Anyone have a lab?

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
We have a gigantic brown lab that used to be outside and now he's an inside dog. He is a really good dog, very calm and listens well. However, he sheds like nothing I've ever seen. It's crazy! You can spend hours brushing him and it's like he hasn't seen a brush in years! I use the furminator and the zoom groom. Any suggestions? Does anyone else have a lab? Do they shed buckets of fur? Literally? I can fill a walmart sack of hair every day from him. My daughter brushed him yesterday and this morning I brushed him and it's an amazing thing to see how much I brushed off of him in just a few min. I just wondered if it's normal.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Roseann, I don't have a lab, but my brother has a Golden Lab, and he has the same thing. His Lab Duke, sheds buckets everyday. He brushes him as well, but he also has him groomed on a regular basis at the groomers.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
it is ALL the time or doess it seem overly so now? Could be he is just blowing his coat

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
We have a gigantic brown lab that used to be outside and now he's an inside dog. He is a really good dog, very calm and listens well. However, he sheds like nothing I've ever seen. It's crazy! You can spend hours brushing him and it's like he hasn't seen a brush in years! I use the furminator and the zoom groom. Any suggestions? Does anyone else have a lab? Do they shed buckets of fur? Literally? I can fill a walmart sack of hair every day from him. My daughter brushed him yesterday and this morning I brushed him and it's an amazing thing to see how much I brushed off of him in just a few min. I just wondered if it's normal.

I have two labs. A yellow and a Black. The black lab is ok with shedding but the yellow is terrible. I bought a professional buzzer/hair thing from Costco and I use a number 3 and buzz her. It takes off the whole top coat of hair and cuts down on shedding immensely. It also helps keep her cool.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I have a boxer, and she is shedding like crazy… I bought one of those Furminator brushes for short haired dogs. I do the same w/my bully too… I use the Furminator to pull up the under hairs, and then I use a Kong brush to get all the hair out. I do it about once a week, and they go to the groomers every 6 to 8 weeks for a bath. I also give them coconut oil, that seems to keep their coat soft and keep the shedding down some.

OP
Roseann

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
Well, it sometimes amazes me that I can be so dumb! I have said before that I'm new to dogs. I guess I didn't understand what blowing their coat meant. Wow! That's exactly what it is. Thanks everyone for the help. Forgive me as I am still learning. It's terrible to be this old and not know these things! Lol

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.