Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
i watched this on tv not long ago - i think its a great insight into our dogs
not sure if it was aired in us -but just in case you missed it there it is

review curtsey of msn
We know dogs are loyal and lovable, but they’re so much more than that. They serve as search-and-rescue heroes, as therapy animals in hospitals, as aides for the disabled, and they are even able to detect the presence of disease, thanks to a keen sense of smell that alerts them to changes in the human body. The Nat Geo Wild special, “The Secret Life of Dogs," premieres on Aug. 25 and highlights some of these canine abilities, highlighting amazing animals such as a Springer spaniel named Jess who works on a sheep farm and bottlefeeds lambs. (And you thought your dog was smart.)

But strangely enough, “There is no such thing as a smart breed — they all have different types of smarts,” says dog expert and writer Julie Hecht, a canine behavioral researcher at Dog Cognition Lab at Barnard College and adjunct professor in the Anthrozoology Masters Program at Canisius College. She shares some fascinating facts in the special, which she calls “part natural history, part science and pure celebration of man’s best friend.”

For example, “Did you know that a dog is more likely to be calm, confident, and self-assured if it’s right-pawed, with the swirl of its hair falling counterclockwise? Or that dogs communicate at least six different emotions through their barks? You might be shocked to learn that a dog’s brain is one-10th the size of humans, but the part that controls smell is 40 times larger.
Following the growth of a dog from birth through her own pregnancy, the special explores the bond between humans and canines. “They are getting a lot from us and we are getting a lot from them,” notes Hecht. “They seek our contact and our attention. They gravitate towards humans more than any other species.”

Those contemplating canine adoption should consider “your lifestyle, what do you like to do and don’t like to do. People tend to focus on the physical aspects of the dog rather than their own behavior and personality, which is very important in selecting a dog,” Hecht points out.

Need another incentive to get one? Do it for your health. Dog owners live longer, are less likely to have heart attacks, and more likely to survive one.”

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Re: ecret life of dogs -worth watching

Dangnabbit. I just tried to schedule the DVR to record and stupid Comcast says it's not available. Grrrrr. LOL This is a great series. I will watch again!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)

WOW this is amazing... I will have to find it online so I can watch it w/my daughter. Thanks for sharing!!! :D

OP
Pati Robins

Pati Robins

Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names

If you guys will have any problem finding it online to watch i try to download it and repost it as a file ;-)

Noyes27

Sep 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack

I just set it to record the next 8 episodes thanks for sharing!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 4

OP
Pati Robins

Pati Robins

Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names

From what i noticed there is also secret life of cats -i cant find any future info on next dogs episodes ;-(

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22

I will have to check it out. Thanks Pati! Not sure how I missed it.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I watched this.... it was awesome. Did not realize it is a series, got remember to watch the rest of them. Some of the info was so cool

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.