brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I have a black lab that is 12 yrs old. She usually manages ok with a little help from me. She isn't too steady on her feet and needs help getting up the back stairs sometimes but the problem I am having is she is becoming incontinent with her urine. She pees all the time in the house even after she has been out. We wake up t pee and she will pee throughout the day. It is now everyday. I called the vet and he wants to do a full workup on her and rule things out. The problem with this is she isn't very tolerant of anyone but me. The vet hasn't treated her for a few years now. I would share the heart worm meds I got for the yellow lab with her and the vet was ok with this. She never leaves the house so she didn't really need anything. She has had all her vaccinations and stuff when she was younger. Anyway, now he wants to all of a sudden do this whole work up on a her.He all of a sudden wants to prescribe her non steriod anti inflammartories. he said he can give her a sedative to treat her?? I think just the exam will give her a heart attack. So do I try to have her examined? I think maybe this will just wind up costing a fortune and I will still be faced with the decision of whether or not to put her down. I have never had an old dog before. My other lab died from Swiffer wet jet solution poisoning when she was only 7. And the cherry on this s&*t sundae is all her peeing in the house is confusing the other dogs and they are having accidents. Thank god I dont have carpets down stairs and I rolled up the area rug in the Living room. Please tell me what to do, I am clueless.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I have not been faced with this decision.... but I think a few here have, [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION], I know did jsut not long ago with her sweet Ace.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh my gosh… I'm so so sorry Rosalie. I've been thru this several times, and it never gets any easier. I had a cat that lived to be 18, was diabetic and going blind. I knew it was time, and I had made the appointment but he died at the house the day before. My other cat (who was also 18) started just laying around in his own urine, so it was obvious that it was time to go. IMO if they are losing their bladder, in pain, or in obvious distress then it's definitely time… Would the vet let him take the steroids w/out the whole workup? I agree that it might cost you a fortune to find out that he's just old...

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
We had to face this reality twice last year. It is never easy. My Boxer Remi who was 13 started having the same problems you are describing. We chose to have a workup done to find out what was wrong with him to see if it even be treated. In his case it turned out he was in the early stages of kidney and liver failure and there was nothing we could really do but we at least knew what was going on. As the condition was only going to get more painful for him we made the decision to let him go be with his brother Rusty.

For Sasha my 8yo Ridgeback we took her to the vet for a bloody nose and found out it was inoperable cancer so we took ber home and spent the weekend with her and made the tough decision to have her join her brothers the folowing Monday.

For both of them we chose to have them checked even though deep down we knew their time was short as it help give us some closure with knowing that with the conditions they each had that we were doing the right thing and not letting them suffer. So if I was in you situation again I would at least have the workup done so you at least know what is going on and then make a decision from there. Heck she could just have a kidney or bladder infection that could be treated with some meds and you get another couple of years to love her.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I love you, Todd...but have to disagree as it seems to me the poor love
is going to continue going downhill, anti-inflammatories, steroids, etc for
really senior dogs...just no way. Just put my elderly cat down in Jan for
same behaviors, just knew it was time to let her go. Dogs & cats hide their
pain and I can't bear the thought of them suffering just because I can't let
them go. It's always difficult but part of having them. I'm so sorry you've lost
your beloveds so close together.

Rosalie, I'm sorry your sweet love is declining and know you've thought of
what to do for a long while now. It's okay to say goodbye and let her go.
Do what YOU feel is right to do for her. Will keep this in prayer~GOD bless!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
[MENTION=5315]Texas Carol[/MENTION] No worries love. That is what makes us beautiful people.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

