Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi everyone, I posted on here a while back about my Quaker parrot being vicious and biting us.
Last April hubby and I went to Jamaica, for our wedding and vacation, when we got back, my Quaker parrot Kiwi, became very territorial of his cage, was very vicious, and would lunge at us and bite. He talks a lot, and seems friendly when you stand beside the cage, but try to touch him or his cage, he is in attack mode. I have continued to talk to him, and hand feed him, but have not been able to take him out of the cage or hold him. He was hand tamed as a baby and was always friendly. My grandson used to hold him and he never bit anyone. I spoke to a few people at the pet store and have been trying to get him back, but had no luck. I felt really bad for him, because he is alone in the cage, and I feel like I'm neglecting him and not giving the time he needs. Yesterday I went grocery shopping at a store in my new neighbourhood, and there was a PetValu in the plaza, I went in and in the store was a Cockatiel in a cage, I went up to the cage and started to pet his head. The young man behind the cash counter said "oh be careful, he's known to bite". He was friendly with me, and let me pet his head. I laughed and told the man I'm used to that, I have a Sid Vicious at home, and asked him if he had any experience with birds, and biting or aggressive behaviour. He said he knew a little, but that the lady in the back has a Quaker, and she has lots of experience with birds. He got her to talk to me, and she gave me great tips on how to retame Kiwi. She showed me how to clip his flight wings, by showing me with the bird in the store, it's very easy to clip the wings. Then she told me I had to take a towel and take him out of the cage, she said to place him on the bathroom floor, and that he would want me to rescue him. Taking him out of his cage, makes him non territorial, and he wants you rescue him. It totally worked, I was able to pet his head, touch his back, and hold him with the towel for the first time in a long time. I thought it would take a lot more time and patience to be able to get to this point, but am so happy I'm able to interact with him again. It's going to take some time to get him to step up on my hand again, he still tries to bite me if I put my hand in front and say step up, or if I try to pick him up. I had to use the towel, but it is a big step, and a start.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 45
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 43
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 45

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
wow.... very interesting 'recue him' -- how cool! good luck with all of it, and keep us posted

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Over the years, I have had African Grays, Amazons, and some smaller parrots,parakeets. It seems with the parrots, when they start to mature-they become protective of their cages.
Some of them I had, I had to let them come out on their own. Once they were outside the cage, then they would get on my hand. Another thing I did was when I put my hand in the cage, and they went to but-I did NOT pull my hand back. That gave me the victory over them(sort of like "nothing in life is free" with a dog. I just prepared myself to be bitten and sometimes I was-but most of the time the bird would back off. Good luck re-taming your bird!

OP
Vikinggirl

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Thanks Lynn, he is getting better, still won't step up on my hand like he used to, and won't come out of the cage, I still have to pick him up with a towel, but once he's out I can pet him and touch him without him biting. I'll try your method of letting him come out of the cage by himself , because he seems to be very territorial with his cage. Someone else told me to rearrange the toys in his cage, I'm going to try that when I clean his cage and see if it helps. I'm just glad that I can at least take him out of the cage and handle him a little, so he's not alone.

Jocha25

Feb 28, 2014
My African Greys are the other way. They love your hand when you put it in the cage as they know they are coming out. It's when they are out that they might get snappy because they don't wanna go back in 🐦😝

OP
Vikinggirl

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
These birds are funny, they go through terrible twos, and they hold grudges when you leave them, they get angry at you.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.