Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you know when to put a dog down?

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)

Default How do you know when to put a dog down?

I have a black lab that is 12 yrs old. She usually manages ok with a little help from me. She isn't too steady on her feet and needs help getting up the back stairs sometimes but the problem I am having is she is becoming incontinent with her urine. She pees all the time in the house even after she has been out. We wake up t pee and she will pee throughout the day. It is now everyday. I called the vet and he wants to do a full workup on her and rule things out. The problem with this is she isn't very tolerant of anyone but me. The vet hasn't treated her for a few years now. I would share the heart worm meds I got for the yellow lab with her and the vet was ok with this. She never leaves the house so she didn't really need anything. She has had all her vaccinations and stuff when she was younger. Anyway, now he wants to all of a sudden do this whole work up on a her.He all of a sudden wants to prescribe her non steriod anti inflammartories. he said he can give her a sedative to treat her?? I think just the exam will give her a heart attack. So do I try to have her examined? I think maybe this will just wind up costing a fortune and I will still be faced with the decision of whether or not to put her down. I have never had an old dog before. My other lab died from Swiffer wet jet solution poisoning when she was only 7. And the cherry on this s&*t sundae is all her peeing in the house is confusing the other dogs and they are having accidents. Thank god I dont have carpets down stairs and I rolled up the area rug in the Living room. Please tell me what to do, I am clueless.
    My smooshy face boy!

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: How do you know when to put a dog down?

I have not been faced with this decision.... but I think a few here have, @JeannieCO, I know did jsut not long ago with her sweet Ace.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Oh my gosh… I'm so so sorry Rosalie. I've been thru this several times, and it never gets any easier. I had a cat that lived to be 18, was diabetic and going blind. I knew it was time, and I had made the appointment but he died at the house the day before. My other cat (who was also 18) started just laying around in his own urine, so it was obvious that it was time to go. IMO if they are losing their bladder, in pain, or in obvious distress then it's definitely time… Would the vet let him take the steroids w/out the whole workup? I agree that it might cost you a fortune to find out that he's just old...

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

The New Casper Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Todd
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harlea
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

We had to face this reality twice last year. It is never easy. My Boxer Remi who was 13 started having the same problems you are describing. We chose to have a workup done to find out what was wrong with him to see if it even be treated. In his case it turned out he was in the early stages of kidney and liver failure and there was nothing we could really do but we at least knew what was going on. As the condition was only going to get more painful for him we made the decision to let him go be with his brother Rusty.

For Sasha my 8yo Ridgeback we took her to the vet for a bloody nose and found out it was inoperable cancer so we took ber home and spent the weekend with her and made the tough decision to have her join her brothers the folowing Monday.

For both of them we chose to have them checked even though deep down we knew their time was short as it help give us some closure with knowing that with the conditions they each had that we were doing the right thing and not letting them suffer. So if I was in you situation again I would at least have the workup done so you at least know what is going on and then make a decision from there. Heck she could just have a kidney or bladder infection that could be treated with some meds and you get another couple of years to love her.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    Bulldogs are like potato chips. You just can't stop with one.

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

I love you, Todd...but have to disagree as it seems to me the poor love
    is going to continue going downhill, anti-inflammatories, steroids, etc for
    really senior dogs...just no way. Just put my elderly cat down in Jan for
    same behaviors, just knew it was time to let her go. Dogs & cats hide their
    pain and I can't bear the thought of them suffering just because I can't let
    them go. It's always difficult but part of having them. I'm so sorry you've lost
    your beloveds so close together.

Rosalie, I'm sorry your sweet love is declining and know you've thought of
    what to do for a long while now. It's okay to say goodbye and let her go.
    Do what YOU feel is right to do for her. Will keep this in prayer~GOD bless!

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Real Name
    Todd
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harlea
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

@Texas Carol No worries love. That is what makes us beautiful people.

Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Thanks guys i can always count on great honest advice. You guys rock.
    My smooshy face boy!

Real Name
    Todd
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harlea
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by brutus77 View Post
    Thanks guys i can always count on great honest advice. You guys rock.
    Hugs and love to you.

Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Rosalie, I'm so sorry you're going through this. I have not had to go through this experience but have heard from others who have that you just "know" when the time is right. Not very scientific of an answer, is it? It may be worthwhile to have the work-up done b/c maybe her condition is indeed treatable and you will still have a few more years with your lab. I don't know, this is such a difficult and personal decision that you and your family will have to make. Sending you lots of love.

Queenie I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Emma, Max, Wilson & Jack (Sally RIP 3/14/16)
    Likes (Received)

Awwww Rosalie, I'm so sorry your sweet baby is going through this. You have some wonderful advice above. For me, I just knew. Ace was frail and although he had his happy times, you could see it in his eyes. There's a look they'll give you too. I can't explain it, you just know. The most unselfish thing you can do is to let them go peacefull with dignity. It does sound like she's ready. I suppose you could try Proin for the peeing. That's what Sally is on for bladder control. It tightens up the bladder. But honestly, it sounds like it's time. Ace was even wagging his tail when the lady came to the house. It was heartbreakin beyond belief but I knew it was his time. He would have suffered more if I had kept him longer for me. Big hugs to you sweetie!!!! This decision is the hardest one of all to make.
    Three Hooligans and 1 Angel - Wilson, Sally, Emma & Jack

Pooper scooper
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    daisy
    Likes (Received)

we had our first beloved dog put down at 17years. She developed cancer around the eyes. I was young and jut listened to the Vet who had her stay overnight several times to heal her up.I am sure this was very stressful for her but I loved her and though I was doing what the Vet said to do.
    Well each time she came home the cancer would smell terrible and he sores would reopen.

I made the decision to put her down(she was 17 after all) The Vet didn't make it easy, he said she had a strong heart and Ishould persist.

Now I am older and somewhat wiser,I wonder how this Vet could have aid that $$$$$?.
    I know I made the right decision.

So sorry you have to go thru this.

Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JeannieCO View Post
    Awwww Rosalie, I'm so sorry your sweet baby is going through this. You have some wonderful advice above. For me, I just knew. Ace was frail and although he had his happy times, you could see it in his eyes. There's a look they'll give you too. I can't explain it, you just know. The most unselfish thing you can do is to let them go peacefull with dignity. It does sound like she's ready. I suppose you could try Proin for the peeing. That's what Sally is on for bladder control. It tightens up the bladder. But honestly, it sounds like it's time. Ace was even wagging his tail when the lady came to the house. It was heartbreakin beyond belief but I knew it was his time. He would have suffered more if I had kept him longer for me. Big hugs to you sweetie!!!! This decision is the hardest one of all to make.
    You hit it right on the head. I feel if I do all the tests and stuff, it is more for us. She looks at me with her sweet eyes and I can feel that she is just tired. My husband and I are going to take a few days to really think about this and to see what happens.
    My smooshy face boy!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads