Terrible Decision - Need advise. Sorry so long....

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
Aside from Jack, I also have Bandit. He is a Beagle - Basset Hound - Dachsund mix that I rescued over 12 years ago. At that time, I was told he was about 4 years old.So Im guessing this ol' fella today is at least 15-16 years old.... For the last 3 years or so, he's had terrible skin psoriasis, as well as swollen legs and loss of hair on his belly & legs.. We had changed his food to grain free and it became better but not near normal ... He has gone to the vet which prescribed an antibiotic which seemed to alleviate all the symptoms but after a month of being off the antibiotocs, the symptoms returned with a vengeance.He doesnt seem to be in pain but I know he is not comfortable. I bathe him once a week with Hydrocortisone shampoo which alleviates him for that day. The next day he is back to super dry and scaley skin... The sad part is this. He is just so terribly smelly (this is putting it mildly) that I am forced to keep him in our Backyard patio. It is a covered patio with ceiling fans so he is cool during the afteroon. He has his bed there where he sleeps most of the day when not sun bathing on the wood deck. However, we feel terrible having to do this...I'm guessing his condition is mainly attributed to his age & immune system just being so weak that most anything is causing this condition to manifest itself.So what should I do..? My wife looks at me.... and we don't ever talk about it ...but I know that the way she looks at me she's telling me that we should consider putting him to sleep. I dont think I could ever do that. The ideal way for Bandit to pass on would be in his sleep. But they way this ol' fella is going, it looks like he's gonna outlive ME.! He eats well, drinks well, Pees & Poops daily. Its just the quality of life that Im giving him is really putting me down... I feel terrible.

This is Bandit (in Purple) during happier days.....
Bandit.JPG

Last edited:

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Of course no one is going to be able to tell you what would be best for Bandit and/or your family. Have you tried asking the vet for a shampoo recommendation. Or tried some of the ones for humans with scalp problems. I really dont know what to say other than my heart goes out to you and your family... this has to be just a horrible situation for you all.

malaviKat

Jun 15, 2011
Toronto
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
Poor little guy. That is very tough... I cannot imagine what you (not to mention he) must be going through. One thing you might look at is the Earthbath line of products. They have a range of shampoos (and a conditioner) designed to soothe minor skin irritation and spritzes you can use day to day to keep them smelling fresh and/or help soothe the skin when it isn't time for a bath. They're very mild and contain human-grade ingredients so, should you want to bathe in it yourself, you can. :)

P.S. You obviously know your wife better than we do, but if you don't talk about it, you can't know (for certain) what she wants you to do. Maybe his situation is equally distressing for her too.

Best of luck to you and your fam! Hope something works out for Bandit!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I'm with Bruce ...having had a lifetime of Dogs and cats...ànd living through many life stages, there is no way we can help with this decision. We had a huge Dobie live 15 years..and her last few years we were convinced "this would be Zoe's last Christmas. She had incontinence problems and lived on Rimadyl. She would poop in her sleep and wake us up to the wonderful aroma of THAT! She didn't get to do everything the younger dogs did...but she was happy. I think if it were me..I'd talk to the vet about ome sort of long term antibiotic treatment..if that worked..then there must be an underlying infection. I'd realize..his life might seem sad to you..but if he's not in pain and not suffering, I'd do the best I could and let him tell you when it's time. Have you thought about a dermatologist ? It might be something so simple...and a second opinion might help. I feel the sadness in your post..and no matter what this outcome is..it's obvious how much he is loved.

L

Lucy-licious

Oh my heart is breaking for you and your situation....I would ask the vet if he can recommend any shampoos that would be gentle enough for his skin but also fragranced. :hug:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I am wondering if steroids in a small amount would help? Not sure if it would help this condition just throwing it out there....

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

roanne9145

Apr 11, 2010
Palmyra New York
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Apple, Grudge, Chisel and Rukus
Although it is quite difficult to recognize a particular source of food allergies, you can handle this problem yourself. Put your dog on a diet that consists only of ingredients that your dog has never eaten before - it can be rabbit meat, or turkey. Keep your dog on this diet (with no additives) for one month. If the symptoms of food allergy disappear, then your dog has a food allergy. To make sure you know what ingredient caused the food allergy, expand your dog diet by adding one ingredient at a time. Let your dog to stay on that modified diet with one added ingredient for a month before you add another ingredient. Also look for ways to naturally boost the immune system. There are tons of natural ways to do this. I pray you find the right answer to his problems......Don't give up on him yet till you try limiting the ingredients in his diet. Good luck!

Taylor

Jul 10, 2012
Pittsburgh
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Charlotte Elizabeth
I think you'll know when it's time. Has the vet said he's okay? As gross as this is, the smell could be his skin rotting if he's got an infection of some sort. I would try regular bathing and see how that works out.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I agree with [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] ... seek an opinion from a skin doctor if you haven't already

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
im with the skin dr to or at least get some malaket shampoo and try it and maybe a probiotic and a vitamin maybe also. he seems fine other than this problem and if antibiotics cleared it up then it seems its something that can be fixed. hugs to you dear for having to make this decision :hug:

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
What a difficult position you are in, I know from my own personal experience with Psoriasis, there are times that I have to go on steroids when I have a major outbreak, I have a steroid cream that I put on just the spots that I have. I do know that UV light helps to heal mine (not heal but manage), maybe getting some extra sun would help??

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I would start at the dermatologist. They will be able to come up with something that will help. If he isn't in any pain, the only sadness in his life is having to live on the porch. I am not judging!! It seems that both of you are really torn up about this and my heart goes out to all three of you. I just tend to think that if it cleared before, it could be cleared again and then managed with the proper care. He is so sweet! I love a good "Bagel" (basset/beagle). Keep us posted on how it goes.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
My heart goes out to you guys too. I don't have any advice really but deep down if you know it's time then it's time. I was faced with this decision last year with Ace and it tore my up inside. I agree with the others and maybe see a dermatologist. Could really help. She is getting up there so be prepared for that decision should you and your wife need to make it. :angelheart:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.