New family member

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
So, I've been busy these past few weeks. We've adopted a beautiful girl we've named Athena. The hospital staff named her Ebony :barf:. I thought she needed a name with more class and pizazz so we renamed her.

She is a 7 month old great dane/greyhound mix (we think) and extremely underweight, you can see every bone in this poor girls body :*( They originally thought she was 1 or 2 years old but during her spay the doctor said that she had never gone into a heat cycle so he placed her at much younger. Can they even tell that during surgery?

I'd been thinking about adding another bully to our family but after Abby I'm a little afraid. I've never experienced the kind of bond with an animal like I had with my sweetie head. I'm afraid bringing another bully home for keeps might feel like I'm replacing her or something. I know it's weird, I can't really explain it. The feeling doesn't seem to apply to fosters but for some reason the thought of keeping one forever makes me feel guilty. But then I heard Athena's story and it broke my heart.

The officer who brought her to my vet told them that he'd gone to a house to padlock the door for the bank (foreclosure) and found her living alone there. Whoever owned her packed up, moved and left her behind. :bitching: I can't imagine the fear she must've felt being loved one day and completely alone and afraid the next. We have no idea how long she was there for. She was bone thin and severely dehydrated. The neighbors said she never barked, they didn't even know she was there :(

So, after getting her re-hydrated, spayed and on track for recovery, knowing that she needed love and fattening up my vet contacted me and here she is. The redhead is calling her his birthday present. Otis loves her. They both have a sparkle in their eyes that I haven't seen in months.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
CONGRATS!!! Best of luck with her --- her and Otis seem to have already fell in love with each other. You'll be riding her in no time -- she is gonna be BIG!!

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Athena and Otis are so good for each other. I love the way they play together! I know exactly what you mean about having a special bond with a dog and not being able to replace that dog. My Jake, a rescue German Shepherd, could not and has never been replaced. It has been 20 years!

lapforbulldogs

Jan 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Raisin and Churchill
I lost a Frenchie to lympoma about 5 years ago. Isabelle and I had an amazing connection. She was my baby. It took me a very long time to stop crying. I still do it to this day. We got a little Frenchie two years ago, and she is my buddy. Is it the amazing connection I had with Izzy? No it isn't, but I love her. Get a bulldog of a different color and sex. That way you will not feel like you are replacing her. I won't say that I know how you feel, because I don't. I can only use my experience to help you. Good luck with your rescue, I think she is adorable. It sounds like she is fitting right in with your family.:clap2:

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Congrats! What a sad story but so happy to hear the happy ending!!! What a pretty girl!! I have always had a soft spot for greyhounds, we had one growing up that was a retired racer and she was just the best dog. She was super loving, low key, low maintenance, didn't bark, just an awesome dog.

Gunny B

Jul 19, 2012
Marysville, Wa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny Beaufort & Denali (Boxer)
Her heat cycle may have been delayed due to lack of nutrition. She is gorgeous. Congrats!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Congrats! I can't see the video for some reason, but sounds like she is just where she needs to be!

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
Congratulations on the new addition. I have rescued Great Danes for years and they are extremely loyal and committed to their humans. Athena is a nice strong name and she will grow fast. They love to surf tables and counter tops and they can reach the tops of refrigerators quit easily, lol. Most of mine lived well past 10 years and my old girl is 13. The ones that came to me underweight, I usually added eggs, rice, and a little oil to their food but at first their stomachs can be sensitive so there may be a little trail and error for just a bit. They love to adopt the sofa too, I got mine an orthopedic bed. lol it is almost a full size matress but first choice is always the sofa. Good luck and cannot wait to see pictures of your new pony. Awesome!!!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Aww they are so cute and sweet together. What a beautiful girl Athena is, she is a lucky girl to have found you. She will definitely, thrive and grow with your care and love. She can never replace your sweet Abby, as she is always going to be a part of your life and you will forever carry a piece of her in your heart, but at the same time there is always a capacity for us to continue to love even after losing a loved one. You can never replace Abby, but you can love and make a difference in Athena's life, and you will both heal from that.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Oh look at those two, such a playful duo! You've got such a big heart Bev, and the redhead is funny. :)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
She is a beauty, and they were having a blast. You can tell she is full of pup still. It does my heart good to see her so happy and now she has a family that will not leave her behind again. Bless you Bev for taking that pretty girl in, and showing her the love she deserves. :2thumbs:

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Bev, she is a beauty, I am so happy for all of you. Otis is going to have his hands full keeping up with those long legs. This just made me smile ear to ear. :drawheart:

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
What is it with people do to that. Several dogs have died due to people doing just this. I'm so so glad the officer found her. Otis may have found his true love like Jack has with Emma. :luv:

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Thanx for sharing the video... that was darling. :luv:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.