Pit troubles

Noyes27

Sep 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack
I didnt know where to post this, so mods please move as appropriate.

I am at my wits end with my 10 month old pitbull. I have looked around some pit forums, but everyone there are so rude, and always get on a soapbox.

My problem started on the 4th of July when I had a bbq and the pit learned that people leave snacks on tables, counters, and in the garbage! Now she gets into EVERYTHING the moment we turn away. The other day she even got on the counter while my bf was standing a foot away.

She knows she isnt supposed to do it, and now even goes into her cage in anticipation of timeout and/or her safe place before we notice what she got into.

Its so frustrating, bc she is essentially rewarded with whatever edible item she gets to before we catch her.

Last week she ate an entire tub of margarine licked clean in the time I went to the washroon after breakfast before clearing the table. Today it was pizza off the counter while I was taking out the trash.

Honestly at this point I am even considering a shock collar for when we catch her in the act bc I dont know how else to give people food or anything not in her bowl a negative association.

And now my bulldog with severe allergies has become a dumpster diver! He never used to get into the garbage until she taught him abiut the great snacks in there!

Help!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Get her back on leash in the house and attach her to you until she learns her place again. She is not seeing either of you as pack-lead and she needs to go back to basic with learning her place. Have you done any training classes with them... just the basic command class would be great to get her started back on track.

Also, until she is back on the program, you should not leave anything out for her to get to, she will then realize there is nothing to be had and stop the behavior, but you have to do that in sync with all the training

OP
Noyes27

Noyes27

Sep 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack
Get her back on leash in the house and attach her to you until she learns her place again. She is not seeing either of you as pack-lead and she needs to go back to basic with learning her place. Have you done any training classes with them... just the basic command class would be great to get her started back on track.

Also, until she is back on the program, you should not leave anything out for her to get to, she will then realize there is nothing to be had and stop the behavior, but you have to do that in sync with all the training

Thanks I will try the leash training, she has never been in a class, but we taught her a handful of commands, maybe we should think of some more...when we got her in April she didn't know any commands, now she knows sit, stay, come, wait, be nice (when taking treats), shake, and lay down. Oh and down, off, (both for couches or beds) out, in, no, and thats enough.

Any other command suggestions? Idk if she will ever do roll over, even though Mack does it.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks I will try the leash training, she has never been in a class, but we taught her a handful of commands, maybe we should think of some more...when we got her in April she didn't know any commands, now she knows sit, stay, come, wait, be nice (when taking treats), shake, and lay down. Oh and down, off, (both for couches or beds) out, in, no, and thats enough.

Any other command suggestions? Idk if she will ever do roll over, even though Mack does it.

Not that she needs more commands, just need to make sure all her commands are used by everyone in the house and you all remain consistent in how she is corrected and treated.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Pit forums are horrible imo. I never joined one and never will. Christine has given some good advice. Defiantely do the leash training until she has some struture. I had to do it with Wilson for a bit when his agression with Jack was bad (he just had excitement issues and still does). We've had 4 pitties and I'm sure you know the stigma that goes along with them, let alone the pressures of making sure they're perfect since they have no margin for error in making mistakes. It would be awful if he took food from a kid and well you know, stuff happens. Under normal circumstances that would be shrugged off it was 'another' breed but not so with pitties. SHe needs to get in line now. As Christine said, with commands, they MUST be consistence. If you're saying "shu!!!" and someone else is say "no!!" then all he hears is different signals and that's confusing to a dog, let alone a young one. I'm going to assume that at the BBQ she was allowed to run around with the other dogs? She's only 10 months and can get into quite a bit of mischief and food on a table is so mouth watering tempting for any dog.

Here's my suggestions.

1. You MUST regain your position in the pack as #1, as does any other family member.
2. Leash train.
3. Walk past the objects of food as training methods. You can also put food outside and walk her by that. You can say "leave it" if she gravitates towards it and keep moving (do not stop at the food).
4. Use her kibble as a reward for every time she passing by the food without any resistance. Sounds oxy moron huh.
5. You bully has not learned to dumpster dive, lol, from your pitty. She's learned there's no boundary.
6. I personally am not opposed to a shock collar if used stricky for a training method. They can be very beneficial and a low setting a quick buzz is all they need to get their attention. If you do use one, make sure you follow up the buzz with visual hand command or a voice command. Need need for yelling either, just a stern voice. Yelling gets them nowhere.
7. I would also suggest a training glass. They're great to get the basics down for both dog and owner. I took one with all three of mine and the first one was a nice refresher for myself on things I forgot.
8. No Scooby snacks or her meals until she sits and waits to eat until you give the command. You can use a lot of "shuses" - those work great. My pitty Jack will not take anything until he has the ok. I really worked with him when he was young. I can hold food at his nose but he won't touch it. He looks away. And that's how it really should be.

