Thread: Anyone have a lab?

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
    Likes (Received)

Default Anyone have a lab?

We have a gigantic brown lab that used to be outside and now he's an inside dog. He is a really good dog, very calm and listens well. However, he sheds like nothing I've ever seen. It's crazy! You can spend hours brushing him and it's like he hasn't seen a brush in years! I use the furminator and the zoom groom. Any suggestions? Does anyone else have a lab? Do they shed buckets of fur? Literally? I can fill a walmart sack of hair every day from him. My daughter brushed him yesterday and this morning I brushed him and it's an amazing thing to see how much I brushed off of him in just a few min. I just wondered if it's normal.

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Anyone have a lab?

Hi Roseann, I don't have a lab, but my brother has a Golden Lab, and he has the same thing. His Lab Duke, sheds buckets everyday. He brushes him as well, but he also has him groomed on a regular basis at the groomers.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

it is ALL the time or doess it seem overly so now? Could be he is just blowing his coat
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Roseann View Post
    We have a gigantic brown lab that used to be outside and now he's an inside dog. He is a really good dog, very calm and listens well. However, he sheds like nothing I've ever seen. It's crazy! You can spend hours brushing him and it's like he hasn't seen a brush in years! I use the furminator and the zoom groom. Any suggestions? Does anyone else have a lab? Do they shed buckets of fur? Literally? I can fill a walmart sack of hair every day from him. My daughter brushed him yesterday and this morning I brushed him and it's an amazing thing to see how much I brushed off of him in just a few min. I just wondered if it's normal.
    I have two labs. A yellow and a Black. The black lab is ok with shedding but the yellow is terrible. I bought a professional buzzer/hair thing from Costco and I use a number 3 and buzz her. It takes off the whole top coat of hair and cuts down on shedding immensely. It also helps keep her cool.
    My smooshy face boy!

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

I have a boxer, and she is shedding like crazy… I bought one of those Furminator brushes for short haired dogs. I do the same w/my bully too… I use the Furminator to pull up the under hairs, and then I use a Kong brush to get all the hair out. I do it about once a week, and they go to the groomers every 6 to 8 weeks for a bath. I also give them coconut oil, that seems to keep their coat soft and keep the shedding down some.

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
    Likes (Received)

Well, it sometimes amazes me that I can be so dumb! I have said before that I'm new to dogs. I guess I didn't understand what blowing their coat meant. Wow! That's exactly what it is. Thanks everyone for the help. Forgive me as I am still learning. It's terrible to be this old and not know these things! Lol

Remove Ads