Lucy

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
“Lucy”

In the fall of 1995, When my 5 year old daughter’s gorgeous, new little blue-eyed Himalayan kitten was stolen, I set out to find her another kitten to mend her broken heart. My goal was to locate the most homely kitten in the universe and take it home so that no one would steal my baby’s new friend. My search, in what seemed to be a kitten-less world at the time, led me to the backwoods of Elbe, Washington to a litter of truly, the ugliest kittens I’d ever seen. “Perfect”, I thought, and I scooped up the scrawniest grey female, deciding that it looked more like a little bat than a kitten. We named her “Lucy”. I took great delight in saying (in my worst Cuban accent), “Luuucy, you got some ‘splainin’ to do!”, (Ricky Ricardo style) anytime there was kitten shenanigans afoot.

My daughter, an only child, found a sibling is Lucy who delighted in the company of a girl who loved her more than anything. She grew up to be a gorgeous little cat with the sweetest disposition and a tummy the color of pumpkin. My daughter and Lucy grew up together and they were inseparable. As a child, Rhiannon rolled the cat around in a little toy shopping cart, Lucy dressed in doll clothes, snuggled into a pile of doll blankets, purring away like it was the best possible thing she could be doing. Lucy was there for her through it all; grade school middle school and the first year of high school. When “her girl” went off to finish high school in California, she cried for her, truly mourning her absence and looking for her everywhere. When our traveling student came home for a visit, she was always blissfully purring; the girl’s long absence forgiven. It was always Rhiannon she wanted. It was always Rhiannon she liked best. The rest of us, she tolerated. Even with her health declining in the last few months, she never missed an opportunity to hiss at the other animals in the house.

Lucy promised me that she wouldn’t leave us until Rhiannon graduated from college. She did exactly that. Rest now, my tiny, sweet Lil’ Lucy. You were the best little cat in the world for the very best little girl in the world.

~ Love, Mama lucy1.jpg

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:hug: Oh no...another precious baby has gone to the bridge. Vic..this is a great story..and having been owned by many cats, I so appreciate her character. I'm very sorry that she has gone on..but I'm certain you wouldn't trade this sadness for all Lucy gave you and your wonderful daughter, over the years.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
My heart goes out to you! Your story was absolutely beautiful, as I wipe the tears from my eyes. You gave her a wonderful home and a wonderful life. She gave your daughter her forever love, in return. Blessings and Hugs!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Oh dear my friend I'm sorry to hear this. I'm glad Lucy got to be with you n her for all these years as I know she was well taken care of. :hug: I'm here dear if you need me

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Vic you have the most amazing way with words, this memorial to Lucy was so beautiful and even had parts that made you smile through the sadness. You should be a writer. RIP Lucy xxoo

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I am just so sorry for your loss ... and I started to read I was already in tears at the first sentence. There are no words that can comfort you but know that your loss is shared by all of those who read this.

Give Rhiannon a big hug from me .....

OP
Vicaroo1000

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Thank you. It helped to share her story yesterday. I've not told my daughter yet. I chickened out when we spoke on the phone finally last night. Today, I guess. Or maybe I will wait until her urn comes back from the cremation place.... I know. I can't wait that long - but I sure want to. She's going to be pretty devastated.....

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
That was a very sweet sentiment for a beautiful cat and I'm sure she's up at the bridge now with all the other beloved departed pets

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
As the momma to three indoor cats I know what it is to love and be loved by cats. Each cat brings something different to the table. I've got a Tortie who exclusively loves only me and won't let other cats near me making me feel priviledged that this shy cat chooses me to be her only human. Then there's my tuxedo cat who is so sweet, innocent, trusting and loves to snuggle and get baby kisses and I think she will be kitten-like for her whole life. Then there is Daisy my Tabbie with her beautiful green eyes and cinnamon colored tummy who has grown up with dogs and chooses to live with my bullies and so she's in a category by herself. She closes her eyes, meows at me and leaves her mouth open that's so strange but makes me laugh and my husband adores her. He seems to think Daisy protects him from spirits and things that go bump in the night. Can't imagine them not being there and I always remind myself that cats live a long time these days with better cat nutrition and vet care. So at this point I hope I live long enough because I want to make sure they get every bit of love back that they give me. So sleep well little Lucy you made your little life count in so many ways by the love and comfort of your presence to your loving humans.

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
That is such a wonderful story of your daughter and her Lucy. :cry: My Lucy rest now knowing she was the most loved and perfect companion to a little girl through her whole childhood.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Boy Vic..that's a tough one..when to tell your daughter..I think IF it were me...I would do it soon. You'll just fret over it and if she's as compassionate as her Mom...she will be ok. No easy way to handle this...:hug:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.