One of the hardest parts of training is the dedication that it takes on our end and from the rest of the family.

Keep us updated and I wish you the best!!! Our pitties need us to be the #1. :up:

Last edited:

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Can you get him/her some kind of a puzzle/food toy? I know they will need retraining in the long run to avoid the behaviors but maybe something else to take the dogs mind off the trash/counters, etc...

Pretty sure I've seen the toys at the bigger petstores. Basically they have to roll and manipulate the toy to get the food to come out. Just a thought. Good luck with your pup!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
You've gotten some great advice here! I really like [MENTION=3756]MamaAndi[/MENTION] 's suggestion about engaging your pup's brain too. Increasing your walks (where you are the pack leader - not just trucking about the neighborhood) will continue to build and reinforce your leadership position and tire the dog out. A physically and mentally fullfilled dog is less likely to look for trouble to get into. At Casa Vicaroo, I am the undisputed pack leader and I claim areas and items that are uniquely mine. If you have not yet established pack leadership in your household, claiming things won't work. You'll just confuse the dog.

My Bo has developed a new fascination (ok, maybe obsession?) with grandma's newspaper. It arrives and hits the porch at o-dark-thirty and Bo cannot take his eyes off it. Is it a foreign interloper? Is it a desired chew toy? Is it a potential food source? Who knows but he will sit there, with his snoot poked out of the sliding glass door (it's open a bit in summer all the time) and sniff, sniff, sniff. When I go out to get this paper, he's all eager by the back door, sweating me to give it to him. I've NEVER given him a paper so I don't know what he would do with it if he got the damn thing. Anyway, I "claim" the paper and we're done. You'd think we wouldn't have to go thru this everyday -- but for a week or two, we sure did. LOL Even after I claimed it (as the pack leader, everything is mine you see) he would stare adoringly at it for a time as it sat on the kitchen table. He never jumped up there to get it tho - the table, countertops and the coffee table surface --- and all their contents ---- have been and always will be mine. I've claimed them too a long time ago. :yes:

Just getting your pup to not grab things off of a table is one thing. Establishing a genuine relationship as your dog's pack leader, requires far more than a down command. It's also a gazillion times more wonderful for human -- and dog.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
What about the coin can? Does she startle easily? Shaking a can of coins when caught in the act might discourage her from doing it. I know she's super sneaky....but it's worked for others. If not a coin can, pot lids. Good luck!

OP
Noyes27

Noyes27

Sep 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack
She could care less about noise. She hates the water bottle.but not as much as loves people food, garbage, or kitty litter. She will get into whatever and then run ince she gets the 3rd spritz. :mad:

OP
Noyes27

Noyes27

Sep 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack
You've gotten some great advice here! I really like [MENTION=3756]MamaAndi[/MENTION] 's suggestion about engaging your pup's brain too. Increasing your walks (where you are the pack leader - not just trucking about the neighborhood) will continue to build and reinforce your leadership position and tire the dog out. A physically and mentally fullfilled dog is less likely to look for trouble to get into. At Casa Vicaroo, I am the undisputed pack leader and I claim areas and items that are uniquely mine. If you have not yet established pack leadership in your household, claiming things won't work. You'll just confuse the dog.

My Bo has developed a new fascination (ok, maybe obsession?) with grandma's newspaper. It arrives and hits the porch at o-dark-thirty and Bo cannot take his eyes off it. Is it a foreign interloper? Is it a desired chew toy? Is it a potential food source? Who knows but he will sit there, with his snoot poked out of the sliding glass door (it's open a bit in summer all the time) and sniff, sniff, sniff. When I go out to get this paper, he's all eager by the back door, sweating me to give it to him. I've NEVER given him a paper so I don't know what he would do with it if he got the damn thing. Anyway, I "claim" the paper and we're done. You'd think we wouldn't have to go thru this everyday -- but for a week or two, we sure did. LOL Even after I claimed it (as the pack leader, everything is mine you see) he would stare adoringly at it for a time as it sat on the kitchen table. He never jumped up there to get it tho - the table, countertops and the coffee table surface --- and all their contents ---- have been and always will be mine. I've claimed them too a long time ago. :yes:

Just getting your pup to not grab things off of a table is one thing. Establishing a genuine relationship as your dog's pack leader, requires far more than a down command. It's also a gazillion times more wonderful for human -- and dog.

