Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
MAY I GO - by Susan A. Jackson

Do you think the time is right?
May I say goodbye to pain filled days and endless lonely nights?

Iā€™ve lived my life and done my best, an example tried to be.
So can I take that step beyond, and set my spirit free?

I didnā€™t want to go at first, I fought with all my might.
But something seems to draw me now to a warm and loving light.

I want to go, I really do; itā€™s difficult to stay.
But I will try as best I can to live just one more day.

To give you time to care for me and share your love and fears.
I know youā€™re sad and afraid, because I see your tears.

Iā€™ll not be far, I promise that, and hope youā€™ll always know,
that my spirit will be close to you wherever you may go.

Thank you so for loving me. You know I love you too,
and thatā€™s why itā€™s hard to say goodbye and end this life with you.

So hold me now just one more time and let me hear you say,
because you care so much for me, youā€™ll let me go today.

~~~

Hi Rosalie, I'm so sorry you are going through this and facing such a heart breaking
decision. I lost my Jack Russell a little over 3 years ago, she was 14 years old when she passed, but she lived the last 2 years of her life with cancer. In the beginning, she ate, played, did her duties normal, and still liked to go on her walks. She would have bloody poops sometimes, but didn't seem to be in pain, and was always happy. As time went on, she started to sleep more, her back end was wasting away, and she lost weight. I had many talks with my vet over when we should put her down. He told me that the decision would come down to her quality of life. The decision is never an easy one to make, but sometimes we try to hold on to our babies, because we can't bear to part with them. We worry if it as too early, or if it's too late. We have to ask ourselves are they suffering? , are they enjoying their life?, Can they still play fetch, run, play, go to the bathroom by themselves?, do they still have quality of life? Just because our pets are alive, doesn't mean they are living. Sometimes the most humane and selfless thing we can do, is let them go, even if it hurts, and to stay with them and comfort them when we send them to the rainbow bridge. In the end, my dog passed away in her sleep, just before I was going to have her put down, and she passed away at home.

How do I know when it is time to put my dog down?

I recently had a VERY long conversation with an old friend. His aged dog was suffering and he was trying to determine if the time had come to put his buddy down. Between the two of us, we put a lot of energy into the discussion, so I wanted to document the gist of it in case I ever needed to cover the topic again.

Before I begin however, I must stress that I am not a vet and nothing I say should be construed as medical advice. You simply must have a conversation with your vet prior to reaching any conclusion. My father has always had dogs, and for that large portion of my life that Iā€™ve shared with him, I of course have had dogs as well. And Iā€™ve had to face these decisions with him on multiple occasions.

Putting a dog (or any pet for that matter) down is one of the hardest things that a person can be called on to do. It is perhaps the ultimate price that a dog owner has to pay. But, really, if you put this task in context of the love, enjoyment, and myriad other benefits that youā€™ve gained from a lifetime with a dog ā€“ the weight of this task isnā€™t much. It is one of the costs of dog ownership. You knew it when you decided to adopt the dog. Dogs have a much shorter life span than humans, so the odds were pretty well set that you would have to face this day eventually.

I donā€™t know if any of that makes the decision easier, but it does point towards your obligation to make the decision ā€“ and make it wisely. This is perhaps my most important point ā€“ as the owner of the dog it is your decision to make. It is your responsibility. Your dog, your faithful companion, your best friend is counting on you to do the right thing for him. He trusts you in this as he has trusted you in all things ever since that first day when he licked your face and stole your heart

This means that you must dispose of the myth that your dog will ā€œtell you when it is time.ā€ Oh how wonderful and comforting it would be if that was true. But it isnā€™t true. In fact the exact opposite is true. Your dog is hardwired, genetically coded to hide this information from you. In the wild, a weak dog is a dead dog. So all dogs will do their very best to hide any weakness. The very fact that you are thinking about this topic probably tells you that your dog has already failed in this effort ā€“ which in his canine mind is a life-and-death matter.

Only your vet can tell you if your dogā€™s condition is a temporary, curable situation. Even if it is theoretically curable, that doesnā€™t mean that it is practical to do so. I heard on NPR the other day the story of a man who has spent over $20,000 on radiation treatments for his pet duckā€™s cancer. Not very many of us can do that. And even if we could it doesnā€™t necessarily mean that we should. Is curing your dogā€™s condition worth losing your house over? Should your kids skip meals so that the dog can have his medication? Only you can make this decision. But do keep in mind that a dog is a dog and however much a part of your family he is, you have to consider the rest of your human family in the equation.

