Worried

jen74401

Feb 18, 2012
Oklahoma
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Beefy
My husband had been wanting a Mastiff pup for quite some time and I thought we had found the perfect one. We did a partial prepay for the pup and thought we were getting a healthy dog. Well, we got him today. The poor guy is covered in fleas and he's skinny. I asked the breeder about the food he was on so I could continue the food plan or at least do a slow transition. The guy said Ol Roy, ewww, wth! People really feed their dogs that crap? Thennnn, this poor thing is scared to death and then I find out that he has been kept in a kennel outside with his mother and litter mates and has had little interactions with people. OMG! WTH?!?! I asked him about the fleas and he said "umm, well, I dipped him?" Uhhhh, you did what? Can you "dip" a pup that young? He's 9 weeks old. I gave the guy the rest of the money just so I could get him out of the hell hole that they had him in. Ughhh, this is terrible! I feel so bad!

Poppy

Dec 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Poppy, Bunk
My husband had been wanting a Mastiff pup for quite some time and I thought we had found the perfect one. We did a partial prepay for the pup and thought we were getting a healthy dog. Well, we got him today. The poor guy is covered in fleas and he's skinny. I asked the breeder about the food he was on so I could continue the food plan or at least do a slow transition. The guy said Ol Roy, ewww, wth! People really feed their dogs that crap? Thennnn, this poor thing is scared to death and then I find out that he has been kept in a kennel outside with his mother and litter mates and has had little interactions with people. OMG! WTH?!?! I asked him about the fleas and he said "umm, well, I dipped him?" Uhhhh, you did what? Can you "dip" a pup that young? He's 9 weeks old. I gave the guy the rest of the money just so I could get him out of the hell hole that they had him in. Ughhh, this is terrible! I feel so bad!

Oh no.... That's awful! I guess you didn't get a chance to tour his home? Is there a way you can report this breeder? I would also smear him on the Internet. I know cooler heads should prevail but these poor animals... :(

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
awww poor baby!! So glad you got him out of there and hopefully the other puppies won't suffer for too long before they find loving homes

OP
jen74401

jen74401

Feb 18, 2012
Oklahoma
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Beefy
Oh no.... That's awful! I guess you didn't get a chance to tour his home? Is there a way you can report this breeder? I would also smear him on the Internet. I know cooler heads should prevail but these poor animals... :(

The home that I saw was not in poor conditions. Everything that I saw made me think that we were doing a good thing until today. I was under the impression that it was much better but then it turned out the exact opposite today. I'm going to skip my classes tomorrow and get him in to the vet. I plan on making a bunch of phone calls as well. This guy actually thought his dog was great and that they were coming from a great environment. He even asked me today "Do you have a good kennel to keep in outside?" Umm, I don't keep my dogs outside, you mass producing puppy breeding a**hole! I gave him a good bath and he's asleep on my couch at the moment. I'm having to keep Beefy away because the pup is scared to death of him. I can't even get the little guy to eat anything.

Poppy

Dec 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Poppy, Bunk
The home that I saw was not in poor conditions. Everything that I saw made me think that we were doing a good thing until today. I was under the impression that it was much better but then it turned out the exact opposite today. I'm going to skip my classes tomorrow and get him in to the vet. I plan on making a bunch of phone calls as well. This guy actually thought his dog was great and that they were coming from a great environment. He even asked me today "Do you have a good kennel to keep in outside?" Umm, I don't keep my dogs outside, you mass producing puppy breeding a**hole! I gave him a good bath and he's asleep on my couch at the moment. I'm having to keep Beefy away because the pup is scared to death of him. I can't even get the little guy to eat anything.

Poor fella, he's so lucky to be in your family! He will adjust just fine after some time. Dogs are resilient animals. I've heard that Dawn dish soap is good for killing fleas (on cats), I bet he appreciated the bath.

If he continues to refuse to eat, get some canned tripe. It stinks like hell but dogs cannot refuse it! Plus it'll help pack on some pounds.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Ohhh poor baby! Well..you were sent to him..and he will thrive. He probably hasn't been socialized..so that's going to be very important. I have an excellent flea remedy. We used it on a 3 week old rescued kitten..and even though we thought we would need another round..he never did. And I swear some of those suckers were bigger than that poor kitten! Get Dawn dish soap..the plain blue one. Put Vaseline circling your pups eyes..this will entrap the fleas as they "FLEE" to his eyes for safety! Fill your sink or tub with enough water that it reaches to his neck. Put him in the water..squirt the dawn on him and lather..lather..lather! Use a flea comb and tweezers..you will be amazed! Let it sit for 10 minutes..rinse well and if possible repeat. This detergent actually kills the fleas.. As usual don't get lather in eyes..rinse..rinse...comb..comb...you will have a pup with dead or dieing fleas! :up:

Approved on doggies too!

SunDog

Mar 26, 2011
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Lupe (or Lulu)
Wow. Useful information, and worrisome, but also...congrats on your new puppy!!!

GRACIE11

Feb 11, 2012
Fairbank, Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie Mae "The Diva"
Wow poor puppy. I hope your phone calls do some good:yes: You are an :angel: Lets hope this piece of :poo: Stops breeding :yes:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So sad.... poor little pups. :cursing: - people suck. Very happy you rescued him from that life and hopefully the others will get new homes quickly.

L

Lucy-licious

awww poor sweet baby....i'm sure with a little TLC he will very soon be OK :love:

OP
jen74401

jen74401

Feb 18, 2012
Oklahoma
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Beefy
Thank you so much for the suggestions, I'll give the Dawn a shot. I think he may be fear aggressive. He has attacked my cats and Beefy. Not just a little nip but a full on attack. :(

Poppy

Dec 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Poppy, Bunk
I guess that's due to the lack of socialization.. And being scared out of his mind (survival mode). Keep him on a short leash always, let it drag around the house so u can easily grab him. Eventually he will ease up, but you may need assistance from friends or professionals. How is he on walks? Master the solo walk and then walk both dogs together.

Did the cats give him a good smack? Sorry not helpful on this front. Puppies usually learn quickly not to mess with cats.. They are evil buggers. For their own safety you could keep a baby gate up.. That way they can smell eachother but only interact when the cat wants.

OP
jen74401

jen74401

Feb 18, 2012
Oklahoma
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Beefy
I guess that's due to the lack of socialization.. And being scared out of his mind (survival mode). Keep him on a short leash always, let it drag around the house so u can easily grab him. Eventually he will ease up, but you may need assistance from friends or professionals. How is he on walks? Master the solo walk and then walk both dogs together.

Did the cats give him a good smack? Sorry not helpful on this front. Puppies usually learn quickly not to mess with cats.. They are evil buggers. For their own safety you could keep a baby gate up.. That way they can smell eachother but only interact when the cat wants.

I stand close any time the pup is near any of our animals but he attacks either way. I put Beefy in his kennel at night and this morning I had the pup walking by the kennel and he tried to attack Beefy. I was sitting in the floor with Beef ion my lap and the pup just walks over and tries attacking. Yea, the cats smack him but they are declawed so I'm not too sure it helped, lol

This pup tries to hide behind everything. If you get near him he tucks his tail and hides. If you talk to him, he hides. If you put him in his kennel for a few minutes, you have to climb in and pull him out. I feel so bad.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Wow lucky for him you came around. People never cease to amaze me. :mad:

@JAKEISGREAT, That's great info to know on the flea wash. I don't have to deal with them thank goodness but good to know.

Oh, please post pics. I love Mastiff. Emma has a 5 month old in her training class. He's gorgeous!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.