Roxy

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I lost my Roxy yesterday :(

She was old. I mean REAL old. Like 6000 in dog years. But she was my girl. She helped me raise my kids, she protected them and she loved them. No matter what they did to her she allowed it. Sometimes over the years it annoyed me when she would be scratching on my door at midnight to come in but then I realized what she was doing. She was making the rounds, going bedroom to bedroom making sure everyone was asleep before settling into her own bed for the night. I missed that scratching last night.

Roxy had cancer. I've known for months. But because of her advance age (17) and heart murmur the doctors said there was nothing that could be done. We would just make her comfortable and when the day came that she showed any signs of pain we would stop it. I didn't tell anyone. There was no point. I don't understand how things go from good to bad so quickly. It happened with Abby. It happened with Roxy. Saturday afternoon she was rolling around in the grass, later eating treats with the boys...

View attachment 55851

to screaming in pain when you touch her on Sunday. I hated to leave her on Sunday. My son Jeremy's birthday was yesterday and his future mother in law wanted to have a small family party for him. I hated to leave her but I had to show my face. I gave her a couple of pain pills and tried to pretend everything was ok. I left the party early and so distracted by my Rox at home that I didn't realize my car was in reverse and I slammed into the future mother in laws car. No damage, just a bent up license plate thank God but still. I probably shouldn't have been driving at all. I got home and she was in the same spot that she was in when I left. I gave her some more pills and we sat up with her all night. Yesterday morning the vet came to the house. Everyone was there. Joe stayed home from school. Jeremy and my mom took the day off from work and came down. Jimmy don't have a job yet so he of course was there too.

It was not the peaceful ending that she deserved. I'm sorry for that. But it wasn't anyone fault, just one of those rare things that can happen. The sedative he gave her caused a reaction and she had a seizure. He had to give her more drugs to stop the seizure but then because of all the drugs he couldn't get a vein. Each time he would find one it would blow and he would have to find another one. All of this happening on my living room floor in front of the boys who have loved her for most of their lives. In front of Jeremy on his birthday.

I am incredibly sad that she is gone. She has been with me so long I can't imagine a day without her. But I know that she had a long, happy, healthy, loved life and is now at peace. Hopefully she is sitting with Abby, complaining about all the other bullys I've dragged in and out of the house this past year. Roxy never had patience for puppies (not even her own when she turned up pregnant soon after coming home with us) but she had a soft spot for Abby.

attachment.php

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
:*( is all I can say :(

L

Lucy-licious

Oh Bev...I am so terribly sorry for your loss :hug:

Her and sweet Abby will be snuggling again now and watching over you....God gained another Angel xx

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
Oh gosh. I am sitting here in tears not knowing a bit of the pain you must be going through. My deepest sympathies, to you and your family.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh Bev, I'm so very sorry to hear about your Roxy. I have a Roxie too, my boxer and your sweet story reminds me of her... I have lost several dogs over the years, and it never gets any easier. :*( You gave her a wonderful home to grow old in surrounded by love, that's what any dog would want. Sending prayers & a big hug to you... :assurred:

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Bev, my deepest sympathies go out for you and your family. RIP Sweet Roxy :tissue:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So very sorry Bev.... rest in peace sweet protector and give sweetie head a hug from all of us :hug:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:(

Bev...I am so sorry. Roxy was your guardian angel here on earth. Now she is with Abby...she doesn't remember how she got there...it doesn't really matter. She remembers how she lived and how she was loved. One of the miracles of dogs is they don't feel guilt or pass guilt along. But they DO feel love and DO pass that along. 17 years..what a gift. And she's still got work to do.

Big :hug: to you Sweet Bev...Roxy is checking beds at the bridge...

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Dear Bev, my heart is with you and my prayers too.

We can never prepare ourselves for the pain we feel
once they go and maybe that's a good thing.

I'm so very sorry that you & your family lost another angel.

RIP sweet protector, Roxy.
:angelheart:

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I am so sorry for your loss. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers during this difficult time.

jlcox24

May 5, 2013
NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ollie
I'm so sorry for your loss, I pray for you and your family for peace and healing during this time. Hugs to you all!

fastmatt613

Socks Don't Hold Pee.....Trust Me on This!
Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
I'm so sorry for your loss. But like you said, she lived a long happy loving life. I can't imagine the pain you're going through but hopefully the memory of her great life can help you pull through

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online