On a more practical question, is your dog still capable of living and enjoying a dogā€™s life? Can the poor creature still sit, stand, and walk on his own? No dog is happy, or even still really a dog, if he canā€™t get up and defecate on his own power. Sure his tail still thumps that happy greeting when he sees you, but if he canā€™t take care of his own business he isnā€™t happy

Understand that you will second-guess yourself. That is a normal part of the grieving process. And you will grieve when your beloved companion is gone. Delaying the decision will not change that one single iota. And your grief, or your concerns about the grief that is guaranteed to be coming your way, cannot be a part of your decision process. You will grieve. The loss will hurt. You cannot change that, and you donā€™t really want to change that. But this decision is not about you. Yes, one more day of chasing rabbits or playing fetch or whatever would be wonderful. But wanting it, which of course you do, doesnā€™t make it real.

The only factor now is what is best for your dog. If he cannot live a dogā€™s life ā€“ feeding himself and eliminating for himself, then it is time to go. Hold him, love him, and let him drift off to sleep one last time in your arms. Do him that last loving favor and take him to the bridge.

If you arenā€™t familiar with the Rainbow Bridge myth, remember that Google is your friend. There are many sites that feature this story, here is just one of them

http://www.petloss.com/poems/maingrp/rainbowb.htm

The basic story is that when a pet dies, they go to a place just this side of heaven. Nearby is a rainbow bridge that leads to heaven. Your pet is restored to his full health and vigor. He romps and plays there with other pets, waiting for the day that you arrive so that the two of you can cross the bridge together and live happily ever after. I donā€™t know that it fits into any sort of orthodox religion, but it has been a comfort to me ā€“ and that is good enough.

My father, wise man that he is, tells a slightly different tale, but one that has also long been a comfort to me. It is the story of an old man who finds himself walking along a country road. From out of a nearby field comes his favorite old dog, who had passed away many years ago. The dog is healthy and very pleased to see him. The two walk along the road, enjoying each otherā€™s company ā€“ as only a man and his dog can. It is a beautiful day, and although the sun is beating down on them, the joy of walking together is overwhelming.

They soon come to a beautiful alabaster wall that surrounds a huge complex along the side of the road. Eventually, they come upon the gates to the glorious place. There is a man sitting at a desk outside of the gate. He tells the man that these are the gates to heaven, and the man is welcome to enter. Inside there will be cool water and a comfortable place to lie in the shade. The old man is thrilled. He pets his dog and says ā€œcome on boy, letā€™s go.ā€ But the official stops him. He says that while the old man is welcome in heaven, there is no place for dogs in heaven.

The old man is really torn. Of course he wants to enter the gates of heaven, but to have to leave his dog behind is an enormous price. He decides that heā€™s just going to walk a while longer with his old dog. So they proceed down the road.

Eventually they come to a rickety old wooden gate. Just inside the gate is a very old man lounging along side a well. He calls to the pair and asks if they would like to come sit in the shade and enjoy some of his cool well water. The man says ā€œI would love to, but my dog is thirsty as well.ā€ The well-keeper says ā€œbut of course, youā€™ll find not only a pitcher of cool water, but a clean bowl for your dog there as well.ā€

The pair sit and cool off in the shade. The well water is the most amazing, refreshing water they have ever tasted. The man tells the well-keeper of their travels, and the dilemma posed by the gates of heaven. The well-keeper laughs and says ā€œYou have to watch out for that old trickster by the fancy gate. Thatā€™s the devil and those arenā€™t the gates to heaven, but the gates to hell. This here is heaven.ā€ The man appears puzzled, but the well-keeper continues ā€œYou donā€™t think that I would create a creature as magnificent and loving as a dog and then ask you to abandon him in order to enter my kingdom do you? Thatā€™s just a last test for you. Any man who would abandon his dog isnā€™t welcome in heaven.ā€

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
Rosalie, I'm sorry you are having to face this decision. It's such a rough one. Just remember you owe her dignity. That's how i always have seen it since i watched my mom prolong 2 of our dogs passing. It was not fair to them after all the years they were so loyal. She had let them suffer before making the decision to let them go. I will NEVER do that to my babies as they deserve respect and the dignity to pass with me by their side. Sending lots of love and prayers to you and your family as you go through this.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
