HELP!!! Ringworm???

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
This litterally happened today, this morning as I was getting ready for work Jester was right there laying on the bathroom sink counter and I didn't notice anything. Tonight I get home and notice right away a bald spot!!

I started googeling and what I have come up with is Ringworm!!! and it is contagious from cats to dogs and humans!!!!

Do you think this looks like it? he has about a 1 inch bald spot with a crusty almost like mosquito bite in the middle...

Neither Joe or I can get off until Friday to take him to the vet, we are making an appointment in the morning. Is there anything I can do at home? Jester is eating and playing acting normal, not itching the spot. I am baffled.

I swear I was NOT choking him in the picture as it appears that I am, I was just holding his head down and he was purring the whole time. Has anyone dealt with this? What precaustions can I take? We adopted him just about 16 days ago, why would this just now show up? I see no signs on Vegas yet...HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ringworm001.jpg

ringworm002.jpg

Last edited:

acarabias

Sep 15, 2011
El Paso, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Aldo Chocolate, Katara Fiona, Bruno Cannoli
Is he on a new food? I wonder if it's allergies to his food. It looks very similar to Aldos hotspot. I have a friend at work that jas a cat with hotspots at it is a recurrent thing. She has tested negative for ringworm but she licks it and can't heal. The cat has to wear a cone.

OP
KMARINO

KMARINO

Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
[MENTION=3247]acarabias[/MENTION], as a matter of fact his IS! but the bald spot had a crusty spot in the middle???? When we adopted him he was eating crap, I switched him to Blue Buffalo grain free Chicken. Why would he have the scaley sore in the middle of the bald spot??

OP
KMARINO

KMARINO

Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Also it is not red and inflamed as I just googled pictures of hotspots on cats, it does have a crusty mosquito looking bite in the middle of the hotspot, but it is not red or oozing.

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
Do you have a blacklight. Ringworms will glow in the light of it.

OP
KMARINO

KMARINO

Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
[MENTION=1930]LaurieLolaandMojo[/MENTION], Joe is taking the lamp to the bathroom, we do have some black lights from Halloween...

OP
KMARINO

KMARINO

Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
[MENTION=1930]LaurieLolaandMojo[/MENTION], no glowing, but it looks more red and crusty under a blacklight.....

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
@LaurieLolaandMojo , no glowing, but it looks more red and crusty under a blacklight.....

Never knew that about ringworm glowing..... it sounds like the beginning of a hotspot, it does not get red and yucky right away....

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
It looks like it could be ringworm to me. Katze, our barn cat turned princess, came to us 2+ years ago with dormant ringworm. Mack and I got it because she sat with us and snuggled every night. She slept in my bed with me so I got it all over. I had an allergic reaction to the topical so I took pills (you have to have your liver tested before taking them). We got oral meds for the boys and Katze, too, plus frequent antifungal baths, washed in hot water with bleach bedding. It was horrible. Thinking about it makes me itch! [MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] the test takes like 15 to 30 days to get results. I hope that isn't what it is, but once they get it if it isn't gotten rid of completely it will come back after being dormant for a while.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
We had ringworm once. My doc said to put Lotrimin on it twice a day and voila, it was gone in a few days and it has not returned after several years. It is fungal and the althletes foot meds did the trick.

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
[MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] I can see from the pics that it is quite big and very red. I hope its not ringworm.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
[MENTION=1906]GatorRay[/MENTION] is right ringworm if thats what it is is a fungus and fungal med will treat it. also fungus should be itchy like athletes foot or jock itch. and it will be scaly. put some fungus meds on it and see if it helps till you get to the appointment.

Most Reactions