MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
Morning All..
My sister has recently been looking after her in-laws dog while they are on holiday male nearly 3yr old St Bernard.
I went up to visit and have serious concerns about this poor boys health

1st thing that alarmed me was that he is shut under the stairs the majority of the day/night and he barely has space to turn around properly under there. I brushed it off as being similar to crate training
We broke all the rules and he had the run of the house with Meeko and my sisters husky & yorkshire terrior and he was so well behaved he just lays down and doesnt bother anybody or anything. The inlaws excuse for him being locked under the stairs is because of his furr and slobber making a mess!

I then found out a lot more things i think of as neglect.. this poor boy has been on a walk ONCE in his life and because he barked at strange people he has never been walked since - his collar & leash were still on the size from when he was a puppy so they dont even attempt to walk him.
He still has his due claws (I think thats what theyr called) which I thought was compulsary in st bernards to have removed as its bad for them?! Any ideas?

I noticed he looks very skinny and asked what hes being fed and to my horror I found out he has just 1 SMALL tin of dog meat a day with a half pint size cup of dry biscuits mixed in.. and that is it!!! Nothing else at alll
Since my sister has been looking after him she has been giving him 2 meat tins a day and about 3/4 scoops of biscuits and he eats it well.
The poor boy eats a lot less than Meeko.
I dont know what to do my sister obviously doesnt want to phone the RSPCA about him as theyr her inlaws but she doesnt want to leave him the way he is - he has no life, no training and no freedom or love.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
These folks don't deserve to have a dog.

They aren't YOUR in laws. You call RSPCA.

L

Lucy-licious

I was just going to say the same as Vic....obviously your sister doesnt want to cause a family feud but they are not your inlaws.
You can phone the RSPCA and I am sure they will keep your details annonymous.

The RSPCA will ensure he is looked after properly...they will make every effort to re-train the owners and make regular visits to ensure his homelife is improving. But if they sence that its not they will remove him for rehoming.

Maybe your sister could broach the subject with them that what they are doing is not fair to such a large dog and that maybe they should look at rehoming him with someone who can manage him better. If she does it in a sympathetic manner rather than acusatory it could have possitive impact for him. It may be that they just cant cope with such a large dog but dont really know what to do about it.

Maybe you could give them the number for The St Bernard Trust...no profit making St Bernard Rescue organisation.... It is in Birmingham but maybe they could help if a rehome is needed.
Co-ordinator - Jane Brennan 0121 445 2965
or email:
[email protected]

OP
MeekosMummy

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
Can I definately remain anonymous?

The rspca have been called there before a few years ago they used to have a female st bernard and bred her and kept 2 of the puppys. When they grew older they had 3 fully grown st bernards in the house and they used to bark all day everyday as the owners were both at work. They had to rehome the 2 pups and about a year after the female st bernard became ill and passed away.. they then got this male st bernard a few days later and to be truthful I think they regret it and got him for the wrong reasons.
If I can remain anonymous they wouldnt know it was me they would assume it was the neighbours as they are who complained before

FORDE'SMOM

Jun 17, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Forde
Why do people want pets but not feel they have to provide adequate care for them? This really bugs me!

L

Lucy-licious

Can I definately remain anonymous?

The rspca have been called there before a few years ago they used to have a female st bernard and bred her and kept 2 of the puppys. When they grew older they had 3 fully grown st bernards in the house and they used to bark all day everyday as the owners were both at work. They had to rehome the 2 pups and about a year after the female st bernard became ill and passed away.. they then got this male st bernard a few days later and to be truthful I think they regret it and got him for the wrong reasons.
If I can remain anonymous they wouldnt know it was me they would assume it was the neighbours as they are who complained before

I dont usually Copy n Paste but this is straight from the RSPCA frequent questions site :D

If you are concerned about the ill treatment of an animal, please ring our 24-hour cruelty and advice line 0300 1234 999. The RSPCA treats all reports in the strictest confidence.
We will ask you for the following information:

• your name and address (you may remain anonymous, but it helps us greatly if you can provide your details - these will not be disclosed to anyone outside the RSPCA)
  • the name and address of the owner or keeper of the animal
  • the animal's location
  • a description of the animal
  • a description of the animal's circumstances and / ill treatment.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
You can always as some one else to call... give them the inof and don't give your name.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
That's very heart breaking. Calling RSPCA would be the best thing for this St.Bernard pooch. Doesn't sound like he gets much love or attention at all from his owners.
This reminded me of a German Shephard who was surrendered to a shelter b/c he "slobbered" his water while he drank and the owners just couldn't take that anymore. It's just so disgraceful and makes my blood boil when I hear stuff like this. Thanks for looking out for this St.Bernard, [MENTION=6330]MeekosMummy[/MENTION].

Kross225

Dec 4, 2012
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Luca Brasi
An anonymous phone call can go a long way, Tasha. If it improves the dog's quality of life (and it sounds like it desperately needs improving) then to hell with the in laws. I wanna get myself a passport and jump on a plane right now so that I could have a chat with the in laws.

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
I had a St. Bernard when I was young and they are every bit as loveable and protective as any Bulldog ours wouldn't let anything hurt me including snakes ours got bitten a time or two killing one because I got to close loved that dog with all my heart and someone poisoned him because he wouldn't let someone steal from us.

Love has a name and its name is Sheldon!!!<3

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Wow, poor baby sounds VERY neglected. :( do they even WANT him? Maybe if you offered a better alternative they would offer him up? Like say how much you love him and wish you could snatch him up. My hubby had a st. Back when we were young and dating and he was the SWEETEST soul of a pup you could meet. Very gentle. I can't remember about the do claws,if they were clipped or not.

Vicaroo1000

Jun 23, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
An anonymous phone call can go a long way, Tasha. If it improves the dog's quality of life (and it sounds like it desperately needs improving) then to hell with the in laws. I wanna get myself a passport and jump on a plane right now so that I could have a chat with the in laws.

I'll buy the seat next to yours.

The fact that these morons have already had a run in with the RSPCA demands action.

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
I'll buy the seat next to yours.

The fact that these morons have already had a run in with the RSPCA demands action.

On your way pick me up wouldn't that throw them everyone showing up all at once!

Love has a name and its name is Sheldon!!!<3

agingermom

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama
Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
Im in for the ride! I love st bernards and their devotion to their family.

Vicaroo1000

Jun 23, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=6330]MeekosMummy[/MENTION] - have the authorities wrestled that poor, sick dog out of the clutches of these abhorrent abusers yet?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.