Cat Food (Dry) Suggestions?

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
I had just added to my Petflow order Nature's Variety Prairie Salmon Meal and Brown Rice Medley Dry Cat Food and now I find it has been discontinued. Does anyone have any suggestions? Only my daughters cat really likes the Salmon flavors but I'm open to try something new. My other cats are healthy but it's my daughters cat who has an illness that is like a type of cat herpes. Poor thing always has a stuffy nose and weepy eyes. Apparently he's had this since we adopted him from the shelter and it seems to get worse every year. They all get Forte Flora and Viralys which keeps them from getting this virus (I read somewhere on the internet) and my local vet knows all my cats but there is no real cure for my daughters cat. We've run every kind of test there is for him and it all points to this incurable illness. All cats are fixed. Well none of my other cats have shown any illness in the 3 years that I've had them. Well I digress. What I really want is a good cat food kibble that you know is tasty to your own cats. Thanks in advance. :D

OP
Fontanafox

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Funny you should pick that one. It was one I was considering because it had the word "Finicky." Although I know Blue Buffalo is also a good name in the pet food industry.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I'm not a big help here. I have struggled to find the right cat food recently for my elderly kitty, who is losing weight.

We had some luck with Avoderm, who makes a salmon formula - and the litter box was a lot less stinky - but I switched again to see of a hypoallergenic food might help. (So far, it hasn't.)

Anyway, let me know if you find something good!

OP
Fontanafox

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
[MENTION=860]sheshistory[/MENTION]...OK...I'll keep ya posted. My daughters sickly kitty is also losing weight but he does eat well. He's been wanting to sleep on my electric blanket the last few nights so I know he's not feeling well. I think I'll try [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] suggestion of the Finicky Feast by Blue for starters. Thanks for the reply. I hope your elderly kitty makes a comeback. I've heard of cats living well into their teens.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
[MENTION=860]sheshistory[/MENTION] ..baby food meats work great on old kitties! My old guy was allergic to everything but Ham.apparently the ham is pretty close to unprocessed..so he could tolerate it. But it helps keep thie weight on. He was diabetic so I had to make sure he ate enough for his insulin. Walmart (:barf:) has the best price around! @Fontanfox..tht Finicky Feast is available at petco too..if you want try a small one first!. Good luck.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Thanks for the suggestion [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] - I might try it. I just bought a tube of Tomryn Nutri-something that you squeeze on to kitty food for calories and vitamins but Buddy hates it so far. He's so tiny now & having trouble jumping up on things that previously never gave him a problem. :(

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Thanks for the suggestion @JAKEISGREAT - I might try it. I just bought a tube of Tomryn Nutri-something that you squeeze on to kitty food for calories and vitamins but Buddy hates it so far. He's so tiny now & having trouble jumping up on things that previously never gave him a problem. :(

I know EXACTLY what you are feeling. Sadly,old kitties just lose so much weight. I have a very good friend who taught me a lot about tricks to deal with old critters. At this point in their lives,you just want him to eat. Putting weight on is so difficult. If your kitty doesn't have allergy problems you can switch up the meats. Also...plain old canned tuna..in water ...they love that!

Last edited:

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Hi [MENTION=1760]Fontanafox[/MENTION] - I wanted bring this thread back to the original question and I apologize for hijacking - I was just all over the place with the declining health of my cat.

Anyway, I wanted to say that my other kitty, Scotches, had a difficult tummy at times and some allergy problems. He likes and does really well on the moderately priced Authority Sensitive Solutions Cat Food sold at Petsmart. It has no corn and has meat as it's major ingredients. Scotches is a bit finicky and he really gobbles it up so that might be an option that is both healthy and moderately priced, compared to some of the other higher end brands.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
my 2 8 year old cats are on go natural fit and free chicken turkey n duck formula. its very high protein little carbs. also they make a chicken one with grains with not so high protein. my cats love it. @fotanafox why dont they use one of the other nv prairie formulas. i mean if they were doing good on that one the easiest would be to try another protein. if you need a salmon recipe with grains let me know ill find you one.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.