8mo boxer pup with allergies!!

Bo'sMamaGirl

Aug 22, 2012
Nothern KY
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bocephus
A friend of mine has an 8mo male boxer who has been dx with allergies by two vets, neither of which has talked about long term treatment. She thinks he's allergic to grass? One vet said use cortisone cream on one area, it turned into ringworm. The other said to clean ears with a wash for 2wks. He has the 'rash' pretty much all over ( face arms/legs body ears) starting to loose hair from at the scratching.
Can he have benadryl? Something else she should be doing? He's on grain free food now. It hasn't really helped to change anything at this point. Any help is appreciated!!
5y9ysu7a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B

Baxter Tiberius

I would keep them grain free long term. It takes time for immune system to calm down if that is the culprit. Baxter had a rash on his lower belly and penis when I got him. The vet grabbed a bunch of gold bond powder and tossed it on there. A day or three later it is almost gone. Strange because it looks exactly like your picture. And he said it was just heat rash. Maybe they're not the same. Hard to know?

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
It sounds to me that neither of these vets are that up on rashes & causes.
Can't dx ringworm??? They also seem uncaring~rashes & allergies may not
be life threatening (if autoimmune it can be) but it can make the dog suffer
terribly and lead to infections and other serious stuff. I'd find a CARING and
experienced Vet to dx the real problem, BTW steriods are not long term solutions
either.

Yes, give Benedryl, 1 mg per 1 lb so if Boxer is 50 lbs give 2 (25 mg each) capsules.
Mix in food and give daily such as in AM meal. Immune system needs boosting, give
a dollop of plain, unsweetened yogurt on top of food 1 x daily, on pm meal toss some
blueberries in there, about a TSP. Give 1 TBS of LOCAL honey, drizzel over one of the
meals~helps w/grass, pollen, dust...it desensitizes them~great for people too! Do not
use oatmeal shampoos and yes, Gold Bond Pdr, cortizone & neosporin can help rash.

Keep using the grain free, it takes at least a month for old food to clear out of system.
The protein source might be responsible too but give at least 1 month and see what
happens unless symptoms continue to worsen, then try different source of protein &
do slow transition. Good luck & let us know!

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
I always found diaper rash cream works wonders - we use sudocream (check amazon) as it contains less harmful chemicals for dogs -we put thin barrier before walk and after each walk a wipe clean Shy paws and belly -it seem to help with the rash
Is the vet sure that it os the gras allergy? My friends dog is allergic to carpet and wool -she gets rash that looks exactly the same as Shy when she comes in contact with those things
I would go to another vet rather than have my dog covered in all sorts of stuff
In Uk we also have piriton (for humans) but our vet used it on Shy in summer months for grass /polen allergy and it stopped her scratching herself

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
[Mix in food and give daily such as in AM meal. Immune system needs boosting, give
a dollop of plain, unsweetened yogurt on top of food 1 x daily, on pm meal toss some
blueberries in there, about a TSP. Give 1 TBS of LOCAL honey, drizzel over one of the
meals~helps w/grass, pollen, dust...it desensitizes them~great for people too! Do not
use oatmeal shampoos and yes, Gold Bond Pdr, cortizone & neosporin can help rash.

Sorry, amount of blueberries should be a TBS (tablespoon) daily and NOT a TSP (teaspoon)

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
this is something that is very hard to pinpoint and thats allergies. benadryl will help but identifying the cause is better. needs some detective work. such as is the rash worse at times and better at times. does a bath help? is it worse after food or going outside. mine have been doing better with allergies since i give them 1 tsp of pet grade/food grade diatomaceous earth every day. also i give 125 mg of vit c twice a day. im not saying its the food but a grain free food does not insure the allergies go away if there is still something in the food bothering the dog. could be grass, fleas, anything in the house. when sarah was itching cortisone cream helped and we put baby powder on top of it and that seemed to sooth her greatly.

OP
Bo'sMamaGirl

Bo'sMamaGirl

Aug 22, 2012
Nothern KY
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bocephus
this is something that is very hard to pinpoint and thats allergies. benadryl will help but identifying the cause is better. needs some detective work. such as is the rash worse at times and better at times. does a bath help? is it worse after food or going outside. mine have been doing better with allergies since i give them 1 tsp of pet grade/food grade diatomaceous earth every day. also i give 125 mg of vit c twice a day. im not saying its the food but a grain free food does not insure the allergies go away if there is still something in the food bothering the dog. could be grass, fleas, anything in the house. when sarah was itching cortisone cream helped and we put baby powder on top of it and that seemed to sooth her greatly.

I believe she said its worse after playing outside. She's thinking grass.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I believe she said its worse after playing outside. She's thinking grass.

Has she had a full panel allergy test done? It would be quicker for her to know what it is he is allergic to!

FORDE'SMOM

Jun 17, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Forde
MY bullie breeder told me when i take forde out if he gets a rash from the grass to spray the area with listerine...he gets it on his tummy at times......i spray him and the rash dissappears in no time...i never put on his face though !

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online