Excited, New Foster Dog Coming Soon!

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
We just agreed to take on a foster in a couple weeks. She's a 3 year old Great Dane. We've never fostered a dane before...can't wait to meet her! She needs to gain some weight from what I understand and as a pup she had hypertrophic osteodystrophy and parvo (the combination of those conditions when she was a baby left her having trouble keeping weight on in her adult life).

Anybody have currently or have owned a dane in the past? Any good suggestions. She will be here in about two weeks so I'm getting ready. :heart:

luseaann

Oct 3, 2011
Long Island, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Liz and Amy
I've never had a great dane, but we used to have one visit (uninvited) every week to play with my kids. He was such a big baby. We just loved him! Good luck!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
never had one, but been around them at daycare... loving and goofy. also, bulldogs seem to gravitate to them. Banks LOVED them at daycare and our breeder also breed and showed Danes when we got Banks.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
How exciting! I've only met one in real life he was at a daycare my son Noah used to go to. He was a big ball of love. He hung out with the kids all day and they were all little ones he was a gentle giant. We definitely going to need to see pictures!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Dear friends of my ex-wife had a beloved Great Date named Zeus. He was enormous and they had two couches in their living room; one for Zeus and one for everyone else. He was a low energy, couch potato - so sweet and everyone loved that boy. He lived to a ripe old age of 12 and they had to hire a back hoe to put him in his forever resting place in their garden.

If I didn't love EBs and Mastiffs so much, my next choice would be a Harlequin Great Dane. They are so majestic!!!!

CONGRATS! I look forward to hearing about your exploits with this sweet girl.

OP
MamaAndi

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I will for sure post pics when she comes. I can't wait to see what Tank thinks about having a giant new girlfriend! LOL They are literally the same age (3). They were born 3 days apart in November...I thought that was a neat coincidence.

M

mabel lou

My big brother owned 3 all at the same time. He loved them and kept them from babies on up until they each one passed away. They have kind of same issues as EBD with allergies or at least his did and especially his white one" Glory Hallelujah" had the pink skin from some type of allergy. All 3 were lazy to lol but very easy to care for. My brother said they were so big that they always knocked over things in the house and if food was left on the counter they would just walk up and simply take it as though it were put out for them hahaha. Great animals I remember. He would cook home cooked meals for them due to allergy issues.

OP
MamaAndi

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Well she's here now and not quite what I thought she would be....but the fosters rarely are I guess. There is usually some issues that we have to work through which is precisely why they get fostered. She is quite underweight...bones protruding in hips, spine, ribs and even the bone in her tail.
At this point she doesn't like Tank and really doesn't like Stellla. She has barked at me and one of my daughters....yeesh. So for now we are playing the alternating dog game until she gets used to the sounds, smells, etc...of this house. We have adopted the "ignoring" her strategy. We pretend like she isn't there and she is slowly warming up to the idea of being around us I think.

Here's to the work ahead! LOL

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Well she's here now and not quite what I thought she would be....but the fosters rarely are I guess. There is usually some issues that we have to work through which is precisely why they get fostered. She is quite underweight...bones protruding in hips, spine, ribs and even the bone in her tail.
At this point she doesn't like Tank and really doesn't like Stellla. She has barked at me and one of my daughters....yeesh. So for now we are playing the alternating dog game until she gets used to the sounds, smells, etc...of this house. We have adopted the "ignoring" her strategy. We pretend like she isn't there and she is slowly warming up to the idea of being around us I think.

Here's to the work ahead! LOL

Good luck.... hugs and prayers for a smooth road ahead! keep us posted

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh how wonderful that you are doing this. i know you will get her straightened out. :2thumbs:

OP
MamaAndi

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
This is how skinny she is

Jade013_zps83e6a125.jpg

She is taking baby steps with the other dogs. Tank ran into her crate and she followed behind him....they were in there for a few seconds then Tank made a snuffling noise and scared her so she started barking at him. Lol

DesertBum

Sep 11, 2012
Tucson, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Xena
She will be a good looking doggie when she gets some meat on those bones. I'm sure after a while all of your kids will become great friends. :)

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Oh she is a beauty with her all black coat! Thanks for helping her and giving her love she probably never had before

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online