Help needed fast for a friend her terrier mix

jlcox24

May 5, 2013
NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ollie
I know its not an bulldog but a friend has posted on fb that her terrier mix has bladder stones, that may require surgery. She has just stones this time but was treated for sturvite (sp?) crystals recently. I of course said let me ask b/c these people are great!!! So whats a good preventitive ones she gets these taken care of or anything to avoid the surgery? any help is great and if some more info is needed i'll ask her again!!
thanks in advance!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I'll tag a few people, but in the mean time.. search EBN for crystals -- there has been a few EB's with the issue and great home remedy info is here somewhere

OP
jlcox24

jlcox24

May 5, 2013
NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ollie
She doesn't have crystals right now just stones, and duh, why i didn't search to begin with !! LONG DAY!
Thanks

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
My father-in-law has a Cairn Terrier and she had to have surgery to remove her stones. They tried to break them up, but they were too big for her to pass... She did fine in surgery, and now she's on special food. Having a kidney stone myself removed this summer, the pain is excruciating!!! Good Luck...

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I looked up ways to prevent struvite crystals and the 5 most important things you can do to prevent them is:

Make sure to give plenty of filtered water because of contamination and chemicals in water, and because dehydration causes struvite crystals or stones

Feed an optimal diet of high quality food

Make sure the dog has plenty of opportunity to empty his bladder throughout the day. When a dog has to hold urine for a long period of time, it can cause urinary tract infections, and cause stones.

Make sure dog lives a stress free lifestyle.

Make sure pet has sufficient exercise throughout the day.

You can give a preventative cranberry pill everyday to prevent urinary tract infections.

Diet to Prevent Canine Struvite Bladder Stones
By Tracey Sandilands
del.icio.us StumbleUpon

Struvite bladder stones are a form of canine urolithiasis. They develop most commonly after a staphylococcal urinary tract infection and consist of magnesium, ammonium and phosphate. The presence of stones is more common in certain breeds of dog. Eighty-five percent of canine patients are female, and stones recur in between 20 and 50 percent of patients. These facts make a predisposition to struvite stones easier to predict, and dogs at risk can avoid contracting stones or the urinary infection that causes them by following a preventative diet.
Make Your Own Dog Food www.whole-dog-journal.com
The Best Recipes for Your Dog All in Whole Dog Journal Magazine

Water

Drinking enough water is the single most important factor for avoiding the development of struvite bladder stones. Adequate water intake helps to dilute the urine and encourages frequent urination, which decreases the concentration of potential stone-forming minerals in the dogā€™s urine, according to a paper Dennis J. Chew delivered at the 2004 Small Animal Proceedings Symposium of the American College of Veterinary Surgeons. Pet owners can encourage dogs to drink more water by adding broth or other flavor enhancers to water.

Commercial Foods

Certain commercial pet food manufacturers have formulated preventative diets. They include Hillā€™s Prescription Diet Canine s/d brand or Royal Caninā€™s Urinary SO diet. These diets are called calculolytic diets and have very high fat and salt content, and should not be given to dogs with heart diseases, hypertension, any history of pancreatitis, or kidney deficiencies. The diets have restricted quantities of protein, phosphate and magnesium, and the additional salt is designed to increase the dogā€™s thirst. The Hill's food comes in the form of a soft, wet canned food, while the Royal Canin food comes in both canned formulation and kibble.

Homemade Food

A homemade diet is one means of ensuring that the dog at risk of struvite bladder stones receives additional salt, which will result in her drinking more water. An easily digestible, low-fiber diet ensures that fluids are not lost through the intestine and should contain a high percentage of foods low in purine. A sample homemade diet low in purine would consist of 3 cups of cooked rice, two large hard-boiled eggs or half a tin of tuna, and 1 tablespoon of fish oil, stirred together.

Dietary Supplements

Natural supplements that are beneficial preventative measures include cranberry capsules and vitamin C. Cranberry helps prevent bacteria from adhering to the tissue lining the urinary tract and bladder, and is available as juice or in concentrated capsule form. Cranberry is more effective if the patient receives it two or three times during the day, instead of in one dose. Vitamin C makes the urine more acidic, which helps to prevent the formation of stones. Also, veterinarians use probiotics extensively to treat bacterial infections. Probiotic supplements made especially for dogs are available.

