first time they always reminded me of Alf lol)
They love chewing lol but again all depends on the individual dog -keep us updated xx
Ps
Alf
2feef03e0a64d3a0cc10f108c33274bc.jpg

OP
jenzaar

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
Hahahaha okay so i was on the right track! Dont think i would ever have thought of that, but it's perfect!!!

I will definitely keep you all up to date! Probably will be a while before we can really think seriously about it but we want to be prepared. :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online