You hit it right on the head. I feel if I do all the tests and stuff, it is more for us. She looks at me with her sweet eyes and I can feel that she is just tired. My husband and I are going to take a few days to really think about this and to see what happens.

Molly's a precious girl Rosalie. I didn't question my decision at all during that week I had to wait for that day. I wanted to be sure that I had plently of time to get my cuddles and alone time with Ace and I did, we did. When he got his first shot of 3, he was laying between my legs with me on the carpet and he was all snuggled in. I literally felt his body FINALLY relax. I can't emphasize enough on what that moment was like. It was then did I really realize how much tension he'd been holding in his body. I was relieved for him. We had given Ace a great life and we owed to him to let him go.

It's so hard though. I don't even you one bit right now. Trust your gut. :hug:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
It is never an easy decision, but I think you will know when it is time. As the others hve said, I think it is close to the time for her. We put our 14 year old Beagle down earlier this year. She had her good days and her bad days, but we knew it was time, before she got down too bad and was in too much pain. So sorry for you, as it is never an easy decision to make. After I put our Beagle down I was sad, but knew I did the right thing for her.

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
I am sorry you and your family are going through such a difficult time and good luck with whatever decision you decide. We had to put down our Great Dane, Beast Dog this time last year and it was difficult on the whole family. She was 13 1/2 and we knew it was time; the vet won't do any tests on her because of her age so we didn't have to think about that ordeal but she had good days and bad and would lose control of her bowels more and more each day. We made an appointment, let her eat whaever she wanted the day before the appointment and she went peacefully at the vets office. Even just walking down the hallway in the vets office she lost her bowels but she was having a good day. The only thing I can say is you will know when it is time; just be there for them and good luck.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Rosalie this is such a horrible thing to deal with but I think when its time you gut knows Our pug's Tei-Arnna and Pugsley we had to have put to sleep and it was such a hard decision and we probably left it a bit long with Tei-Arnna has she was suffering and Pugsley had a stroke we tried for a couple of days in the end he couldn't do anything pee, stand, eat and it was so hard it took us 7 years to get over it before we could bring ourselves to love another pet again until we got Ftse.

iggypiggy

Dec 8, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Iggy
I have had to put two dogs down. It is a tough decision, because they can't tell you how they really are feeling. My vet said the best thing to me though. It is up to us, their mom or dad to do what is right. They look to us for everything. They will not show pain, because to a dog, this is a sign of weakness. You havto look at quality of life from a dog's life. How do they feel when they can't go to the bathroom where they should, needing help getting up, laying down. I know, I went through this for over Six months. Your dog does not want to let you down and by keeping him around you are letting him down. One of nine was 13 and the other 16. It was tough. One we put down in the middle of the night because we realized she was suffering. The older one, we waited for a sign of pain that did not come. My vet came to the house and put him down. I was still debating what to do right up until he came. He said we gave the dog a great life, but it was time to let him go. Hardest thing ever. Your dog deserves fir you to do what is right. Let me say that if you go to bed hoping your dog passes away in his sleep, then u know it is time.

iggypiggy

Dec 8, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Iggy
I have had to put two dogs down. It is a tough decision, because they can't tell you how they really are feeling. My vet said the best thing to me though. It is up to us, their mom or dad to do what is right. They look to us for everything. They will not show pain, because to a dog, this is a sign of weakness. You havto look at quality of life from a dog's life. How do they feel when they can't go to the bathroom where they should, needing help getting up, laying down. I know, I went through this for over Six months. Your dog does not want to let you down and by keeping him around you are letting him down. One of nine was 13 and the other 16. It was tough. One we put down in the middle of the night because we realized she was suffering. The older one, we waited for a sign of pain that did not come. My vet came to the house and put him down. I was still debating what to do right up until he came. He said we gave the dog a great life, but it was time to let him go. Hardest thing ever. Your dog deserves fir you to do what is right. Let me say that if you go to bed hoping your dog passes away in his sleep, then u know it is time.

Members online

No members online now.