OP
brutus77

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks guys i can always count on great honest advice. You guys rock.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Rosalie, I'm so sorry you're going through this. I have not had to go through this experience but have heard from others who have that you just "know" when the time is right. Not very scientific of an answer, is it? It may be worthwhile to have the work-up done b/c maybe her condition is indeed treatable and you will still have a few more years with your lab. I don't know, this is such a difficult and personal decision that you and your family will have to make. Sending you lots of love.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Awwww Rosalie, I'm so sorry your sweet baby is going through this. You have some wonderful advice above. For me, I just knew. Ace was frail and although he had his happy times, you could see it in his eyes. There's a look they'll give you too. I can't explain it, you just know. The most unselfish thing you can do is to let them go peacefull with dignity. It does sound like she's ready. I suppose you could try Proin for the peeing. That's what Sally is on for bladder control. It tightens up the bladder. But honestly, it sounds like it's time. Ace was even wagging his tail when the lady came to the house. It was heartbreakin beyond belief but I knew it was his time. He would have suffered more if I had kept him longer for me. Big hugs to you sweetie!!!! :hug: This decision is the hardest one of all to make. :(

allaboutbulldogs

Mar 25, 2014
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
daisy
we had our first beloved dog put down at 17years. She developed cancer around the eyes. I was young and jut listened to the Vet who had her stay overnight several times to heal her up.I am sure this was very stressful for her but I loved her and though I was doing what the Vet said to do.
Well each time she came home the cancer would smell terrible and he sores would reopen.

I made the decision to put her down(she was 17 after all) The Vet didn't make it easy, he said she had a strong heart and Ishould persist.

Now I am older and somewhat wiser,I wonder how this Vet could have aid that $$$$$?.
I know I made the right decision.

So sorry you have to go thru this.

OP
brutus77

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Awwww Rosalie, I'm so sorry your sweet baby is going through this. You have some wonderful advice above. For me, I just knew. Ace was frail and although he had his happy times, you could see it in his eyes. There's a look they'll give you too. I can't explain it, you just know. The most unselfish thing you can do is to let them go peacefull with dignity. It does sound like she's ready. I suppose you could try Proin for the peeing. That's what Sally is on for bladder control. It tightens up the bladder. But honestly, it sounds like it's time. Ace was even wagging his tail when the lady came to the house. It was heartbreakin beyond belief but I knew it was his time. He would have suffered more if I had kept him longer for me. Big hugs to you sweetie!!!! :hug: This decision is the hardest one of all to make. :(
You hit it right on the head. I feel if I do all the tests and stuff, it is more for us. She looks at me with her sweet eyes and I can feel that she is just tired. My husband and I are going to take a few days to really think about this and to see what happens.

OP
brutus77

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
This is my sweet Molly girl. She sits and stares at the front door when she know one of the family is coming home. She knows everytime someone is on their way home. I cannot figure out how she knows.
20131218_181222.jpg20131218_181215.jpg

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
Here's the thing dogs live artificially long lives in our care. In the wild they don't get arthritis and dementia they don't get crippled and old. If they can't hunt they eventually die. Or are picked off in some other way. I think keeping a dog comfortable is reasonable but doing things to prolon misery is unfair. We had to pu our senior bully down a little over a year ago. He was confused and one day woke up in severe pain and couldn't walk. I said enough is enough. I didn't feel a bit bad about it. I was sad he was gone but I knew I made the best decision for him. There was a lot of comfort in that. I feel like you will know when it's time. I had considered it before amd wasn't sure but at that point I was. Best of luck with your decision

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
You hit it right on the head. I feel if I do all the tests and stuff, it is more for us. She looks at me with her sweet eyes and I can feel that she is just tired. My husband and I are going to take a few days to really think about this and to see what happens.
Rosalie I know, I have been there more than once, and once is too often. Mostly all my dogs have lived to a good old age-and they had a good life. I have always believed(by seeing it...) that when you look into their eyes, you can tell when they are just ready. A certain spark is just not there any more. I am praying for you, because I KNOW how difficult it is(like you have to play GOD) but when they have reached an age, where they don't deserve to be tortured with testing and poking and prodding-and just deserve to be let go--you just know, and so do they. As [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] said it so well.
Praying for you,and your family. I do feel your pain,I know how hard this is for you.:pray:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.