Nervous!

Tkelley

Oct 15, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Guinevere, Little Be
I took my Babie into the vet this morning. She hasn't been feeling well for a while. When we went to the vet a week and a half ago they told me antibiotics for two weeks and set the appointment for today. She is getting her teeth cleaned and she has some type of growth in her mouth, but they had to clear the infection up first. I'm so nervous waiting to hear about the surgery and what the vet thinks should happen next. She'll be 11 on 3/6, so she's getting up there in age. I hate this waiting game. I originally wrote this long post and then got distracted by a phone call, so the post timed out :(

I'll condense my thoughts and just say that as much as our pets depend on us for a happy healthy life, we depend on them for the same. It's amazing how much love we feel for them. My big dog has been through so much with me over the last eleven years. I'm not ready to make any hard decisions and I'm really hoping that it turns out to just be an infection from an abcess. It's killing me to wait. My ex had to put her sister down last year due to inoperable cancer, it's really hard to push the worse case scenario out of my head. She's lost so much weight this year and I've been so worried. We had the full workup done in November and all of her blood tests came back normal. Then she stopped eating anything crunchy the day after Christmas. More weight loss... She was almost 67 lbs last May, down to 59 lbs as of two weeks ago. So, I sit here and wait and can't stop crying... I just need a happy thought from some fellow dog lovers! x-09.jpgWP_001035.jpgWP_000897.jpgbWP_000887.jpg My big girl's favorite thing to do is lizard watch. She could sit in front of the window for hours and watch the lizard on the wall :) lizard!.jpg B and her sister (litter mates!) Kyla 2004_0815Image0043.jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hugs and prayers to you and Babie --- so hope she is OK.

:hug:

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
I am sorry to hear you are going through such a tough time with your old best friend. We are going through a simular experience right now with our oldest Great Dane; she is 13 and has been around the world with me during my military career (she went with me on change of duty stations and deployments) and has been going down hill for about a year now. We had to make a few changes for her because she is just getting too old; we no longer give her anything she has to work to chew and she cannot play for longer than 5 minutes and sleeps most if not all day. She isn't in any pain but her last vet visit indicated she is lighter than she has ever been her whole life. It is hard but we made the decision to let her live out her life and be as comfortable as possible unless she is in pain. She is too old for the vets to do anything for her and tests and what not only run the bills up and stress her out, we are just grateful for the time we have had with her and the time we have left. I am not sure if I have helped; we have prepared ourselves as best as we can for the day when she transitions to rainbow bridge. It is never easy to let them go but when they do show signs of pain or get to the point of major decline then they rely on us to make the right decision for them. Good luck and we are here for you.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Awwww... what a sweetie..... that lizzard watching is strenuous work... prolly needed a good nap after that!! ;)

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I understand how you feel, it's so rough watching our furbabies age. It's just not fair that they live such short lives compared to us. But like you said, it can be just something simple like an infected abcess. I know my stepdad's dog had an abcess in her mouth that came back several times and it was never life threatening. Seems like they get more lumps and bumps as they get older, often that don't have a negative impact on their health. I'll be thinking of you and praying for you both. This post made me cry because it really is amazing how attached we get to our pets and just the idea of them not being with us, not matter how far away it may be is really difficult.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=6418]Tkelley[/MENTION] We will keep Babie girl in our thoughts and hope it is just an abscess, and the antibiotics will help. Please keep us posted on her progress.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I can hear your worry in the words you type.... sending a :hug: and know that whatever the future holds you have been blessed to have her in your life. Hopefully the meds work and she starts feeling better. You will know when the time is right, your heart will tell you.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
They make is so easy to love them! We tend to love them with everything we have and even then, we love them more.
Now lizard watching seems like it would be an Orion sport. She loves to watch things move around. Has she ever gotten a hold of a lizard?

L

Lucy-licious

:hugs: for you both and praying its nothing more than a bad toothache and an abcess :hug:

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Oh big hugs to you and your Babie. Whatever the future holds, we're all confident that she's grateful and happy to have such a wonderful momma. Life can't get much better than getting unconditional love. :hug: :heart:

Praying that everything will turn out ok. :pray:

OP
Tkelley

Tkelley

Oct 15, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Guinevere, Little Be
Thank you everyone. I appreciate all your kind words and thoughts. I got the call from the vet a little bit ago. She has a tumor in the back of her mouth that is in a very difficult place to work with. They are unable to remove it. They are going to do a biopsy and send her home with some pain meds. We will find out the results in 3-5 days and have to decide what is best. My heart is breaking right now.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
So sorry you and your baby, I hope it turns out to be an abscess, and everything turns out okay. It's so hard when our pets age or get sick, and we have to watch them decline, they give us such comfort and unconditional love. You are doing everything you can to help her and make her comfortable, and when the time comes, you will know what to do and make the right decision for what's best for her , as hard as that will be. Good job Mama, and I hope Lady G gets well soon.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.