Last edited:

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Having a kidney stone myself removed this summer, the pain is excruciating!!!

Oh my god, me too, about 4 yrs ago, I became septic and being diabetic, the
Drs said my kidneys were damaged, I was in the hospital a week.

GOD is good, always good and my kidneys are fine :)

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
SysmƤ
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
The best information you get from dogaware....just google "dogaware struvite stones"

[/QUOTE]
Commercial Foods

Certain commercial pet food manufacturers have formulated preventative diets. They include Hillā€™s Prescription Diet Canine s/d brand or Royal Caninā€™s Urinary SO diet. These diets are called calculolytic diets and have very high fat and salt content, and should not be given to dogs with heart diseases, hypertension, any history of pancreatitis, or kidney deficiencies. The diets have restricted quantities of protein, phosphate and magnesium, and the additional salt is designed to increase the dogā€™s thirst. The Hill's food comes in the form of a soft, wet canned food, while the Royal Canin food comes in both canned formulation and kibble.
I would stay away from these products, struvite stones can be managed without this, not very good food.
This is not optimal high quality food.

Homemade Food

A homemade diet is one means of ensuring that the dog at risk of struvite bladder stones receives additional salt, which will result in her drinking more water. An easily digestible, low-fiber diet ensures that fluids are not lost through the intestine and should contain a high percentage of foods low in purine. A sample homemade diet low in purine would consist of 3 cups of cooked rice, two large hard-boiled eggs or half a tin of tuna, and 1 tablespoon of fish oil, stirred together.
Low purine is not required after the stones are disolved. If the dog gets a bloggace surgery is needed.

Dietary Supplements

Natural supplements that are beneficial preventative measures include cranberry capsules and vitamin C. Cranberry helps prevent bacteria from adhering to the tissue lining the urinary tract and bladder, and is available as juice or in concentrated capsule form. Cranberry is more effective if the patient receives it two or three times during the day, instead of in one dose. Vitamin C makes the urine more acidic, which helps to prevent the formation of stones. Also, veterinarians use probiotics extensively to treat bacterial infections. Probiotic supplements made especially for dogs are available. If her dog is already eating high quality food, these are the only things that can prevent the stone.[/QUOTE]

OP
jlcox24

jlcox24

May 5, 2013
NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ollie
Thanks all i'm going to pass along for her! So in this case using something like science diet is prob ok...??

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Thanks all i'm going to pass along for her! So in this case using something like science diet is prob ok...??

using something like Science Diet is never ok :)
[MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] has given you great advice as usual. Tell your friend what Riikka has posted and she will be fine. :yes:

OP
jlcox24

jlcox24

May 5, 2013
NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ollie
Certain commercial pet food manufacturers have formulated preventative diets. They include Hillā€™s Prescription Diet Canine s/d brand or Royal Caninā€™s Urinary SO diet. These diets are called calculolytic diets and have very high fat and salt content, and should not be given to dogs with heart diseases, hypertension, any history of pancreatitis, or kidney deficiencies. The diets have restricted quantities of protein, phosphate and magnesium, and the additional salt is designed to increase the dogā€™s thirst. The Hill's food comes in the form of a soft, wet canned food, while theRoyal Canin food comes in both canned formulation and kibble.

this is where i got science but i read fast i see its Hills! I did copy and paste for her

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
The best information you get from dogaware....just google "dogaware struvite stones"
Commercial Foods

I would stay away from these products, struvite stones can be managed without this, not very good food.
This is not optimal high quality food.

Homemade Food

Low purine is not required after the stones are disolved. If the dog gets a bloggace surgery is needed.

Dietary Supplements

Natural supplements that are beneficial preventative measures include cranberry capsules and vitamin C. Cranberry helps prevent bacteria from adhering to the tissue lining the urinary tract and bladder, and is available as juice or in concentrated capsule form. Cranberry is more effective if the patient receives it two or three times during the day, instead of in one dose. Vitamin C makes the urine more acidic, which helps to prevent the formation of stones. Also, veterinarians use probiotics extensively to treat bacterial infections. Probiotic supplements made especially for dogs are available. If her dog is already eating high quality food, these are the only things that can prevent the stone.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]
:goodpost:

OP
jlcox24

jlcox24

May 5, 2013
NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ollie
Ok, for that homade food recipe would that be 1days meal??

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.