Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
We WERE feeding him Max cat dry food and once a day wet Wellness cat food. (which is grain free) the vet gave us some Royal Canin to feed to him it's a high calorie food. We never feed him fish flavored food, makes there poop stink worse. The vet says he will never be able to eat dry food again. He has two water dishes at this time we did have one of those fountains, we got from a garage sale but it made a lot of noise, so I took it down. I should get a nice one made of stainless steel. I will try the Aloe juice, will go to the the natural food store and get it in the morning. Thanks for the tips. We are trying everything we can right now.

Good for you! I feed CoCo the Wellness canned food, you could lightly boil chicken liver
(heat destroys enzymes), mince up and add to canned food, also try minced, very soft
boiled egg (never scrambled, destroys nutrients), seems as if that would add calories &
nutrients. Will PM great source of enzymes-helps w/gut health & digestion= no constipation!

OP
mendomama

mendomama

Aug 28, 2011
Mendocino, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Uni & Boadie
Lactulose is good! Have they checked for mega colon? If he gets too dehydrated you may have to have the vet show you how to give sub q fluids. Hang in there, you will get better at expressing the bladder.

He does have mega colon. Right now the vet was not concerned with dehydration, because they gave him so much fluids when he was in there care, but that was two days go now. What is sub Q fluids?

Good for you! I feed CoCo the Wellness canned food, you could lightly boil chicken liver
(heat destroys enzymes), mince up and add to canned food, also try minced, very soft
boiled egg (never scrambled, destroys nutrients), seems as if that would add calories &
nutrients. Will PM great source of enzymes-helps w/gut health & digestion= no constipation!

I can do this liver and egg mixture while syringe feeding? Wont this cause the syringe to get clogged or Woo to have a harder time swallowing it. He already fights us and spits out the food a lot of the time.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
He does have mega colon. Right now the vet was not concerned with dehydration, because they gave him so much fluids when he was in there care, but that was two days go now. What is sub Q fluids?

I can do this liver and egg mixture while syringe feeding? Wont this cause the syringe to get clogged or Woo to have a harder time swallowing it. He already fights us and spits out the food a lot of the time.[/QUOTE

No, this would be AFTERWARDS when Woo has recovered and is eating normally again.
Researching his constipation, I found that some had tried everything (prior to surgery)
and what had worked for them was giving a probiotic (you can give this to him now).

Slippery elm worked next best but the probiotics got the fecal mass to dislodge and
eliminate. All can be bought at your local health stores.

Was reccd to NOT USE clumping litter (or clay) as this hardens in their intestines if
it sticks to their hair and when cleaning, they ingest it.

Best wishes and let us know how Woo is doing. Carol

OP
mendomama

mendomama

Aug 28, 2011
Mendocino, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Uni & Boadie
Thanks Carol. We took Woo back in to the vet this morning. He had gone pee a small amount but still no poop. :( And not eating. He did however take a small drink of water. They x-rayed again and sad that the stool is loosening and has moved a bit. They were able to get a small amount free and out with an enema. They said that it was rock hard! Poor baby. They put in a catheter and want to keep him there for a couple of days. To see if this will release the pressure on his bowels, and he can move the rest. We are just hoping this will work for him. He is not a happy camper :( I will talk to the vet about giving him probiotics in the morning.

And No we don't use clay litter. Pine litter for years now.

I will keep you posted. Thanks you so much!

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I am late to this but I had an older kitty in a similar predicament.

There is a gel you can buy at many natural (and probably regular) pet food stores which is a high calorie supplement for sick or nursing cats. It's supposed to taste really good to cats but I had a hard time feeding it to him. I usually coated some of his food with it.

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky

I can do this liver and egg mixture while syringe feeding? Wont this cause the syringe to get clogged or Woo to have a harder time swallowing it. He already fights us and spits out the food a lot of the time.

Sub Q fluids r like an iv for a human!! You administer it into the third spacing usually between the shoulder blades!! The spot blows up like a balloon n they look like they r a camel until its absorbed!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.