JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Hey all, most of you know the boys got neutered yesterday. Wilson is his old self today but Jack is not. He only ate half of his food this morning, he has the runs, and will not eat tonight. He's on Tramadol 50mg (every 8 hrs) and Rimadyl 75mg (once a day) for pain. He had one of each this am. I just gave him another pain pill about 30 minutes ago (he had one this morning but that's it).

Is it normal for them to stay in pain a full day later? His pain prescription is for 4 days. I'm a bit worried about him right now. He's walking a bit hunched over too.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
He is all muscle and probably still sore.... check the area to see if it looks OK. If he is the same in the morning, I would call the vet to see if he should still be in pain. Nitschke was like Wilson --- one day and back to normal

OP
JeannieCO

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
No redness and no oozing. I'll keep an eye on him tonight. He's a solid muscular dog, and quite strong. I may have did it last night, he was moving around while Wilson was passed out. He jumped up and off the bed a couple of times too. He's pretty hunched right now though.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
My dogs were back to normal to afterward like Wilson. I would call the vet if he is not better tomorrow. Poor thing I hope he gets better

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Limited to my experience only - it can take up to 3 days if they're more mobile than they should be after surgery. We had dogs before that we crated after we had them neutered. Only let out to go bathroom and eat, and they were back to normal 2 days later. We had a dog before that was not crated and it took him longer to get back to normal because when he starts to feel pain (meds start to wear off) he would run around. Wierd dog.

Last edited:

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
I only have experiance with my son's German Sheppard, I guess Grandma's house is better for post-op recovery than his apartment.....lol

Anyway, I know that the worst thing is Swelling, like they have re-grown the jewels. So watch out for that. Also keep him from jumping up on the bed etc...he could tear the stitches. He might just take longer.....my ex sat on the sofa for 4 days with a bag of ice and a bottle of wine, so you never know.:ROFL:

OP
JeannieCO

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I only have experiance with my son's German Sheppard, I guess Grandma's house is better for post-op recovery than his apartment.....lol

Anyway, I know that the worst thing is Swelling, like they have re-grown the jewels. So watch out for that. Also keep him from jumping up on the bed etc...he could tear the stitches. He might just take longer.....my ex sat on the sofa for 4 days with a bag of ice and a bottle of wine, so you never know.:ROFL:
:ROFL: :ROFL:

I guess he over did it last night. I'll report back tomorrow.

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
[MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] , I think he over dod it by jumping up and on the bed and he might be a little bit uncomfortable and in some pain today. Keep an eye on him and try and to keep him calm and resting. Perhaps in his crate. I think after he rests he will feel a bit better.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Oh no, poor Jack! He's so use to being active. I feel for him. I don't recall any problems with my Louies neutering, except he never stopped being a loco dog. He did pee a lot more and hasn't stopped peeing a lot since. Wilson is not fixed.

OP
JeannieCO

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
We're waiting for our vet to open at 7:30 and will take him in then. His front legs are real stiff again like they were when he had HOD. He definitely over did himself and that's our fault :mad:. He still has the runs, won't eat, and water is at a minimum. I know he's running a fever but my thermometer is broken, nice! I'm holding off on giving him his pain meds in case we need to give him prednisone again. I'll keep you all posted. :(

Last edited:
OP
JeannieCO

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ok, we're all back and Jack's settled in. He had another bout of his HOD that was triggered from the stress of getting neutered and the anesthesia. He got a prednisone shot and will take a prednisone pill later today. I have to say, we have the best vet ever!!

Here's Jack after we got back and Emma snuggled up with him. :luv:

IMG_0965.jpg

We took Emma with us and she got her wellness check. He said she's beautiful!!!

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
[MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] , those two love each other:luv:!!! It is so cute to see them together!
Hope today is a better day for Jack!

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Jeannie, glad to hear the update and that you're all back home safe and sound. I cannot see the picture of the two of them on my work computer but will take a peek on my phone soon. :)
Give Jack a big old smooch and hugs from me and the boys! :heart:

OP
JeannieCO

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks [MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION] and [MENTION=1710]LisaMarie[/MENTION]. Jack ate just a bit and is drinking water again. He should be back to normal mby tomorrow. Emma just loves him!!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.