cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Well, I don't have any "other pet"...yet(!) but am considering adopting a kitty.

A thread from another member prompted me to write this post this morning. I've been thinking for a few months now about adopting a cat but there are some things that have caused me to hold back.

First, I don't consider myself a "cat person". I fell in love with a beautiful all-gray cat who used to wander in our backyard when I was a little kid. I named her Stella and she had a collar with a little bell on it. She wasn't mine but i would play with her when she wandered into our yard. That was really my only real-life-personal experience with a cat.
So can a non-cat-person become a cat person? hmm...:hmm:

Second, I have no idea how to take care of a cat. All i know is i need kitty litter.

Third, how would the boys react to a cat and vice versa?

So those are my concerns so far. If anyone can provide some insight, feedback, advice, please do. There are so many unwanted kitties that i hear about in my neighborhood but something keeps holding me back from actually taking one in.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Ok let's think about this. First, ask yourself why do you want to get a cat? Second, the cat is going to need vet care just like a dog, and scooping kitty litter everyday is a bit of a pain. I have a Tuxedo kitty. She is great but we had to make sure she had a good scratching post so she would not claw the furniture. Brutus an her get along fine, but Frankie does not like her so Boots (the cat) stays upstairs when Frankie is awake. Also I had to move the kitty liter out of Bulldog range because brutus liked to eat it! Gross!!! Maybe you can arrange to take Finn and Tate somewhere where there is a cat to see how they react to each other. A kitten would be ok with them, but I think if you adopted a full grown cat it may be harder. When we got boots we rescued her at 6mos old. I did not have the bullys yet but I had my two labs. I had to leash the labs and introduce them one at a time. When they got over the lunging and charging, they were off leash and all was fine. It took a whole day. Maybe you can take the boys to Petco. They have a cat area, and see what happens. Good luck, and keep us posted on your decision.

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Those are very helpful points, Rosalie. Helps me to get a clearer picture and think about it some more...

I think I want a kitty b/c there are just so many of them that are unwanted.
I would also like to see how the boys could get along with a cat and maybe this will soften up Finn's attitude about other animals so then we can also adopt another dog in the near future. Not sure how much sense that makes.
I know it will be lots of work and I must consider the vet bills and added cost of having a cat.

I have a friend who has a cat so maybe i can see how the boys react around her. Your idea of bringing them out to see some cats in neutral territory is a good one too. Maybe if there's an adoption event at one of the pet stores.

Much to ponder still.

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Good luck. I hope it works out. There are so many kittens, cats out there and your home would be a great one for any animal. I think bringing the boys to your friends house would be a great idea.

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
Hi Henny! I rather answer you here than on my thread lol.

OK first i am not a cat person...at all! in the philippines, sad to say, cats are considered pests. growing up, my father's mom hoards them and her place smells like kitty poop and they would steal food off the table ahaha. so i never really liked cats. then i came here in Germany and my husband's parents have this crazy but sweet kitty (now 16 or 17 years old). and he pulled me over to the other side! he is the only cat experience i have. He is a meanie too!

Like you i have no idea how to take care of one now that i have one of my own. should i feed him twice a day or should i free feed him like what my MIL and neighbors are doing? I know i would be feeding him raw but i need him to acclimate himself to us first. I am now free feeding him and it's driving me nuts because it attracts flies! especially now that it's summer. Because we don't know anything from his background, we dont know if he has been vaccinated, dewormed. is he FIV+, does he have special needs...but my most concern is if he has anything that he can pass on to Bifi. Yup We need a visit to the vet.

My neighbor who kept him for 2 weeks said is an absolute sweetheart and just loves to cuddle. I am still waiting for that. At the moment he is being a tyrant, a snob and still loathes Bifi. Bifi on the other hand stopped following him around, he just follows him with his eyes lol.

Have your boys have any encounter with any cats before? maybe you can ask friends with cats if you and the boys can go visit for a test drive. I absolutely encourage you to adopt one (or two lol). why? well at the moment we hardly see him and he doesn't interact with us either so it feels like nothing has changed lol. whatever you decide i wish alot of luck and thumbs up ;).

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Henny, I have always had cats, but we lost our Zoe a couple of years ago… we haven't had another one. I don't really consider myself a dog or cat person because I love all animals… dogs seem more lovable than the rest. I agree w/Rosalie I would test the waters w/the boys and see if they are ok around cats. I also agree on getting a kitten… they usually tolerate dogs better. Cats are easier because you can leave them unattended for hours, but they can tear up your furniture, carpet and God ANY plants!!! They are very independent animals, and they will decide WHEN they want to lavish attention on you… I think you would make a great CAT mom too!!! Lol

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I will be honest. I never really liked cats until my wife and kids finally convinced me to let them get on. Now we have 4 in addition to the girls. 1 tabby, 2 Snow Bengals and 1 Brown Bengal. It was interesting at first as at one time we had 4 cats and 3 dogs in the house so there was never a dull moment. Aside from the litter boxes being a pain we don't really have any problems. The tabby gets a little pissy with the girls from time to time so the girls give him a wide berth. The 3 Bengals will play with both Harlea and Aria and when they have had enough they will smack them on top of their heads and then run and hide.

As we already had the cats before got the girls we brought them in the house in a carrier and left it on the couch for about an bour so the cats could come up and smell it and see what is going on. Thats not to say we don't have attitudes flare up from time to time but the kitties just run away when the girls get too rough or if they don't want to play.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
That is a great point [MENTION=8859]Marine91[/MENTION], Frankie doesn't like boots so she will just stay upstairs away from him. Cats have a great knack for running and hiding. Our dogs do not go upstairs so it works out for us.@calibaker do you have an area where the boys don't go?

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lots of great feedback , gang! thanks so much. I'm still not sure though...:unsure:

Rosalie, the boys go everywhere in the house but if i did get a kitty i'd reserve a place for him/her only.

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
[MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION] you should put up shelves on the wall where the cat get up and run and not feel cornered. he could have a bird's eyeview where he can observe and watch your boys if he doesn't wanna interact with them. I heard mine purring for the first time lastnight and i was sooo thrilled! makes up for the daily cleaning of the litter box lol.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Well, Banks will eat anything that moves, so are Finn or Tate like that? if yes, you might want to reconsider :D

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Well [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION], my SIL and bro came over the other day with one of their dogs, a long-haired Chihuahua named Pirate. He's the tiniest thing and so sweet...maybe the size of a cat. Finn chased him down a small ditch while barking madly, and Tate "playfully" played chase with him, almost causing Pirate to have a heart attack :w00t:!!

IMG_5962.jpg

Would that be an indication of how they would react to a kitty? :ponder:

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Well [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION], my SIL and bro came over the other day with one of their dogs, a long-haired Chihuahua named Pirate. He's the tiniest thing and so sweet...maybe the size of a cat. Finn chased him down a small ditch while barking madly, and Tate "playfully" played chase with him, almost causing Pirate to have a heart attack :w00t:!!

View attachment 72933

Would that be an indication of how they would react to a kitty? :ponder:

Without a doubt.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.