Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
:cursing: :cursing:

The Putnam County Sheriff's Office placed a blue tarp over the area where dogs were being held because of their breed in an attempt to hide their identities.

Putnam County Florida will hold a stray dog for five days to give an owner time to reclaim it. After that, animals are put up for adoption or euthanized for room; except in the case of Pit Bulls, which are automatically euthanized. The Putnam County Sheriff’s Department posted a note on their Facebook page last night defending their policy of not allowing Pit Bulls to be adopted out of their shelter. However, their policy is in direct opposition to Florida statute 767.14.

The Florida statute clearly states that communities are permitted to make their own regulations regarding problem dogs, but just as clearly states that those regulations cannot be based on breed. For instance, if a dog has a history of being aggressive, the county may impose fines or restrictions such as requiring the dog to be confined. The county cannot, however, make the blanket decision to discriminate against a breed of dog. Such discrimination is termed BSL (Breed Specific Legislation), and it is prohibited by Florida law.

James Cueva, an attorney for the Miami Coalition Against Breed Specific Legislation said that Putnam County is in violation of the state statute and is operating outside of state law.

Jen Watson, with Pit Sisters Rescue in Jacksonville, discovered Putnam County’s policy when she called their animal control to pull a Pit Bull for her rescue. Watson was told that Pit Bulls at the facility are not adopted out. When Watson commented “That has to change.” She was told by a Putnam official that it would never change.

This means that any Pit Bull taken into Putnam County Animal Control is euthanized after the five day stray hold without ever being made available for public adoption or rescue. When an employee there was asked how it’s decided which dogs are bully breeds, she referred the question to the Sheriff’s Department, where the buck was passed from one official to another, until someone at the Putnam Sheriff’s Department finally provided this explanation via email:

We deem dogs which are obviously, to any reasonable person who may see them, Pit Bull terriers.

That method might work if the average reasonable person could actually identify a Pit Bull. However, the website pitbullsontheweb.com demonstrates just how difficult that can be. The mis-identification of breeds is one of the saddest results of breed specific legislation, and the best argument for discontinuing breed discrimination.
The Putnam County facility uses the cruel heartstick method of killing dogs and cats.

An error at the facility recently allowed one particularly docile Pit Bull to squeak through the system and be pulled by a rescue group. The rescue placed the dog in a foster home, but a few days later the Sheriff of Putnam, Jeff Hardy, demanded that the dog be returned to the county shelter.

The rescue set up a meeting with Sheriff Hardy, but when he was a no-show they refused to return the dog. The consequences were devastating. According to one advocate more than 17 bully breed dogs were euthanized on Friday in what may have been a retaliation and show of force. The Sheriff’s department would not verify that number and will only admit to killing five Pit Bulls that day, but 21 dogs that were photographed on Thursday, March 8th were missing from the shelter on Monday, March 12. An inside source said that seventeen of them had been euthanized and four were unaccounted for.

Putnam told rescues and advocates today that they would not allow any more photos to be taken of the bully breeds at the facility, and they have quarantined those dogs to an area that they have covered with a tarp. Rescuers are now restricted from seeing how many dogs are being held, and worry that the dogs under the tarp are not receiving proper ventilation under the Florida sun.

Pit Sisters Rescue is asking animal advocates to sign the petition they have started on change.org. The petition appeals to Putnam County officials to change their policy of breed discrimination.

Kelly, have you heard of this? @KMARINO.

@2BullyMama (thought you'd like to see this too)

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
[MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION]. I have not heard of it or even seen it on our news, I did sign the petition though, thanks for making me aware of this. Some people just suck, especially the ones that we are suppose to respect and look up too!

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
IMG_0375.jpgIMG_0480.jpgIMG_0366.jpgThis is very close to my heart as I had 2 pitbulls and still have 1...I will just say this is absolutely disgusting that people could act this way! Yes they are a strong breed, determined, agressive at times if not taught otherwise. We need to understand most of owners of thse pitbulls are not teaching correct ways and enforcing good beahivor that is why some pitbulls are ending up in situations where they need to protect themselves. Its not just pitbulls that can bite, you have to teach a dog just like a child right from wrong... Thank you so much for posting this and bringing light to this situation b.c it is happening everywhere! I love my Chanel more than anything and couldnt imagine my life without her! She has seen me through times when I didnt even think I had the strength to continue fighting! She has been my rock and my life!!! Okay I will stop now! But seriously look at her she also doesnt look 100% pitbull and she is mother was and father was as I had her mother first but unfortunatley she was either stolen from my yard which is 99% of what we think or she ran(never ran away in 4 years I had her!!!!
THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS !
This is Chanel at the bottom and thank you for posting this from me and her!!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
That is HORRIBLE! People are unbelievable sometimes. Gios best friend is a pitbull across the street named Skyler. She is the sweetest dog! People need to realize that these dogs can be great loving pets if they are taught right! This just breaks my heart!

OP
JeannieCO

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
We've had 4 pitties, one right now (Jack) and our others are at Rainbow Bridge as of this past year. You'll never convince others that they are fantastic dogs because they'll only believe the propaganda from the news. Any Breed Ban is simply WRONG!!! One of the worst part to me about this entire thing is that they're keeping them covered with a tarp to avoid their identities. So WTF does that mean if you lost your dog you won't be able to claim it, even if on day 1. Unbelievable!!!!

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I am surprised everytime I hear about breed specific legislation. In a nearby town they have to carry extra insurance to own a pitbull because of BSL. It's crazy, I really can't believe thats even legal.

I did go to that website about how hard it is to actually identify a pitbull...and they aren't kidding, it took me about 3 tries before I actually found the right photo!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.