Lol this leads me to question HOW? how did you claim those spaces? She will approach until we say no, then she sulks away, but if we aren't there to say no she will certainly go for it.

My bf and I have been doing the leash thing, which was helping alot, but our **** roommate had not helped with the pack leader issue at all. Letting them in the couch when we aren't home etc. Sooo frustrating! Yeah I doubt the fur got there in thr exact shape of my dog by coincidence!:banghead:

Vicaroo1000

Jun 23, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=6215]Noyes27[/MENTION] - You are right; your roommate isn't helping at all with simplifying the house rules. LOL Here, grandma used to sneak my dogs treats off her dinner plate. This practice used to be off limits until Bo came along. It gives her -- and them -- so much joy that I let her do it. I just ask her to make them "work" for the treat with a high five or a shake or a sit. Too, they are only fed off our plates when we're done with dinner. No eye contact until then due to Bea's relentless "woofs" (to remind you she's sitting there waiting) and Bo's relentless drooling as he waits. Both are a very necessary compromise!

So claiming.... how to describe? First I would say that this takes patience. Dogs learn in THEIR TIME -- not ours. In the Dog Whisperer video "how to raise the perfect dog thru puppyhood and beyond" (easily found on YouTube), Cesar Millan addresses this with the EB, Mr. President. The puppy is playing with a stuffed squirrel and in establishing pack leadership with this pup, Mr. P has to learn that the toys are not HIS -- they are the pack leader's -- and the Pack Leader just lets Mr. P play with them. In the video, Cesar "takes" the toy from Mr. P by claiming it. This is a super simplified -- but you'll get the point! The most important part of that leadership exercise is PATIENCE. Especially with our stubborn, head strong EBs! Find and watch that video. I think every new puppy parent should watch it. Even if you are not a huge Cesar Millan fan -- as I clearly am --- it's a worthwhile 45 minutes!!!

Claiming stuff with your dogs requires that they KNOW you're the pack leader. The aforementioned is a leadership ritual. Leadership rituals happen throughout the day, every single day, for my dogs. It can be something as simple as waiting in a sit stay before the dinner plate is put down. Or something more difficult as waiting to go out the door AFTER the pack leader does --- even with a distraction on the other side -- like another dog or a friendly visitor. (Bo flunks this test MUCH of the time. LOL Clearly, we have more work to do!)

...and isn't that the joy of it? Building this relationship with your dog that's more than "here's my dog"? Here's my furry companion who respects me is more fulfilling, I think.

OP
Noyes27

Noyes27

Sep 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack
[MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] I already do all those thigs, bc I AM a HUGE cesae millan fan. Toys, food, bed, couch, claiming those thimgs are easy. How do I claim the counter especially from another room?

The leash thimg has been workimg so far, even if we aremt holdimg the other end...its almost like magic, I just wonder how long before she will just always be in that state of mind.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Excellent advice given, I also need to practice more of these skills! I say "me" rather than my bullies because I know where my faults lie!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Vicaroo1000

Jun 23, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] I already do all those thigs, bc I AM a HUGE cesae millan fan. Toys, food, bed, couch, claiming those thimgs are easy. How do I claim the counter especially from another room?

The leash thimg has been workimg so far, even if we aremt holdimg the other end...its almost like magic, I just wonder how long before she will just always be in that state of mind.

If you have claimed the counter tops and the garbage can, and your pup is still helping himself to those things, I would say that you have not claimed them as yours. If everything you "own" truly belongs to the pack leader, then there's a question in your dog's mind about who's the real pack leader. :yes: I'm no expert believe me. I also know that whatever drives a dog to do what he's not supposed to do, there are certainly times when fear/anxiety/or ??? trumps "pack leader".

Case in point: Bo's ear medication.

He almost broke my wrist this morning, trying to drag me with him under the bed to avoid getting a dose of the stuff. OK, I should have LET GO when he went running under there at full speed --- LOL but still. That medicine must feel so weird, it trumps all reason. No cookie or high value treat is enough to allow me to put the stuff into his ear. Nothing. Today, I'm going to call the vet and see if there's a shot he can give him. I don't know what else to do! His ear is still bothering him and left unattended, it will only get worse!

Attachments

• OUCH.jpg
    OUCH.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 106

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.