Help, what can I do??

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
So most of you know we adopted another dog, errr, I mean cat, a Lilac Siamese. Wow what a personality, he really thinks he is a dog, he fetches and everything. Well tonight I get home and him and Vegas greet me at the door then he runs over and started sharpening his claws on our new leather loveseat :eek::nonono:. I ran over to get him and he ran, I looked at the damage and obviously this was not his first time :cursing:. What can I do?? We have two different types of scratching post and a squirt gun. Is there anything I can use like bitter apple for dogs? I can not have this happen!!!! I haven't had a cat for years, Joe is a cat man, now I know why I haven't!!

Just look at this picture and tell me he does not look EVIL :evil: I call him Devil, as he has broke many of my glass decorations, mainly around 4 a.m. and tortures pooooor Vegas.

SAM_2172.jpg

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Have him de-clawed.

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] mentioned something about having some tendons cut instead of declawing to prevent shredding & clawing leather furniture, drapes, etc. I know our cat has her own scratching posts (2) and a bunch of trees outside but still scratches the furniture and gets in our indoor plants and "gardens" at night. Cats are really hard to control and hard on leather furniture! Sorry, no help here!

OP
KMARINO

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
He really is a sweet-heart, very entertaining (not at 4 a.m.) but sooo much personality. I have never had a cat like this one. He is really like having another dog. Secretly I do love him, but I do call him Devil, [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION], I kind of sort of think the same, yet I think de-clawing them is inhumane. It is actually removing their first knuckle. I am torn on how I feel about this.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
@KMARINO....I've gotten my cats a procedure called tendenectomy. It's minimal and recovery time is almost immediate. The vet cuts one of the tendons that lets the cat do the in and out of their claws. There are a couple stitches visible and probably a few dissolvable inside. The cat still has their claws..they just can't do the shredding motion. You do have to trim the nails every so often because their nails still grow. But it's nothing and eventually their nails hardly grow. It's harder on an older cat to have done because their tendons are thicker..but compared to a declaw it's nothing! I had a cat declawed once and Kelly..it was horrendous. It's an amputation..and each toe is amputated. I felt horrible after I did it and was so relieved to find another option. You can also have these tips put on their nails..but I've always heard how it doesn't last and is just a gimmick. For now..trim his nails and keep them short..get him a cat scratcher..or one or two! I found a great one at petsmart..you know..the one Jake ate..:cursing:...well both my cats love it..hope this helps!

P.s. it isn't near as expensive either! Personally..Kelly..I think declawing should be banned.

Last edited:

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
I always had cats that were declawed. Our Daisey has her claws but does not scratch the furniture. She is an indoor/outdoor cat so I am sure she gets her scratches in out in nature. Daisey is an adopted cat, however we knew she was NOT a scratcher when we got her. She is a perfect cat for us. Loves to be cuddled yet is very independent.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Have you tried the two sided sticky tape? The sticky tape worked pretty good till one of them figured out how to bite and pull it off and even tried to eat it! :ohmy:
I've got four scratching posts around the house but they still occasionally use the furniture but not too much. I don't have leather couches though. What worries me is that they use the carpeted stairs to scratch and the bottom step has lost a lot of carpet fibers but not very noticeable considering there are three cats on that side of the house.

Poppy

Dec 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Poppy, Bunk
Put a scratch post beside your sofa and double stick tape (sold at pet stores) on the sides of the furniture. I covered my new sofa with this before we brought the cat home (in case she was an a-hole, turns out she isn't!). Anyway one day she accidentally stepped on the tape and went flying across the room LOL.

The nail caps might be a hit or miss but I would try it for a month before considering any surgeries.

Good luck! Love the evil looking cat.

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
I don't have any alternate suggestion, but I would like to put my vote in against the declawing....I find it very inhumane also. Sorry, I hate giving an opinion against something and not having an alternative suggestion, but just had to put it out there. The cats that I've had just listened to me when I said no (most of the time)...apparently I had the rarest cats in the world....b/c cats will just do what they want. Kind of like when a Bulldog is hearing you tell him to do something and you can see him thinking about whether or not he wants to do it. :D

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
When my children were small my daughter brought home a kitten.... said her friend couldn't keep it with their other cat so she offered to keep it til they found it a new home..... yeah right. Frosty finally died after seventeen years with us.... I loved that darn cat! We had him declawed as a kitten and he had a long, happy life. He loved to go out at night. Quite often he would bring home his nights 'catch'; usually a chipmunk which are thought of as pests here. RIP Frosty :heart:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online