So excited!

PeterPanAndWendy

Jul 27, 2011
Lindsey, Ohio, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pan Cake
In April we decided to buy a few ducks as pets, we had originally only wanted four, but ended up with seven. I have been tending to them ever since. Pete said "You can have them, but you have to take care of them." So I have been... Well over the last couple of weeks I've had to endure witnessing my drakes taking advantage of my hens, what seems to be somewhat rough behavior, lol. Well tonight I went in to do my nightly rounds, feeding, watering, and general cleanup.... And what did I find.... Two eggs, our very first! I'm so proud and excited! Now we don't want anymore ducks, so I have to make the hard decision on what to do with the eggs... I'm such a bleeding heart sometimes... Eggs from the store, yep, crack open and enjoy, my maybe baby eggs, I'm having a hard time... Sigh... Lol. But I'm so proud my little babies are all grown up!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Duck eggs are wonderful in cakes. Rich. Goose eggs even more so.

I know. Just try not to think about what it is in that shell. I have to block it from my mind everytime I order my favorite "Farmer's Market" omelette at the Mukilteo Cafe.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
That is just so neat! I don't know about eating them. I don't think I could do it.

OP
PeterPanAndWendy

PeterPanAndWendy

Jul 27, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Pan Cake
I hear they are better than chicken eggs! They have a richer taste and bigger yokes. Time will tell... Lol.

But I've raised them since they were babies... Days old... Now I'm gonna eat what could have been their babies... :eek:

I think it will be easier now, I've got them all washed up and sitting in an egg carton in the fridge... Lol

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Thanx for the grin this morning.... I was raised in the country and I know my mom raised ducks and geese on our little farmette. Eating the eggs is a natural event to me so I got a giggle out of your dilemma.. ;)

Taylor

Jul 10, 2012
Pittsburgh
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Charlotte Elizabeth
there's a good chance the eggs are infertile, if you left them they would just rot anyway...maybe that will help your decision :)

Gunny B

Jul 19, 2012
Marysville, Wa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny Beaufort & Denali (Boxer)
Duck eggs are wonderful in cakes. Rich. Goose eggs even more so.

I know. Just try not to think about what it is in that shell. I have to block it from my mind everytime I order my favorite "Farmer's Market" omelette at the Mukilteo Cafe.

I love the Mukilteo Cafe.

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
Let us know how it goes! I think it would be hard for me too! In your first post you put my "maybe baby eggs" so that shows emotional attachment and I thought that was kinds funny! I hope you break them open and enjoy and lets hope you get a lot of good eggs to eat in the future!

OP
PeterPanAndWendy

PeterPanAndWendy

Jul 27, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Pan Cake
Well I walked in their inside enclosure this morning... and two more eggs!
Holy Moly!
I called Pete, and he said crack them open!
AAAWWWWEEE!!!!!

To make it worse, I think the ducks KNOW I took their eggs. I started walking back to the house and one walked in and walked out and started quacking to the other ducks! I feel like the dingo that took the baby!

Oh, why do I put myself in these situations.... LOL

I think I'm gonna pass them off to people I know who can't afford groceries... they can have it on their conscious!

I know, they're ducks, but they're my babies! :wallbang: Why does Pete have to be gone! He doesn't have nearly the guilt that I have about these things...

I guess that's what you get when you put a city girl in the country and let her have barn yard animals as pets!

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Put the drake (s) in a separate enclosure....separated means no hanky panky and no hanky panky means no fertilization of the eggs....so then you can just look at them as gifts from your hens. Because they will still lay plenty.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.